Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2009, 11:48   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
Good advice there. An inexpensive (or used) 2/1 'shortie' wetsuit underneath whatever else you care to wear (layers above) should keep you warm in any conditions there...
???

Base layer 'breathable' type under, polar fleece mid-layer if cold, G-tex on top.

Sort of like for winter climbing, just the top layer more water-proof (cuffs. etc).

Dry and warm.

PS I bet Gore-tex long deck boots are a swell thing too, but do not have them so may be wrong.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 14:26   #17

Boat: FP Belize 43
Hey, we just purchased some nice gear from Sierra Trading Post. The gear is light weight, water proof and has adjustable neoprene gaskets at the wrist, waist and ankle. We have use the gear a few times now and it is excellent for the price. I think the gear just went on sale!

Go to sierratradingpost.com look under canoes kayaks and accessories and look at the "Extra Sport gear."

Cheers,
Meck
Old 23-11-2009, 15:17   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
i use to be a climber, did volcanos in mexico and rainer, and a member of a couple of mountain search and rescue teams - i had an rei shell for years and used it for the first few sailing outings - when we started getting serious about a boat we went to defender (look it up on line) and got some top of the line pro rainer - i love mine but the admiral says hers is to heavy - we are now reshopping for a jacket for her and on the top of the list is west marines 3rd reef - i think for the price you can not beat it - we are not into the "hey look at me in my helly hanson or gill or super name brand" we want something that works and is reasonably priced - one of the sailing mags did a comparison on all of the weather gear">foul weather gear and the 3rd reef was rated as acceptable - not the greatest but works -
just my thoughts
and yes i still have a 25 yo rei gortex shell that does not shed water very well anymore so i much prefer my prorainer and as for the bibs the pro rainer are the greatest -
chuck patty and svsoulmates
full time cruisers
in a slip in brunswick ga for repairs
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 07:47   #19

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
???

Base layer 'breathable' type under, polar fleece mid-layer if cold, G-tex on top.

Sort of like for winter climbing, just the top layer more water-proof (cuffs. etc).

Dry and warm.

PS I bet Gore-tex long deck boots are a swell thing too, but do not have them so may be wrong.

b.
And what happens in the real 'foul weather' when a series of waves of breaks over you, or it is pouring down rain, or if heaven forbid you go over the side? You get wet is the answer, and seriously so. The gear that you're referring to is regular sailing gear to keep some cold spray and/or light showers off of you, not actual 'foul weather' gear. For that you need a bonafide drysuit (or the poor man's version, a wetsuit over anti-chaff wear).

Looking good at the dock or yacht club in a light rain is not the same as being actually prepared for real 'foul weather', and all that it entails out on the water.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 10:56   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
bathing suit and oilskins lol......check weather daily and more often and donot go into cold waters lol.....if a series of waves breaks over you, you are in a helluvalotta trouble--more than worrying about yer wettass......gooood luck......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 12:15   #21

To Not Sure:

The thread goes 'good FW Gear For Warm Weather'. Not: 'for diving', nor: 'for the NW passage'.

BTW I have never had any problem staying dry and warm in my mountain type layers and G-tex parka. I bet the G-tex from Musto and the likes are even better with better cuffs, zippers and hoods.

Meanwhile, your comment along "...Looking good at the dock or yacht club in a light rain is not the same as being actually prepared for real 'foul weather', and all that it entails out on the water..." is actually completely off since I have sailed around the world, and I speak from this perspecive.

b.
Old 24-11-2009, 17:42   #22

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
To Not Sure:

The thread goes 'good FW Gear For Warm Weather'. Not: 'for diving', nor: 'for the NW passage'.

BTW I have never had any problem staying dry and warm in my mountain type layers and G-tex parka. I bet the G-tex from Musto and the likes are even better with better cuffs, zippers and hoods.

Meanwhile, your comment along "...Looking good at the dock or yacht club in a light rain is not the same as being actually prepared for real 'foul weather', and all that it entails out on the water..." is actually completely off since I have sailed around the world, and I speak from this perspecive.

b.
I see. So they make drysuits for sailing because there's no real need for them.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 17:55   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I've done a fair bit of cold weather work. It's not the air temperature - it's the water temperature. There is Gore Tex and then there is better Gore Tex. The difference is very significant.

I have a set I got on sale for $69 for the top and the same for the pants. Not bad in a mist even on a cool day and OK in summer weather too. I also have a set of Gill Key West bibs and jacket. The Key West is not the top end and in cooler weather I would not want anything less. Chesapeake Bay in late October blowing a gale. Saved my marriage (he Admiral had a set too).

If you be down below 20 degrees latitude then you got no cold weather. You don't really need rain gear. It's not cold enough. A large plastic garbage bag with head and arm holes will do. Don't forget it's the water temperature not the air temperature that can kill you! Hypothermia is a real killer! Warm air over cold water is cold enough to kill.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 18:21   #24

Boat: Will be a Steel hulled Cape Horner
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
Hi Everyone...

Getting ready for my week long ASA course and realized I really don't have any foul weather gear. So before I go to spend some money I was wondering if you kind folks would offer up your favorite brand and type. I figure I can always wear enough under them to keep warm, so was thinking of relatively light weight... I did search a bit on the site.. looks like "Gill" is well thought of... any others I should consider ? Want something of good quality, hoping they will last me a long time..

Cheers

No matter what your hear or see advertised there is nothing which will keep you forever dry in foul weather. Even the most expensive Gear from Cahunas Outfitters will eventually soak trough, I know I been there for the past 30+ years.

What allways works for me is the old tried and true Stanfield Wool underwear. Of couse not really stylish but even when wet for 7 days in the Saddle in the Rain soaked Mountains of British Columbia or on a Sail up the coast in December, Stanfields allways keep me warm. In Canada this Underwear can be purchased at the Hudson Bay Stores. I am sure you can find wool Underwear in the USA at any good Sporting Good Stores.
Old 24-11-2009, 20:05   #25

Boat: o'day 302
have u noticed on deadliest catch they seem to just be wearing the yellow raingear you can get a canadian tire?...we wear that camping and its pretty bulletproof...super cheap, durable, waterproof though not the prettiest..
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 21:17   #26

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybimm View Post
have u noticed on deadliest catch they seem to just be wearing the yellow raingear you can get a canadian tire?.....
Actually, most Alaska commercial fishermen seem to go for "Grundens" foul weather gear (very heavy duty PVC coated cotton) over a lot of synthetic fleace and pile. On their feet they almost all wear "Xtratuff" brand boots. The Bering Sea in winter has been known to get a bit of "real foul weather" now and then. Commercial fishermen generally put a high premium on extremely stout gear that will take incredible abuse.

Since I don't sail in the Bering Sea, I usually manage with polypro undies, and lots pile. On top I wear a set old but still servicable coated nylon yachting foulies, or else one of my older but still servicable gore tex mountain parkas. On my feet I wear Xtratuff boots. The newer "Smart Wool" stuff works well too. People were going out in foul weather long before neoprene, gore tex, and dry suits were invented.

The newer sailing specific gore tex stuff (Gil, Musto, etc) looks really nice, but takes lots of $$$$$. At the moment I have other higher boating priorities to spend money on. In any case, at this exact moment, the boat is winterized and I thinking more about ski season!
Old 25-11-2009, 07:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post

If you be down below 20 degrees latitude then you got no cold weather. You don't really need rain gear.
I mostly agree - it is warm there. But we sailed the Pacific in 2004 and we had torrential rains most of the stretch from Bora Bora to Tonga. Also our last weeks in Panama (April) were horribly rainy.

Still, PBlais is correct - you do not need rain gear there because even if you have it it is too hot to use it - you will end up soaking wet from your sweat if not from the rain.

b.
Old 25-11-2009, 07:57   #28

Boat: Hunter 41 - "Son of a Sailor"
We use FROGG TOGGS!

They are lightweight, breathable, and inexpensive. Not cheap. About $60 a set. We use them as rainsuits when motorcycling, and for outdoor events. They are perfect to block the wind, keep the rain off. They all have hoods, and there is one set that is shocking yellow. We live in Florida and spend half a year each year in the Bahamas.

frogg toggs® Outerwear
Old 11-12-2009, 07:16   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Anyone use Dutch Harbor raingear? This one is for colder weather but they also have mesh liner suits
Dutch Harbor Gear, Winlock Mountain Parka, Fleece Lined, Waterproof
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear