Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 10:08   #76

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Medical Marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post

I know someone in Boulder CO who buys a version in capsule form that works for migraine headaches, and he gets no buzz from it whatsoever. It's something like 5 or 10 milligrams of a specific strain.
The are dozens of different cannabinoids in mj or hemp and the vast majority aren't psychoactive. THC is what people think of, but it's just one specific cannabinoid.

That's why it's a bit disheartening to hear about all the opposition to even medical "weed". There are an increasing number of benefits being discovered, especially for high-CBD products. You don't necessarily have to have high THC levels, though it has it's place in some treatments as well.

In my experience, after treating my dog's epilepsy with all kinds of different highly toxic pharmaceuticals, like phenobarbitol which destroys his liver, I found a vet who would work with me in putting him on CBD pills. His seizures have drastically improved to the point I again feel like I can take him cruising. He's still on some pharmies, so it's not a panacea, but I would love to wean him off those at some point.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:18   #77

Boat: Skookum 53'

It is amazing how people can blanket condemn, a given substance which has proven to be more than entertainment for the simple minded. Given the huge number of pharmaceuticals out there who's efficacy is questionable at best, yet has been FDA approved for human consumption, the TV is filled with commercials by the ambulance chasers filing class action suits against the pharmaceutical companies that produce them. Marijuana has proven that it is beneficial for many different maladies and has given some real relief to people who could find nothing else to help them. Of course it can be abused and misused just like any other substance, that doesn't make the plant bad, just the idiots who misuse it. Having said all that, it is still illegal on a federal level and if you have it aboard and the USCG finds it, you can lose your boat and your freedom.
Old 07-06-2015, 13:26   #78

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Having been in the situation with a crewmember being on medical mj ....we did ACTUAL research like contacting authorities about the situation.

Including a personal friend who is a federal prosecutor.

The chances of a medical mj case being prosecuted is almost nil. Even if it was recreational use, it probably wouldn't be considered at the federal level for prosecution.

If it were medical in nature..the media uproar would make it a circus.

For the record, I am retired USCG and can neither afford to lose my home or my retired pay.

While not stupid enough to say nothing bad would come of it, depending on a few other side show realities of who's who, backgrounds, boat, voyage history, etc., etc.?

Cruising with medical mj and the proper paperwork may not be the horror story some are making it out to be.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 13:35   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
You're all assuming the guy uses green leafy stuff that he smokes.

You may be way behind the current state of medical THC. It is sold as a white powder in gelatin capsules, of a specificed composition and dosage. I'm not saying this guy carries his THC in capsules, just don't assume all marijuana is in the form of plant material any more. It's fat and alcohol soluable, and being used in all kinds of cooking these days. No lung damage required any more.

I know someone in Boulder CO who buys a version in capsule form that works for migraine headaches, and he gets no buzz from it whatsoever. It's something like 5 or 10 milligrams of a specific strain.

And for the record, I don't smoke anything, nor do I drink solvents. and the country I live in does not allow cannibis in any form.
I suppose she might be able to convince the authorities of her medical need for the drug if she presented it in suppository form.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 22:50   #80

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

So, would smoking weed be a good way to prevent nausea while working on an Atomic 4 in the bilge?
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 23:28   #81

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

This is not a thread on whether or not medical marijuana should or should not be legal. Neither is this a thread on whether or not medical marijuana is an appropriate treatment for a particular condition or conditions.

Specifically, taking marijuana from a jurisdiction where it is legal into jurisdictions where it is illegal is going to make it illegal, with all the potential problems inherent therein.

For the duration of the trip I'd suggest "your crew" visits their doctor to get a less contraversial BP medication. Personally; I have no objection to the use of medical marijuana, but then again, it ain't gonna be me you will be dealing with...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:28   #82

Boat: Skookum 53'

Marijuana is a very effective nausea prevention medicine.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:36   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I suppose she might be able to convince the authorities of her medical need for the drug if she presented it in suppository form.
I hope when its crumbled into a roll up it is unused............
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:04   #84
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Canibul-
"nor do I drink solvents."

What, you've stopped drinking water as well ?!

Surely, you were in an altered state when you said that.(VBG)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 18:04   #85

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I'm ashamed that so many still view marijuana smokers as 'potheads' and lazy, etc. Time for some of the people here to realize they have been lied to about all the harmful effects. I'm not saying it's harmless, but I am emphatically stating that marijuana is THE LEAST HARMFUL of all the recreational drugs AND it has many medical benefits.
My favorite part of this whole thread is when Kenomac basically blamed the Hubble mirror mistake on weed. Many many smart people made the mistake that allowed the flawed mirror to launch. Do we blame all NASA mistakes on beer/wine/vodka since it is likely that all mistakes were made by people who consume alcohol. Then to claim that he died of lung cancer. No facts needed, just perception. Smoking cigarettes is known to cause lung cancer. Smoking weed is not known for that, unless that individual also smokes cigarettes. Marijuana is the least toxic stuff you can shove in your body, or damn near close to it. In the words of Willie Nelson, the only way weed will kill you is if a bale of it falls on you.

Others not knowing the difference between mind altering and 'hallucinogenic'. Such smart people still clueless about drugs.

Now about the OP's question, I would think it is a risk, but maybe a small one. But definitely a risk.

I'm so disappointed that my cruising plans will still be altered by my desire to smoke some weed instead of drinking alcohol.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 19:17   #86

Boat: Tartan 37

If you also have a gun on board with drugs, you won't believe the problems you have found.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 19:40   #87
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

This one's gonna crash the server...

And I know who I won't be sailing with......

disclaimer.......smoked since I was 15....you all need to get over it...Legalization is here. Nixon was an idiot that caused the problem.

you want drug problems? I lost a sister after 30 yr's of heroin abuse and a sister in law. AND my father is a retired LEO.

Nurse? Cop ? ..Who cares? We got a heroin problem bigger than the 70's brewing. Fix that!

3500 yr's of a PLANT and in 40 we cause it to be illegal?

Question Stupidity
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 19:42   #88
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Spoken as a true informed and professional would comment....kudo's you proved your point............

ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 19:56   #89

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

If it was my boat, I would decline the opportunity. At some point in the future as a society we will find better things for Beaufort T. Justice to do. Till then I commend you to Alice's restaurant and Arlo Guthrie's "massacree".
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 05:07   #90

The thing that really amazes me is that in those states where medical use of marijuana is still illegal, a doctor can prescribe LSD, morphine, heroin, and cocaine if he wants to. Hoops to jump through, and paperwork to fill out, of course, but those are all drugs that are recognized, by the FDA, as having legitimate medical uses. So they can be prescribed.

But marijuana CANNOT!?! That's just crazy.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, medical