Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2018, 04:58   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Water depths in ICW Daytona area USA

We are bringing our sailboat down the ICW and when talking with another boater coming North they reported an area of skinny water around Daytona. However they didn't remember exactly where, and no one else knew either. Someone mentioned that you had to stay to one side or the other.

Anyone on here happen to know the area to watch and what the details please?

Thanks
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 06:03   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Water depths in ICW Daytona area USA

The only skinny water there is down by Ponce Inlet and it's only skinny if you take it too wide. The area is marked by buoys. The water is near the red side.
Old 23-05-2018, 07:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The only skinny water there is down by Ponce Inlet and it's only skinny if you take it too wide. The area is marked by buoys. The water is near the red side.
Yes! I ran hard aground there with a 5' 4" draft in dead center channel. Hang very close to the red marker. If I recall it was at marker R18 on the south entrance to the ICW channel that bypasses the channel passing by the inlet.

I would advice getting updated info when you get there as I understand the shoaling is very active and can change frequently.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 08:02   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

The Matanzas Inlet north of Daytona is a skinny spot. Hug the shore!
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 09:11   #5
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Skip it and go out at St Augustine and back in at Pounce. In normal settled conditions it’s a lot less trouble than doing the same on the ICW.

BUT if you take look at Active Captain you will learn both the north and south Pounce de Leon ICW sections are issues. Learn which side to hug on AC, but basically it’s stay in the channel and don’t cut the corner (like Skip who I warned 10 minutes prior and who still went aground). I’ve done each direction the past 1.5 years and only do it at low tide and rising now.

Btw after the Pounce section and passing the next bridge to New Smyrna it’s a lot deeper and safer to go to the left around the island there than to follow the ICW
Old 23-05-2018, 09:43   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Btw after the Pounce section and passing the next bridge to New Smyrna it’s a lot deeper and safer to go to the left around the island there than to follow the ICW
That's Sheepshead Bay just south of the George Munson Bridge(used to anchor there before they put a channel through). More than 10 feet and shorter than following the main ICW channel which has a few skinny spots.

As for tides we disregard them, go when you get there. Both Matanzas and Ponce sections of the ICW have good water, it's just figuring out where it is.
Old 24-05-2018, 08:03   #7

Thanks all,

We are past Matanzas and had no issues. The person reported going aground around Daytona, but it's very possible that they were drifting out to wide too. I might not report that part either. ;-)

Sounds like the area to watch is the Ponce inlet area and to stay toward the red side. Specifically around 18.
Old 24-05-2018, 08:20   #8

Boat: Bristol 41.1

We have been through that area several times in the last couple months. You cross the Ponce Inlet twice heading south.

At the north end, stay mid channel for 7' (min.). Depth jumps all around. 7 feet to 13 feet, back to 7. Scary but enough water to make it.

At the south crossing, within sight of New Smyrna, follow the cans. The channel has wandered and there are some thin spots. Same for just south of the Musson Bridge, near marker 29. Use caution.

From there south, no issues other than the normal cautions about paying attention.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 08:26   #9

Boat: Bristol 41.1

There is only one opening bridge left in Daytona. I believe it is the Main Street Bridge.

Be cautious on approach. There is a sunken sailboat immediately north of the bridge. The top portion of the mast extends above the water.

There is also new bridge construction underway in Daytona so barge traffic needs to be anticipated.

Enjoy your trip.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 08:36   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just got off a boat that departed Ponce Inlet, going into the Atlantic for our voyage north to Maine. We left Ponce about May 2nd as I recall.

The boat has a 7.5 foot draft. We watched the depth as we navigated the channel from the anchorage.

We went out with good timing, on a flood tide (near max). No problem following the channel and no difficulty leaving the inlet to get into the Atlantic.

Be aware that the river does have significant current on ebb and flood. While we were in the anchorage, I watched the water flow in and out and it does resemble a river flow.

We watched the inlet for two days prior, from the jetty, and observed as boats entered and left the inlet. We waited for favorable time with wind and tide. Most boats stayed close to the jetty (north side of inlet) to avoid the shallower water on the south side of the inlet.

Overall, I thought it was an easy exit, no problems.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 08:22   #11

Thanks all for the information. We saw the 7 foot depths at the junction of the North channel as well. But it was only for a very short time. All the rest had plenty of depth.

Tags
depth, icw, water