Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 07:47   #121

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Life Jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
AIS Mob 1 has AIS, GPS, VHF DSC. Very small and lightweight.
Thanks Martin. I figured I was behind on the latest tech!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:52   #122

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I was so impressed with these I actually bought 5. 2 for my boat and 3 for work
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:05   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
I was so impressed with these I actually bought 5. 2 for my boat and 3 for work
Like Ken, I have an ACR ResQLink for my PFD which is GPS only. Is the MOB1 we're talking about the one made by McCurdy?
Old 08-04-2019, 08:43   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Like Ken, I have an ACR ResQLink for my PFD which is GPS only. Is the MOB1 we're talking about the one made by McCurdy?

What do you mean "GPS only"? The ResQLink is a PLB, so a mini EPIRB. It does not communicate at all with the mother ship, or with boats around you. It only talks to SAR services via satellite.

The MOB1 is a completely different type of device, with a different purpose. It does not talk to SAR services; it talks only with the mother ship and other boats around. It sends a DSC distress alert to VHF sets, and then shows the position of the casualty on AIS.

It is not made by McMurdo; it's made by Ocean Signal:

MOB1 - Ocean Signal
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:58   #125

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Might be time for additional clarification. These days, pretty much everything has GPS. GPS is receive-only; it does not mean anyone else gets a signal, it just means that the device has a pretty good idea of where it is. How it communicates that out will be via AIS, DSC, or some other protocol.

Your ACR PLB includes a GPS chip, but uses its 406 MHz transmitter to include that location data in the signal it sends to the satellites in the COSPAS-SARSAT system. That's not the only method COSPAS uses to locate the PLB, but it's the most accurate (the original method is only accurate to a few miles).
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 16:18   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
What do you mean "GPS only"? The ResQLink is a PLB, so a mini EPIRB. It does not communicate at all with the mother ship, or with boats around you. It only talks to SAR services via satellite.

The MOB1 is a completely different type of device, with a different purpose. It does not talk to SAR services; it talks only with the mother ship and other boats around. It sends a DSC distress alert to VHF sets, and then shows the position of the casualty on AIS.

It is not made by McMurdo; it's made by Ocean Signal:

MOB1 - Ocean Signal
What you describe is the distinction that I'm familiar with, and thanks for the clarification. It's been awhile since I last looked into this. My question was whether anyone is making a single device that combines the two functions, namely a PLB which communicates with SAR and the AIS/DSC beacon which communicates with the mother shop (and surrounding ships within range I believe). This would seem ideal but perhaps unrealistic.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:49   #127

Boat: St. Francis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I just took the plunge and purchased two Spinlock Deckvest Vito Jackets with Ocean Signal MOB1 integrated along with a Spinlock Chest Pack. I figure with the ACR PLB ResQLink+ Located in the Chest Pack... I’ve done the best I can. In addition, I’ll likely be wearing an Ocean Rodeo Ignite drysuit when things get rough. Yikes, that’s a lot of stuff!

An online retail store made the purchase available on ebay for $610 each or $1220 for the pair. Here’s the link if anyone else is interested:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333148351316
I'm looking at the same combo. Has anyone compared the Ocean Signal MOB1 with the ACR 2886 MOB Beacon?
Brian Pokosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 22:47   #128

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
What you describe is the distinction that I'm familiar with, and thanks for the clarification. It's been awhile since I last looked into this. My question was whether anyone is making a single device that combines the two functions, namely a PLB which communicates with SAR and the AIS/DSC beacon which communicates with the mother shop (and surrounding ships within range I believe). This would seem ideal but perhaps unrealistic.

I see what you mean.

I've never heard of such a device, but I agree with you that it would be very convenient -- and probably economical -- to have all these functions combined in a single unit.

Another thing I would love to have in my life jacket, but which does not seem to exist, is a very compact emergency VHF radio with a single use lithium battery.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 11-07-2019, 09:00   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I see what you mean.

I've never heard of such a device, but I agree with you that it would be very convenient -- and probably economical -- to have all these functions combined in a single unit.

Another thing I would love to have in my life jacket, but which does not seem to exist, is a very compact emergency VHF radio with a single use lithium battery.
There are some compact VHF radios out there -- ones from Icom & Standard Horizon come to mind -- that have the option of using a rechargeable lithium battery or alkalines. They are also designed to float and have IPX7 or IPX8 ratings. The last time I seriously looked into them, however, none were really compact enough for clipping onto (or inside) a pfd (imo), but maybe that's changed.

Fwiw, this one has a built-in GPS receiver, DSC calling, and a water-activated strobe light. It also mentions a larger screen, so I suspect it may be even larger overall than the ones marketed as "compact." And of course it can't transmit a GPS position automatically like a ResQLink, or transmit a position over AIS automatically like the MOB1. But it would allow you to transmit a DSC distress signal and potentially communicate by voice if there were vessels in proximity.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard...GPS-P4248.aspx

In hindsight, I may have been better off with a MOB1 for the sort of mainly coastal sailing I've been doing thus far, but I'm often single or short-handed so maybe not. It's all a bit of a crap shoot once you're in the water as we all know. Then again, if there's affordable technology that can improve your odds of rescue, then it's worth careful consideration.
Old 11-07-2019, 13:10   #130

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
There are some compact VHF radios out there -- ones from Icom & Standard Horizon come to mind -- that have the option of using a rechargeable lithium battery or alkalines. They are also designed to float and have IPX7 or IPX8 ratings. The last time I seriously looked into them, however, none were really compact enough for clipping onto (or inside) a pfd (imo), but maybe that's changed.

Fwiw, this one has a built-in GPS receiver, DSC calling, and a water-activated strobe light. It also mentions a larger screen, so I suspect it may be even larger overall than the ones marketed as "compact." And of course it can't transmit a GPS position automatically like a ResQLink, or transmit a position over AIS automatically like the MOB1. But it would allow you to transmit a DSC distress signal and potentially communicate by voice if there were vessels in proximity.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard...GPS-P4248.aspx

In hindsight, I may have been better off with a MOB1 for the sort of mainly coastal sailing I've been doing thus far, but I'm often single or short-handed so maybe not. It's all a bit of a crap shoot once you're in the water as we all know. Then again, if there's affordable technology that can improve your odds of rescue, then it's worth careful consideration.

Well, that SH handheld is the one I have. It is too bulky by far to hide in lifejacket pocket.

And it has a rechargeable lithium battery. I would want an emergency radio with a single use battery so you always know it's got power. They make such radios for lifeboats (like this: Marine radio / lifeboat / portable / VHF - IC-GM1600 - Icom), but I've never seen a compact one for personal use. I would think that it would be feasible to make such a thing.
Walt Whitman
Old 11-07-2019, 15:08   #131

Has anybody considered carrying a small inflatable location marker buoy that can fit in a small webbed pocket?

Not as a replacement for the high tech gadgetry already discussed, but as a cheap addition for the routine run of the mill short handed daylight MOB.

Obviously eyes ON is everything! I was thinking of something like this...

https://www.leisurepro.com/p-omssmb3...SABEgKXZfD_BwE
Old 12-07-2019, 15:29   #132

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

When I dove a lot we used to call them saftey sausages.

http://californiadiver.com/have-you-...es-lately0102/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 16:05   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
When I dove a lot we used to call them saftey sausages.

Have You Hugged Your Safety Sausage Lately? | California Diver Magazine
I like the idea of safety sausages and plan on buying a few. If they work for divers who purposely go MOB...good enough for me.

Thing is.....people always say how easy it is to lose sight of a MOB, esp in rough seas...but nobody seems to mention the sausage! I say embrace the sausage!.... BE the sausage.
Old 12-07-2019, 17:11   #134
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Life Jackets

AIS / PLB. I would want one too, but would like the AIS to be automatic but the PLB to be manual.
I’d assume that you can’t make an automatic PLB, if you tried they may make you meet the requirements of an EPIRB, as those are automatic.

We have I believe discussed this before why isn’t there one?
Just like the VHF / AIS transponder, that doesn’t exist either, and you would think it would, those go together like ham and cheese I would think.
Must be some kind of regulatory reason, just as a guess
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote