Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 14:27   #16

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: EPIRB Battery Replacement

FWIW, there's quite a bit more going on with the fees paid to service EPIRBS, etc. than just replacing the batteries. If they are Cat I & II, for example, they are designed to float at the service with their antennas pointed upward, and so need to be pressure-tested for watertight integrity. Since they are designed to automatically activate with water, the switching mechanism not only has to be tested, but so does the magnet inside the bracket on Cat I's which will defeat that auto-activation feature if the device merely gets wet but is not sufficiently submerged. It would be nice if these & other safety devices only required DIY battery changes every few years, but not sure this is realistic, at least when it comes to the more sophisticated ones.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 07:27   #17

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

RGESNER said:

"Strange, Defender doesn't list that model online.
And I just ordered the iPro with Manufacturer Replaceable battery a few days ago. "

Here is the response when I tried to get a price on the V4 that is in the new catalogue:

Good afternoon Laurie,

Thank you for your inquiry. This item is a new item and has not received FCC approval at this time.
Once they have gotten approval we can then sell this but until then I don't have any information to provide at this time.

Sincerely,

Cheryl L. Gerfin
Senior Sales Rep

I'll wait a couple of months, and ask around again.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:32   #18

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
In the 2015 Defender catalogue, page 166, is advertised the NEW Globalfix V4 EPIRB, Categories 1 & 2. The catalogue says the device has user replaceable batteries with 7 year life, and even provides a part number for the batteries. I am betting that these batteries are also non-hazmat, as are all the batteries in the 2015 catalogues.
I just re-inquired about this product, and they told me it was no longer offered (or no longer to be offered) by ACR. So much for that glimmer of hope and rationality.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:26   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Stout Wench had sent me a "nat Satfind" EPIRB that was originally sold & praised for user replaceable batteries. That may be the same unit ACR was co-selling, this vendor was bought out of business by folks who now claim to have no information.

But...the battery compartment was heavily and totally potted with a white potting compound, making user replacement of anything totally impossible.

So caveat emptor, if you find something that says "user replaceable" you'd better take it apart right away to find out if it really is.

On a traditional ACR, you unscrew four stainless screws, pop it open, unplug the batteries, pop in a new set, check the gasket and screw it closed again. BFD, really. The rest is all details. The actual replacement--just replacement--is about the same as any flashlight.

That's not to ignore testing and reliability and all the rest, those are just different issues.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Stout Wench had sent me a "nat Satfind" EPIRB that was originally sold & praised for user replaceable batteries. That may be the same unit ACR was co-selling, this vendor was bought out of business by folks who now claim to have no information.

But...the battery compartment was heavily and totally potted with a white potting compound, making user replacement of anything totally impossible.

So caveat emptor, if you find something that says "user replaceable" you'd better take it apart right away to find out if it really is.

On a traditional ACR, you unscrew four stainless screws, pop it open, unplug the batteries, pop in a new set, check the gasket and screw it closed again. BFD, really. The rest is all details. The actual replacement--just replacement--is about the same as any flashlight.

That's not to ignore testing and reliability and all the rest, those are just different issues.

That is the kind I have. I had replaced the battery twice, with no problem. The company, twice, provided me with the bottom compartment, complete with a new gasket for where it screws into the top compartment. The top compartment includes the electronics, controls, and antenna, while the bottom compartment includes the sealed battery and a very simple, almost impossible to screw up, snap connection for the wires. It was great. It was user replaceable until they stopped making the bottom battery assembly. YOU can also report that it has a diagnostics button that allows it to check the electronics any time you walk by it.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:15   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
EPIRB Battery Replacement

My ACR Epirb is in need of a new battery. Price is about $350 I gather. The Epirb has been on the boat for at least 15 yrs. in that time prices have come down, tech has improved, i.e. Integrated GPS.

I'll be going to the Annapolis show next month and will check out what's available. It may be that upgrading might be more cost effective than getting a new battery.

Thanks to smart phones, if I see something interesting, I can do a web search to check prices. Boat show prices not always being the best.

Rich
Ps; in the past I paid to keep the Epirb current , now I'm considering options

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 13:43   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If yours is that old, you may find that upgrading to a new one will also allow you to actually be found if you ever need to use it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 13:47   #23
Eternal Member

Mark,
You are a mind reader. If for a few more dollars I have something better for SAR, I would be foolish not to investigate. Either way, there WILL be an Epirb on board.

Rich

Old 02-09-2015, 13:53   #24

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I was referring to the fact that one as old as yours may be using the old 121.5MHz system and not the current 406MHz one. They terminated satellite processing of the old system in 2009 - so if you fire it off, there won't be anyone listening.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 14:22   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

DISCLAIMER I WAS SPONSORED BY ACR up until about 8 years ago.

That said, when I toured their factory back then, the cases were sealed in a slight vacuum. This ensures a good seal on all gaskets.

I am more than a little handy. I would not DIY the batteries.

The SPOT device has DIY battery replacement. The cover has a solid anchor screw system that seats a gasket. I have had SPOT devices fail because of water intrusion when kayaking.

The point being- if my life depends on the EPIRB working, I want a pro maintaining it.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 15:19   #26
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I was referring to the fact that one as old as yours may be using the old 121.5MHz system and not the current 406MHz one. They terminated satellite processing of the old system in 2009 - so if you fire it off, there won't be anyone listening.

Mark

I tossed the 121 and the one I have is a 406 albeit without internal GPS

Old 02-09-2015, 15:36   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sono-
Not an altogether bad idea to replace the entire lower unit, but that's like saying you'll never need to put gas in your car, just trade it in for a new one. Oh, wait, we'll keep the seats, so it isn't really a complete replacement?

Batteries are batteries and standards exist for a reason. If they had actually allowed for battery replacements, the units could be maintained. But they got clever, so anyone owning one now would be SOL.

Granted, that's an incentive to move to a new unit with GPS built in and half the size, but it still fails the smell test. That whole industry, including ACR, takes way too much advantage of peddling FUD in order to make new sales.

Give the customer a choice, it is their own life they are making the decisions on. (And yes, I'm ignoring passengers and other collateral damage, and other issues.)

As to the integrity of waterproof gaskets and seals...Can we say "Challenger" ?
Versus the tens of millions of cheap Casio watches that have gone swimming and diving for decades without failing. Engineering comes in all kinds of quality and price, and EPIRBs are nothing special that way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:03   #28
Eternal Member

Just took a peek at Defender's site. They have an ACR GPIRB Cat 2 that looks identical to mine for $420. So for $70 more than the cost of a battery, I'd have new unit with internal GPS.

I'm going to do some more looking but it looks like a no brainer at this point.

Rich

Old 04-09-2015, 09:15   #29
Eternal Member

Well I did it. Bought a new ACR 406 EPIRB with GPS $325 after rebate. Lot better deal than $350 to replace battery in an old EPIRB w/o GPS

Old 11-09-2015, 16:45   #30

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Just trying to generate some interest in a post on a sailor needing to be rescued. This old chap has twice set off his epirb and twice refused to leave his vessel. If anyone would be interested in following along on the thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-152607-5.html
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, epirb, men