Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 09:45   #31

Re: Persistent SeaSickness - Discouraging

As an Oceanographer I've been plenty sick plenty of times. Lots of the advice above can help, but for me in a research vessel during a big storm with diesel fumes all around, throwing up as needed while continuing to work is the only answer. However for me on a sailboat, even in tough seas, on the first queeziness I guzzle a cold beer (not at the helm!) and voila! I'm settled.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 09:57   #32

I still get sea sick. No rhyme or reason. Doesn't seem to matter what I eat, what I drink, whether I am inside our out, sea conditions (although I seem less likely to get sick in heavier seas), etc. Nothing has worked consistently. I once threw up while scuba diving 60' down, even though I had a patch on.

The good news, at least for me, but from what I understand many others too, is that it goes away after a few days. One morning I will wake up feeling 100% and hungry. For the rest of the trip, I am fine. In fact, if I can manage to spend at least a few hours off shore every couple of weeks, I will continue my immunity.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Stugeron 15mg.

It is the off shore sailor's friend. I know of some captains that require that all sailors have taken it on land to be sure that they can take it at sea. No side affects...no sleepiness like Dramamine. I swear by it after many miles off shore in weather. I take it as the weather comes up just to be sure, as I single hand a lot and can't be "down". You can buy it in England and in most Commonwealth countries.

Don't leave port without it!
One member of my crew took some Stugeron and was out for 12 hours.

All drugs have side effects and with motion sickness medications they are idiosyncratic.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:05   #34

My wife is a pharmacist who does not recommend Scopolamine as it can affect cognitive ability. Maybe she thinks mine is affected enough already. ;-)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:09   #35

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
One member of my crew took some Stugeron and was out for 12 hours.

All drugs have side effects and with motion sickness medications they are idiosyncratic.

That is why one takes it on land first. Having side affects from Stugeron happens but quite rarely.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:23   #36

Sea sickness varies, as mentioned by others, per individual. All sea sickness is related to the sense of balance as controlled by crystals in the inner ear. Taking meds usually covers the balance by dulling the senses, thus the general malaise or sometimes sense of euphoria. Unfortunately the wearing off of the chosen med is also individual and dependent on metabolism. I say this laughingly now but I swear my mother would get sea sick in the bathtub. We got her on Bonine so she could cruise with us and as she aged, she developed a land based loss of balance due to inner ear problems. It very much mimicked a cross between seasickness and the drunken, head spinning hibbie jibbies w/o use of any alcohol. The doctor prescribed meclazine and that helped but did not completely eliminate the symptom (again, most meds attempt to mask rather than cure the problem). Fortunately, she had had a knee replacement and was seeing a marvelous physical therapist. When she experienced a "bout" of the dizzies and accompanying nausea, she called to cancel her appointment with him. Rather than have her do so, he suggested he could help if she could make it to his office. She had a friend drive her as she was so bad she felt incapacitated. The therapist had her lay on his adjusting table with her head lying off the end. He tilted her head back as far as possible and then turned it to one side and let it rest there for a minute or so (understand the accompanying nausea is exacerbated by the process but absolutely necessary) after a minute on one side, the head is rolled to the opposite side for the same period of time and relief follows. The immediate relief is not as positive as that felt hours later but good enough to know you are better. For those of you thinking the PT was just finding a way to make an extra buck, he did all of this free of charge. What's more, he explained why it worked as it settled the balance crystals in the inner ear back to were they should be. And he showed me (I was there when it occurred another time-no it is not a permanent cure) how to do the adjustment for her with her laying her head off the end of her bed. He also told her in a worse case scenario, she could self adjust w/o anyone's help-harder but doable. Since this all happened my mom's seasickness bouts have also subsided and she has become an avid cruiser (smaller boats are still not her thing though as they tend to rock and roll much more than big ships). The reasons I share this are twofold. If you are experiencing excessive seasickness, I suggest your crystals are out of wack and a little pre trip adjustment might help (certainly can't hurt). Secondly, in a worst case scenario, though I have not done so, an at sea adjustment might be a cure. Fair winds and following seas, Bruce V
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:30   #37

Stick with it and see what works. I get queasy when it is rough and rolly offshore, but never in the Bay. When going offshore I take the advice I heard from a Coast Guard MD: start meclizine (cheap at Costco) 24 hours before shoving off. The day we go I take some as well, then keep it up, then taper. No problems with that regimen even when it is bouncy.

About 15 years ago some friends were preparing to swim the English Channel, and wanted to know what it might be like, and whether their seasickness remedies would work. We took them offshore for a festive ride toward the Farallones. We sailed until the swimmers turned green (~12 miles) then turned around and all was again right in the world again. Sea state matters.

I second the recommendation to avoid going below. Putting on boots down below...not so good. Working on the engine, inverted, with the smell of diesel...even worse.
Bill-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:36   #38

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

I can get motion sickness by just looking at an amusement park ride, but have never been throw up sick on a boat...yet. I will not go to sea without a scopalomine (sp?) patch behind the ear. I was the only person not sick on my last overnight ocean race in winds up to 40 knots and big seas. but I drove a good deal, too, which helps. Since scope patches are 'sensation blockers', they even can help as a quitting smoking aid! (learned that from a doctor). I know that scope won't work for everyone, but my only side effect seems to be a bit of dry mouth. If you don't have side effects, I'd suggest trying it again, but put on the patch the night before you go out.... that will be 2 cents, please.
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:50   #39

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

SING. Sing loud. Get everyone to join in.

Not only is it fun, but the noise stabalized the inner ear, and your seasickness goes away.

Also, seasickness is largely affected by attitude. If you think you will be sick, or are afraid you'll be sick...then you will. Try being in charge. The skipper doesn't get sick cause he doesn't have time to think about being sick...too busy with important tasks.

And you were right...sleep on the boat the night before...spend time on the boat...ramp up to the big waves. Your body gets accustomed to the motion, but it takes a couple days. Beginning of every season I'm a bit sick...but after a few sails, I get over it. I did an atlantic crossing in november...hadn't been on a boat since september, when we haul out here...and we were all sick at first cause none of us had been on a boat in a couple months.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:54   #40

Boat: Island Pscket 31

I found Motioneaze works for me. It can be purchased from West Marine but I am told Walmart carries it. It works fast. A little dab behind your ears and in 5 minutes you feel better.
Sirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 11:04   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I often have people on board that are not tuned in to the ocean, and some with known motion sickness problems. What has always worked was taking Dramamine the night before. It makes you drowsy, you get a good nights sleep, and the next day you're alert and sickness free. In rare cases, someone had to take dramamine 3 nights in a row and had been feeling some queasyness.
Something I learned the hard way in the USN, be careful of what you eat and drink the night before and first morning at sea. No greasy food, no booze the night before leaving port.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 11:21   #42

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Try sleeping on the boat at anchor the night before a trip and also regular SHORT trips. Any time on the boat is familiarizing yourself to the motion. You sound about average for a beginner but are trying to jump straight into longer trips rather than a coupe of hours round the bay. It does get better over time so try not to worry but also try not to do things that make you so often sick you get fed up and don't want to go out. TALK TO YOUR PARTNER and make sure he gives you the time you need to get confident in sailing and get your sea legs.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 11:27   #43

The only sure fire cure for sea sickness is to sit for a while under a shade tree.

"This young man asked a great many questions about seasickness
before we left, and wanted to know what its characteristics were and how
he was to tell when he had it. He found out." — Mark Twain: The innocents Abroad
Old 19-07-2016, 12:09   #44

As others have said, managing seasickness takes experimentation. If there was a drug that worked for everyone - we'd all use it

That said, I've also found Stugeron the best compromise between effectiveness and side-effects. Start the night before. Use the smallest dose that works for you. I find that one 15mg pill every 8 hours is often enough for me. My wife takes even less.

Also, I find that lying down completely flat for 15 minutes at the first feeling of queasiness can really help get by a rough spot.

This is the best general guide I've ever seen

Mahina Expeditions - Offshore Cruising Instruction
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 12:11   #45

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Nervousness is a guaranteed method of getting seasick. Try to think fun thoughts and just kind of ignore your sickness if you start to feel a bit queasy. This doesn't always work but it does much of the time.

If I start to feel sick I "do something else". I've also learned my triggers (going down below and doing intricate work for example) and avoid them when possible.

The key to using bonine is to start taking it the day before and on schedule. We almost always assume that the seas may be rougher than expected and take bonine when we are going offshore for more than the day. If it turns out to be ok, we stop taking it.

Dehydration is a trigger for almost everyone and its so very easy to dehydrate out on the water in the hot sun. Drink lots of water and don't STOP drinking lots of water. Drink way more water than you think can should drink.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote