Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2008, 11:21   #46

What's on your wrist

I have a Yes watch. It is programed with about 400 cites so you can have two time zones at a push of a button plus a third time zone with 24 hour hand. It also has a visual daylight/night display on the face.

If the area your in is not in the data base you can plug in Lat/Long, it will give you sun rise and sunset times for the zone you have set. The alarm can be set to go off 10 or 15 minutes before sunrise for your zone, very handy for celestial.

It also has all the other functions, timer and countdown

YES Watches
Falcon 767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 11:37   #47

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Is it just me.. Or have any of you been flooded with spam on watches since posting??? I must get 6 or more a day for several days... just wonder if someone has a search filter running pulling e-mail when anyone mentions a watch name.
Old 15-09-2008, 00:02   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
No spam for me.

A guy at the club has this watch and says it has been great for about 4 years.

Watches for Sailing and Diving - Casio Sea Pathfinder Watches

He also relayed the stories about the unreliable Suunto. His partner has this watch and had to have it replaced 4 times before he got a reliable one.

The only thing the Sea Pathfinder doesn't seem to have is the ISAF start sequence.

That's OK though as it does have countdown, startup timer and that's cool. So I think I have a new front runner.

The only drawback he says is that it is a bit bulky and he has banged it around quite a but while racing - the good news it's holding up to the abuse well...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 01:08   #49

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
A watch? Is that one of those funny things with numbers or pointy things that you strap to your arm? I have a ship's quartz clock, the accurate time on the plotter and handheld GPS, my cell phone and the sun. Hate watches and rings. Don't wear either. Having worked in the electrical, electronic and mechanical field for many years, they are a safety concern. Someone bought me a fancy Pierre Cardin watch last year, worked for a week and was real uncomfortable to wear. I was glad when it quit working, gave me an excuse to take it of and leave it somewhere.
Old 16-09-2008, 07:32   #50

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
I have a very nice Swiss watch I wear every day. It's waterproof to greater depths than I am likely to go, but the periodic service is distressingly expensive.

I have a dive computer I can wear as a watch. It is nice, not too big, and wearable for time without looking ostentatious.

While racing, everyone and his brother has timing watches. Somebody has to be watching outside the boat! I don't wear any watch on foredeck, and an inexpensive digital in the BOTB.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 08:42   #51

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Looks like we have TWO type sailors... those that wish to live by the clock and those that simply want to live by their own internal clock/ flow... I'm obviously the internal flow type... no watch on me mon....
Old 16-09-2008, 08:54   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
John,

Although 1-2 secs/per day might get a Swiss Chronometer rating, it cannot be said to be highly accurate by todays quartz standards. A $10 quartz digital will most likely be more accurate than those expensive Swiss mechanical movement watches.
A chronometer rating does not certify the accuracy of time, but rather that the watch will gain or lose at a very consistent rate. Thus if you last did a time check 20 days earlier you will know exactly what the correction is (as long as you confirmed the rate of change). Thus most quartz options are more 'accurate' but need batteries. As with anything electronic on a boat, battery watches are always at some risk. If you're coastal cruising it probably doesn't make any difference, but offshore could. Same argument as sextant vs GPS. More and more offshore sailors don't carry a sextant and accept the risk.

I wear a 40 year old basic Rolex chronometer I got in a BX, and it serves me well. However, when in Mexico or third world countries I wear a $5 electronic watch when around the locals. Found I seldom used all the stop watches and other functions of the fancier watches, exept when timing something in the galley.

In the end, if you're just coastal cruising/racing I'd buy a couple of the cheap electronic watches that have whatever goodies you need, and save the conspicuous money for other boat toys.
Scot
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 15:26   #53

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga View Post
A chronometer rating does not certify the accuracy of time, but rather that the watch will gain or lose at a very consistent rate. Thus if you last did a time check 20 days earlier you will know exactly what the correction is (as long as you confirmed the rate of change). Thus most quartz options are more 'accurate' but need batteries. As with anything electronic on a boat, battery watches are always at some risk.

Scot
Scot,

Accuracy is one of the components in a chronometer rating. As I understand it, the accuracy is -4 to +6 seconds per day. Having had to wind a chronometer every day (six and a half turns) for quite a few years in my seagoing days and logging the errors from time checks and having owned Swiss watches with chronometer ratings I'm quite familiar with the fact that the rate of change is one of the factors. As for quartz watches needing batteries, mine does not.
Old 16-09-2008, 15:44   #54

Rick,

All fine - my point was more on the common misconception that if you set a chronometer to WWV, it will very accurately keep that exact (or nearly exact) time for a good while, like most electronic watches currently do. You obviously understand, but many do not.

Scot
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 02:36   #55

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
I wear a Rolex - the cheapest one, stainless, bought 10 years ago and never let me down. I tried many brands, you name it, over the years, always had problems.

In some ways, it feels good knowing I'll never buy another watch again. When they finally pry it off my cold stiff dead arm it'll be willed to my son, along with my 25 year old benz and my 45 year old boat.

Call me a traditionalist, I'm not rich by any means but just got sick of buying junk.
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 10:48   #56

Boat: Easterly 30 manufactured in Metairie, Louisiana - s/v Lady Longlegs
I've lost two Timex Expedition watches on separate sailing trips. The band broke on one and the pin in the band broke on the other; both fell overboard. Now I have a Casio "Pathfinder" which I really like, and I keep it in my pocket or clipped to a belt loop. I do wish it could do the racing countdown timer, but I have a racing watch for that anyway, "Ultimate Sailing Watch", and it has big easy to read numbers. The TNG Tornado watch is a really nifty looking watch.

"I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."
Moby Dick page 6
Easterly-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 13:21   #57

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Bought 4 Casio 50meter watches in Singapore at Jimmy Aboud's for $12 apiece. Six years later still wearing #1, but had to put a new band on it this year. Has dual time zones, stopwatch, countdown timer, and is accurate to 1 second per week. Nobody follows me down the streets to steal it, but my wife had one taken off her wrist in Aden...gives you an idea of economics in the third world.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 21:38   #58
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
No watch, no rings (fingers or elsewhere) no jewelry........

I had a ring get caught once...many many years ago...it wasn't on a boat it was on of all things a locker....boogered my finger up real good......never wore anything on hands again.

"When I asked you what time it was...I didn't want to know how you built the clock"
(From a Chief who taught me most of what I know...and then some)
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 23:12   #59

Boat: Catalina C250, SeaWolf
I'm happy with my Swiss Army Renegade. Simple, around $85, easy to read in the middle of the night.
ajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 23:45   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Blood Pressure...

I must be getting old, but all I seem to put on my wrist these days is a blood pressure monitor.

Not sure what the figures mean though...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote