Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2013, 05:40   #76

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
When they try to make prism in lenses, the edges of the lens will be much thicker than the center. Since lenses are made out of circular blanks, and frames take on all sorts of odd shapes, if can be impractical to try getting a lens blank that is big enough so that the optical center will be centered over your pupil, while the rest of the blank fills the (half of the) glasses. Or, you wind up as with aviator frames with one "corner" of the lens becoming incredibly thick, too heavy to install, or so thick that it prevents the nose pad from being positioned, or simply so thick it hits your face or eyelid. Aside from that, lenses with special curves, or with different curves on each side, are simply not available from most labs. They're a special order and a shop that doesn't want to chase down special orders won't deal with them. Most shops buy lenses these days, very few actually grind them, the way most optometrists did in the 50's or 60's. "We can do anything for the right price" except, when those pesky laws of physics get in the way. And when the lenses are "special" and the position in the frame and over the eye (centering) is crucial, mail-order frames would really be gambling. The first time I got progressive lenses, I couldn't stand driving with them. Had to tilt my head all the time to get clear distance vision. My optometrist fixed that real fast, had the lenses remade with the optical center raised about 2mm from what the Varilux people recommended, in order to put the part of the rx that I needed, where it needed to be to work with my head and eyes. Mail-ordered couldn't have done that, although a sharp customer could certainly say "Do it again but..." and maybe get it almost right. OTOH all these discount houses are also really great if you are using a local optometrist, because they know you can get glasses cheaper on the web. A discrete enquiry about competing with those prices usually will get you a significant discount, if it is apples top apples. Or at least, an explanation of why it isn't. Like "Well, they can't do this." <G>
Thanks for the great explanation.

I did take the time to think that it could be a risky venture to get mail-order glasses for my prescription. But, what can I say, I was seduced by the price! The thought of dropping a grand or more for two pairs of glasses when I visit the US next week is not very appealing.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 10:28   #77

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Sailors with Corrective Lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
I emailed them for help because after I selected bifocal the option of prism disappeared. They only do it for single vision prescriptions
Ahh. I see.
Old 16-12-2013, 19:06   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I agree that contact lenses are nicest when it's raining or there's lots of spray, but they require that one keep them clean, and that turns out for me to be too much hassle on ocean passages, and I gave them up. I wear polarized sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses most of the time, although I have clip-ons, too. I prever the former because they shield my eyes against UV better, and keep the wind out. I can put up with their looking dorky, because I like my eyes to be comfortable, and the over-the-regular-glasses ones are that, for me.
I was born Dorky and will die Dorky. I feel comfortable Dorky. I am a Dork.

I agree - too much hassle dealing with contacts. I also think that having glasses on has saved me accidental loss more than once. I also don't feel comfortable having my eyes hacked up. My own doctor told me that extreme near-sights like me usually hate the results. I remove glasses and hold the book about 6" from my nose to read. Letters are really large that close and threading a needle is insanely easy. After Laskik I would need glasses to read and aging will make things worse.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 17:21   #79

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I was born Dorky and will die Dorky. I feel comfortable Dorky. I am a Dork.

I agree - too much hassle dealing with contacts. I also think that having glasses on has saved me accidental loss more than once. I also don't feel comfortable having my eyes hacked up. My own doctor told me that extreme near-sights like me usually hate the results. I remove glasses and hold the book about 6" from my nose to read. Letters are really large that close and threading a needle is insanely easy. After Laskik I would need glasses to read and aging will make things worse.
I did not realize that.

I thought my son was a candidate since he cannot see past his elbow. Thanks for the input.

Tags
sail