Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 11:51   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sea Sickness - best preventions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
BTW - just about anyone who can read while a passenger in a moving car, will likely not get sea sick.
For what it's worth, I can read while riding as a passenger with no problem, even on winding roads (so far at least). I've been seasick plenty of times.

For me, I've found that Bonine works for me (or perhaps Non-Drowsy Dramamine; they're the same formulation.) I start taking it a day or two before we head out and it does help. For the first couple of days in rough conditions I may be feeling a bit off, but I can function just fine, even reading or working on the computer down below. I'm snacking on candied ginger and crackers, but can hold down my food with no problem. Bonine was recommended to me by a doctor who trains crew at the Cal Maritime Academy, and he's had lots of experience with this stuff.

I also believe that the placebo effect is strong. That's one reason I use Bonine instead of the Non-Drowsy Dramamine equivalent.

I've had crew try Bonine, the Scopalamine Patch, Gravol, and other remedies. Sometimes these work, other times they don't. Everyone is different.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:35   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott

For what it's worth, I can read while riding as a passenger with no problem, even on winding roads (so far at least). I've been seasick plenty of times.

For me, I've found that Bonine works for me (or perhaps Non-Drowsy Dramamine; they're the same formulation.) I start taking it a day or two before we head out and it does help. For the first couple of days in rough conditions I may be feeling a bit off, but I can function just fine, even reading or working on the computer down below. I'm snacking on candied ginger and crackers, but can hold down my food with no problem. Bonine was recommended to me by a doctor who trains crew at the Cal Maritime Academy, and he's had lots of experience with this stuff.

I also believe that the placebo effect is strong. That's one reason I use Bonine instead of the Non-Drowsy Dramamine equivalent.

I've had crew try Bonine, the Scopalamine Patch, Gravol, and other remedies. Sometimes these work, other times they don't. Everyone is different.
Proof of how idiosyncratic the whole complex is. I get sick as a dog reading in a car, within a millisecond. But never felt the slightest twinge of seasickness on a boat in at least 20,000 miles at sea over four decades, which means Im always the cook in rough weather. Did an hour of aerobatics in an L39 jet fighter trainer, without a twinge - felt great. Everyone reacts in his own way to various motion situations.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:02   #48

Boat: Riviera Excalibur 47

Ok thanks to all who responded - even Pickpaul and DefinitelyMe!
We had a trip this weekend and all went well.
We got exceptionally lucky with the weather and had only a meter or so of sea and a 10 knot blow on the bow. my wife got both the kids to take half a tablet on the way out and it knocked my little guy (6 YO) around pretty good. I thought he was going to be sick because of the tablet. got all drowsy and complained of nausea.
On the way home tonight we skipped the medication and both kids were much better. Happy and excited especially heading out past the headlands with heavy pitching at 25kts begging me to go faster. They both went down hill quickly when we slowed up to troll a lure for a while so pulled in the lines and headed back into the swell at speed for some excitement. As per Wellin's advise on taking the helm it got them head up into the wind looking out in front. They both perked up again and we carried on fine.
In the end we've put in a few good hours each way at sea and they will be that much better off for it for our next run.
thanks again for all the advice./
madforboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:29   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Proof of how idiosyncratic the whole complex is. I get sick as a dog reading in a car, within a millisecond. But never felt the slightest twinge of seasickness on a boat in at least 20,000 miles at sea over four decades, which means Im always the cook in rough weather. Did an hour of aerobatics in an L39 jet fighter trainer, without a twinge - felt great. Everyone reacts in his own way to various motion situations.
LOL, I thought I was alone in this regard. I have been prone to severe car sickness since I was a kid. Never a moment ill either sailing (including rough conditions in Bass Strait) or aerobatics when gliding (I instructed, so these were a regular occurrence).

An acquaintance swears by having teaspoons of preprepared freshly grated ginger mixed with honey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madforboats View Post
In the end we've put in a few good hours each way at sea and they will be that much better off for it for our next run.
Really glad the kids had a good experience .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24   #50

Boat: Morgan 383

Sturgeron is available in Mexico (or was in 2013.) We found it available in 2 strength dosages (25 & 75 mg? Don't recall details.)

We have had good experience with the oral tablet version of The Patch. We will often take 1/2 tablet each if we expect unsettled conditions, (3-5' seas.) We have not noticed any side affects.

I understand that a potential side affect of The Patch is hallucinations. We have a friend who had problems with this.
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 18:50   #51

Boat: Catalina 380
Re: Sea Sickness - Best Preventions

Get Sturgeron 25 mg's per tablet. Works wonders. This from soneone who has suffered from this affliction for years. I look on it as a miracle drug that helps me do what I love.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 12:35   #52

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Turkey Baster.

Forgot about this until just now. On a previous boat the PO had left, among tons of other junk, a turkey baster. Odd thing to have on a boat I thought, but it was in good shape so I kept it...still unsure of what I would ever use it for.

Many months later, seasick friend aboard, I explained to them that seasickness could be fatal due to dehydration, but nausea prevents hydration by normal means...and produced the turkey baster. They made a speedy miraculous recovery!

Over the years, this technique proved itself effective many times.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 12:47   #53

Boat: Catalina 320

And the turkey baster is used to, never mind I don't think I really want to know.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 14:05   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
And the turkey baster is used to, never mind I don't think I really want to know.
Alternative route hydration.

I never actually used it for this, just planted the thought in their heads...that was enough.
Old 24-10-2015, 14:30   #55

Boat: Catalina 320

I was afraid of that, the thought might not cure my seasickness but I'd sure stop whining about it.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 15:11   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I was afraid of that, the thought might not cure my seasickness but I'd sure stop whining about it.
Either way, works for me!
Old 29-10-2015, 06:50   #57

I have only ever been seasick once (only when I went below, during a Force 10+ in the Bay of Biscay), and I never want to repeat the experience. So I'll use a preventative until I am sure I have my sea legs.

Stugeron is the bees knees. Yes, the recommended dosage of two tablets, makes you sleepy. So I don't take two. I take HALF of one tablet, at least 30 minutes before getting on a boat (even on Cross Channel Ferries), and will take another HALF at 24 hour ish intervals.

Zero drowsiness problems as a result.

When coming back to the UK on a CCF, there was a party of French mid teens youngsters on board, and two of them were suffering horribly - especially one girl, but both were too miserable for words. So I got permission to go down to the vehicle deck, and collect the Stugeron from the tank bag on my motorbike, and gave the two sufferers two each, with instructions to put them under their tongue and not swallow them (they would have thrown them up) but let them dissolve there. Within 10 minutes they were both much better, within a few more minutes they were right as rain. I left the almost full packet of Stugeron with the party, so they could each take a half tablet 30 minutes before getting on the ferry for their return journey a couple of weeks later.

On another occasion, I accompanied a friend on his post purchase guided sail down the tricky estuary where the boat was moored, along with the previous owner. I offered them both a half Stugeron before getting on board, but both declined and said that they don't get seasick. Their choice.

After exiting the estuary on a superb sunny and calm morning, we dropped anchor several 100 yds off the beach, and I left new owner and previous owner going over all the ins and outs of the vessel, while I disappeared below and put breakfast on. With a tray laden with bacon sandwiches, toast and marmalade*, and steaming mugs of tea, on returning above decks, rather than them sunbathing happily as I imagined, after their chatter ended, I found both of them to be literally green (I had never seen anybody actually green with seasickness before). The long, slow swell at anchor, had done them both in.

Luckily I hadn't left the Stugeron in the car as I had intended, the packet was still in my jacket. So I sat and watched what happened to them, after they put two Stugeron under their tongues to dissolve.

Within 10 minutes, they were perking up, and the green was dropping from their faces, to be replaced with a deathly white. Within another 10 minutes, their colour returned to their faces

Breakfast and tea now stone cold, muggins had to go below and make more, while they lifted anchor and set sail for a harbour a few miles down the coast, where we planned to visit the pub for lunch.

When we got there and dropped anchor, prior owner and new owner were stretched out on the cockpit cushions, and rapidly fast asleep, so I had to go to the pub and drink and eat without them.

Don't let anybody get away with suggesting different, Stugeron work, and HALF a tablet 30+ minutes prior to going on board, works really well too.

The only links I have with Stugeron are as a user over several decades, and as I am determined to always have as good a time as possible while afloat, I have never had a second occasion of seasickness ever since I started using them.

Prevention is much, much better than cure.

*Did you know Marmalade was a seasickness remedy? The name comes from Mal de Mer (seasickness in French).
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 10:30   #58

Spotted this today on another forum - first time I've seen it. Most everyone loves blueberry!

Feeling queasy? Anchor yourself. – The Anchor Nutrition Bar™
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 10:41   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
Spotted this today on another forum - first time I've seen it. Most everyone loves blueberry!

Feeling queasy? Anchor yourself. – The Anchor Nutrition Bar™
I suspect the ginger is the "active" ingredient.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 10:57   #60

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Just read an article in a sailing magazine about this topic. A lot of votes for Stugeron, but an MD advised against it. (Maybe someone else can remember where this article was located....Latitutde 38?)
At any rate, one suggestion that would be easy to try would be wearing an earplug in your non-dominant ear-if you're a righty, wear one in your left ear and vice-versa.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness