Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 06:10   #31

Boat: Elan Impression 434
Re: MOB1 RescueMe - can't figure it out

Hi captstu

Up to you
I have 2 mob1 devices that I haven't installed or tested until your post, It prompted me to finish.
Which I did after posting previous post. I had already programmed the devices .
The process wasn't hard by reading and following the instructions. I tested by the instructions and they worked fine both on chart plotter and dsc on the Vhf

Sent from my SM-T810 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Far Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:31   #32

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Far Star,

Thanks for the note -- I, also, programmed and tested my MOB1.

Installation is another matter. The device comes with Eight (8) parts that are used to install it - none of the parts say "Pull for Emergency" and none give any confidence the device will either work when needed or can be pried out of the installation and activated manually.

There are at least two aspects of any emergency device (think fire extinguishers).

1. They MUST work when needed - or at least as close to must as possible.
2. The MUST, absolutely, give confidence that they will work.

Fire extinguishers aren't perfect, but they tell, at a glance, if they are charged and usually give very clear instructions for activation. This device is buried in the life jacket and, if you read carefully, gives cryptic instructions on how to activate it if you are drowning and it fails to work. Huh.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 16:22   #33

Boat: Trisbal 36

Hi captstu,

Unfortunately, it looks as though this discussion is not going anywhere. You seem to have decided that the device will not work, and indeed if you have no confidence it will, then you obviously need to find another path to go.

Please acknowledge, however, that while asserting statements, you are in fact providing your own impression and opinion, and that all the advice and feedback you have received point in another direction.

Furthermore this discussion has taken a lot of time to narrow down the problem because you complained about the programming and then said that it was OK, about the installation and then said that it was OK, and in fact the only thing that didn't go according to the manual was your confidence. I can actually fully understand why your exchanges with the manufacturer did not lead to a solution for you. No matter what they replies you would say it won't work.

This is boating, not your average 100% insured activity that most people have been used to undertake, suing someone else when something goes wrong. People who think that way end up going into foul weather thinking that pressing an EPIRB "on" button will instantly pull them out to safety. It does not work that way. Life is dangerous and actually ends up in death in 100% of cases.

I believe it is the right thing that you (and your partner) have had an involved process in order for you to understand your safety device. If you don't then you had better buy a lifejacket with the device already fitted. The end result would probably be equivalent, but your confidence would be enhanced since it would be a black box with a "pull here in emergency" tether on it. Personnally, I would unpack the thing, to fully understand how the device would save my life and to understand its limitations, but that's me, and you wouldn't have to.

But please stop saying that the device is useless, complicated and does not work. You chose to buy it separately off the Internet, it works as advertised, deal with it.

Oh and also, one more thing: that camera your friend has probably came with at least a half dozen parts (battery, memory card, lanyard, maybe a lens cap, etc.) That does not mean it does not work or it is complicated. Same thing for the MOB1. I personally counted 3 parts (MOB1, clip and lanyard tape), plus the antenna rewinder and the programming bracket which are there but bot used in the installation. This all makes me wonder how you first claimed there were a dozen pieces ! (To later lower your claim to 8)

Wishing you fair winds and safe seas

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:50   #34

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Belle Isle,

Thank you for your comments. As you noted the nature of the problem evolved during the discussion. Many people help me understand the programming and get it done correctly. That is what this group is for, I thought.

Clearly my continued dis-satisfaction is my opinion rather than absolute statement of fact. Safety devices live to a different standard than other equipment. To be completely satisfactory it must appear to work, be easy to operate, and easy to understand.

While many people expressed satisfaction with the device no one express the results for the actual test. So I must assume that under ideal circumstances it works is the manufacture intended, but this is only an assumption.

As you stated there are no absolutes and boating, I agree with that.

In theory we both agree this device represents a step forward and crew safety. I believe, and this is only my opinion, that with a little more engineering could be a much bigger step forward.

Thank you again for your comments.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:49   #35

Boat: Trisbal 36

Hi Captstu,

As noted in my previous reply, I performed the tests and they behaved exactly as described in the manual. Tips was also the reason I replied. You were looking for feedback and since I had gone through it, I thought this would help both you and others in a similar situation.

I hope your perception of the device will continue to evolve until you are both satisfied and reassured.

Safe seas

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 08:24   #36

Boat: Van de Stadt, Samoa, 47

The MOBI 1 works for me, follow the instructions or get someone to help you. Once programmed they are automatic. Yes they are easy to test and should be on a regular interval. They are designed for a auto or manual lifejacket, but not to be operated interdependently, they activate when the bladder inflates. There is a manual on off but you would not typically be able to operate that in the cold water with a bladder around your ears.

In my opinion they are a great asset for 2 handers, as if one is off watch asleep, the mobi will set off the DSC VHF radio automatically and set up the chartplotter with the DSC and AIS man over board position IF you have set up the device correctly.
It is no use at all if you regularly use boats with different MMSI numbers as you would be forever having to reprogram the unit.
Andy on Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 12:07   #37

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Only the US Version has auto deployment.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 12:25   #38

Boat: Lagoon 42

I bought 2 of these , programmed them according to the instructions (both programming worked 1st time)

I then proceeded to install them in our spinlock lifejackets (again following the instructions) and that worked as well

When putting them on the lifejackets I had a quick looks to see how/if it would work when the lifelacket inflated and it seems there's not much that can go wrong ?

lifejacket inflates , clip is torn off and MOB1 is activated .. not much to it ?

but if you want to know for sure test it ? , jump in the water , let the lifejacket inflate and see if the MOB1 is activated as it should ?
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 04:44   #39

I just programmed my MOB1 yesterday, very easy to do. The Windows app gives you walk through instructions. I tested the AIS and it worked great, and I tested the D.SC. Function and it did not alarm on my main Icom M-502 radio but did on my handheld, not sure why. If you have one of these on you when you MOB and you know how to turn it on, you are far far more likely to be rescued.
Old 19-06-2017, 05:06   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I tested the AIS and it worked great, and I tested the D.SC. Function and it did not alarm on my main Icom M-502 radio but did on my handheld, not sure why.
there are some compatibility issues with older DSC radio's , from the FAQ on the website :

Which DSC radios are compatible with the MOB1?
Ocean Signal recommends using one of the radios from the list below with the rescueME MOB1. The following class D DSC radios have been tested in cooperation with the manufacturer and confirmed to receive the Individual Distress Relay call.
ICOM:
Current models; M91, M323, M423, M506
Older models; M411, M421, M505, M603
Simrad: RS90
Standard Horizon: GX1600E (Explorer); Newer models are also likely to work but have not been tested.
Old 19-06-2017, 06:21   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
there are some compatibility issues with older DSC radio's , from the FAQ on the website :

Which DSC radios are compatible with the MOB1?
Ocean Signal recommends using one of the radios from the list below with the rescueME MOB1. The following class D DSC radios have been tested in cooperation with the manufacturer and confirmed to receive the Individual Distress Relay call.
ICOM:
Current models; M91, M323, M423, M506
Older models; M411, M421, M505, M603
Simrad: RS90
Standard Horizon: GX1600E (Explorer); Newer models are also likely to work but have not been tested.
How strange. We were in St. Martin and someone on another boat accidentally pressed the DSC on their radio, we got a loud DSC alarm from them. So I know this radio works on DSC, maybe it doesn't work on direct calling, but "All Ships" does work. I can't test on my handheld as the main radio and handheld has the same MMSI. I'm not sure how else to handle a handheld MMSI.
Old 19-06-2017, 06:53   #42

I think it has to do with the way your own radio handles "DSC All Ships" Alerts , it may filter out (on older models ?) DSC All Ships Alerts with its own MMSI number ?

but I am just guessing here
Old 19-06-2017, 07:19   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
I think it has to do with the way your own radio handles "DSC All Ships" Alerts ,

but I am just guessing here
It handled the actual alert from a person on another boat just fine. THere's a DSC feature where you can call only one radio, using the MMSI. I believe this is what is not working, because that's what the MOB1 uses for testing. It would probably work fine in an actual emergency, which uses All Ships, but how do I test that?
Old 19-06-2017, 07:49   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
It is the same manual - but it doesn't exactly resemble the device.

Emergency devices must have an obvious way to deploy them - reading the book after falling overboard just isn't suitable.

I had hoped this thread would have attracted many who owned the device - =but only one Hobie sailor and one with the device still in the box responded. To bad, it is a good idea that may save lives if implemented properly.
I responded, mine is programmed and on the boat. I don't want to put it on the PFD, I am going to have it available on a lanyard for anyone going forward, especially at night. I don't think someone will fall out from the cockpit.
Old 25-07-2019, 22:57   #45
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
I had hoped this thread would have attracted many who owned the device - =but only one Hobie sailor and one with the device still in the box responded. To bad, it is a good idea that may save lives if implemented properly.
I recently purchased the MOB1 and have been equally frustrated.
I believe the idea is that when the life jacket inflates, that expansion pulls on the string attached to the grey slide, the antenna whips out, and then off it goes. However, I've spent hours trying to get my MMSI programmed in. I think the problem may be that I purchased here in New Zealand, but my MMSI is a USA MMSI (10 digits instead of the 9 that NZ uses). I get a "programmed successful" message, but then it goes to red flashing lights, instead of green. Any ideas?

Tags
mob, rescue