Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 14:50   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Seeking foul weather gear advice for Gulf of Mexico

i wear sweats at night and tanks and shorts in daylight south of 22nd parallel. north--you will need foulies or feece, dependng on season and weather.
btw--storm season is in different times of year in the pacific--it is a huge ocean. make sure you are not sailing into some kind of nastiness you donot wish to encounter.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:11   #32

Re: Seeking foul weather gear advice for Gulf of Mexico

End results:

On Feb. 1, we sailed. motor-sailed and motored from Punta Gorda, FL to Ft. Myers to Key West to Dry Tortugas to Isla Mujeres, Mexico. We experienced plenty of wind, big waves and cool weather. Got held up in Key West and Dry Tortugas waiting for a weather window.

Prior to my departure and with the help the contributors above, I purchased a set of West Marine's Third Reef foul weather jacket and bib overalls. They were on sale and I paid $129 for the jacket and $109 for the bibs. I also purchased a pair of Ronstan Sailing boots from WM for $50. In addition, I packed wicking long underwear tops and bottoms, a fleece jacket and a windproof hat and pair of gloves.

I used all of them....together! It got cold out there, especially when under sail in the wind and rain. I was very glad I made the investments in my comfort that I did.

I do have one minor issue with the Third Reef bib overalls in that the don't provide a convenient access when one needs to pee. I had to remove my PFD to remove or at least open up my jacket in order to loosen the suspenders that hold up the bibs to drop the bibs low enough to take care of business. One well placed zipper would have made a world of difference!

Thanks for the many responses to my query. Your advice was well heeded!

Terry
phaon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear, gear, gulf of mexico, Mexico, weather