Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2017, 16:26   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Epoxy = Molten Lava in the Eye

Ken, so glad your eye is okay.

Thinwater, thank you so much for this. That is a very mild vinegar/water solution, and if it works, as you suggest, a perfect treatment.

Quote:
For epoxy, the MSDS is clear: Flush with water for 15 minutes, then contact a doctor. In the case of mixed epoxy, a solution of 1 tsp white vinegar to 1cup water is an old school conjunctivitis remedy and would stop the epoxy cure and speed wash-out. The vinegar is only needed on the first few rinses. Then just water for 15 minutes.

Ann
Old 24-05-2017, 16:57   #32
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ To add to what JPA and Thinwater have posted and as I have experience with epoxy and eyes (my daughter got raw epoxy hardener in eyes and needed A&E attention) here is what I understand.

Raw part A (epoxy) - fresh water rinse 15 minutes and then doctor. Part A is not really very aggressive and doesn't cause much chemical damage.

Raw part B (hardener) - freshwater rinse 15 minutes and then doctor. Part B is aggressive and causes chemical burning and possible scarring to the eye.

Mixed (uncured) epoxy - weak vingear rinse first and then freshwater rinse 15 minutes and then doctor. The vinegar stops the curing process but the hardener can still burn the eye.

In my daughter's case, she splashed part B into one eye (due to my carelessness ), we rinsed her eye for 10 minutes with tap water and went to A&E. Minor burning had occurred but no scarring. All healed well but my epoxy mixing procedure changed...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 17:04   #33

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Epoxy = Molten Lava in the Eye

Gosh Ken, I'm glad your eye is okay. Could be dangerous from now on if your wife thought you were winking at every woman you looked at. Next time wear safety glasses, a full face shield AND keep both eyes shut.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 17:35   #34

Glad you're okay, Ken. I'm guessing advice re eye protection would be pretty superfluous now!

But when working with epoxy, especially in confined spaces, also wear a good respirator. And gloves. And barrier cream.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 18:06   #35

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I have often wondered about the white vinegar effects on epoxy. Ive been using it with success for years, but mixing two chemicals could have unintended consequences. The way it changes the epoxy is dramatic, and prehaps the thinned epoxy is then easier for the body to absorb? Maybe not... anyway I have stopped using it to wash epoxy off my skin, and now treat epoxy like a very dangerous chemical (which it is). As far as possible I avoid getting it on my skin and I aways use barrier cream as a second line of defense, normally under a double set of gloves.

Interestingly (or sadly in my case) the allergy is also caused by breathing the fumes from the epoxy. Even when mostly cured (say a day or so old) the smell still causes symptoms to my eyes and breathing, and itching.

Now full face respirator, tyvek suit and double gloves even for sanding the stuff, and I also use a vacuum attached to the sander to minimise dust. If I get dust on my clothes they need to go in the bin, as even after washing them multiple times I can't wear them again without itching and a rash starting.

So be careful with it. As I understand it the base is pretty much pure BPA. And read up on the effects of long term exposure of this on mice and humans. Particularly prostate issues and repoductive organs defects during fetus development. A cpmmpn example is the rise of birth defects like hyperspadias. With approx 1 per 200 boys these days having hyperspadias making it one of the most common birth defects.

Be extra careful with epoxies, especially around women of child bearing age as most of the fetal damage is done within the first 15 days or so of pregnancy.
Old 24-05-2017, 18:09   #36

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Interlux barrier coat is also painful in the eye.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 18:12   #37

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

My wife found out the hard way that you should never ever forget to go to the eye doctor right away. Even though it may seem fine now, chemicals can continue to deteriorate the cornea over time.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 19:07   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Paint thinner is about the last thing I'd use on epoxy as it doesn't cut it all that well. Alcohol would be way better and if you use vodka or tequila you might be able to suck in the overage as it runs down your face. Two birds with one stone. Clean the epoxy out of your eye and anethetize yourself at the same time.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 06:09   #39
cruiser

Undeterred despite a minor setback, I wrote yesterday about the epoxy going nuclear. Well during the excitement of the small container going off, apparently a good size drop of mixed epoxy once again had my left eye in it's crosshairs. 'Just discovered this today when I went to put on my safety goggles to give the area a coating of bilge paint.

See pic of goggle, look for distortion caused by dried on drip of epoxy. Hot Lava avoided this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1201.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	148373  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 06:12   #40

Boat: Currently in between

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I too am glad you came out of this with no apparent ill effects. Thank goodness you reacted quick enough to stop the process before damage occurred.

This particular thread has been quite informative and while I hate why it is here I am sure glad that it is. I've now learned to be more careful and I bemoan all those years I used to put the "final finish" on JB Weld with my fingertip!
Old 25-05-2017, 06:18   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Paint thinner is about the last thing I'd use on epoxy as it doesn't cut it all that well. Alcohol would be way better and if you use vodka or tequila you might be able to suck in the overage as it runs down your face. Two birds with one stone. Clean the epoxy out of your eye and anethetize yourself at the same time.
Like I wrote earlier, It was somewhat difficult to read the Italian label during all the excitement with epoxy in my eye. I'm sure some of the label was in English, but at the time it all looked Chinese to me.

Paint thinner was all I had, and I didn't actually do a full rinse using Paint thinner, I wiped my eye out with a paper towel soaked in it in order to get off as much as possible, then jumped into the shower and washed it out with Dove soap and plenty of water.

When I think back, I actually just closed my eye after it happened and finished the remaining 3-4 minutes of work before washing out my eye.....I didn't want to leave a mess.

Priorities?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 08:12   #42

you need to go to the eye doctor and get checked out.

there is no cure for what happened to you you may go blind or worse

HURRY!!!!
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 08:14   #43

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Doing some epoxy fiberglass work the other day, working in a back locker lying down and working above my head. You get the picture.

I always wear safety goggles, well.... almost always. Well I thought I had them on but no, I forgot. One big drop of mixed epoxy landed square in my right eye; I'm not sure what hurt more the epoxy or washing it out the best I could with paint thinner (mineral spirits). Burned for 10 hours, then ended up with epoxy junk coming out of my eye for the next 36 hours or so, then finally back to normal. No harm done.

Wear safety googles.
I feel your pain. Well no, actually I don't, and I am glad for that! I gotta say, it takes a pretty tough guy to intentionally wash his eyes out with mineral spirits. That would be on par with giving yourself an appendectomy or sawing off a trapped foot with a swiss army knife.

Anyway I hope someone out there looks at safety goggles with a newfound respect after reading your post. I wear mine even when checking batteries.
Old 25-05-2017, 08:28   #44

Boat: Catalina 30

This post could not have come at a better time: I am about to do one of those upside down repair jobs under my cockpit with epoxy, fiberglass, and other nasty stuff. Goggles will be # 1 tool. Vinegar will be handy, along with a jug of water (who wants to fiddle with pumping water in an emergency?)

Personally, I would never put any solvent in my eye.... if it zaps my skin, I have no idea what it would do to my eyeballs. I have an even more complex situation, since I wear contacts. Epoxy and contacts? Oye!

Again, thanks for the very timely warning!!!
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 08:35   #45

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Holly crap! You didn't go to the emergency room?
That sends chills down my spine. I'm glad you're ok.

By the way, the correct term for removing epoxy is "Depoxy", as in "I had to depoxy my eyeball". I made that up, but everybody should use it.
I'm going to steal that, if you don't mind.

The few times I've epoxied upside down (hmm, actually three times, now that I think on it), I've worn safety glasses AND a full face shield. And a rag over my hair. Well, the last two times.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy