Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 02:10   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Tracks Wanted for Chesterfield Reef

Im stopping at Chesterfield reef on the way back from New Cal later this year and I am looking for some tracks on the east entry side just as some back up I have the French chart of the reef but it has no detail to the east. Thanks
privileged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:40   #2

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Re: tracks wanted for Chesterfield Reef

I do not have tracks but I found this:

Nine-of-Cups Chesterfield Reef

Maybe you can contact them directly if you do not find anything else.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:35   #3

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Get the best detailed chart you can find and work out your own. You will need to be visual anyway on your approach.

I certainly would not be relving on someone else's track. Moving around coral areas is about having visability and motoring steadily around the coralheads with a good watch.

Will be a great stopover.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 19:05   #4

Boat: Privilege 37

thanks for the advice, I have all the charts including the one of chesterfeild , but they all have an unsurveyed area to the east entry. I just wanted to get an idea on other cruisers entry from the east.
privileged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 19:10   #5

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by privileged View Post
thanks for the advice, I have all the charts including the one of chesterfeild , but they all have an unsurveyed area to the east entry. I just wanted to get an idea on other cruisers entry from the east.

+1
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 06:28   #6

Boat: HallbergRassy 36
Re: Tracks Wanted for Chesterfield Reef

Hi Privileged
Sorry not to have seen any replies to your request for Chesterfield tracks. I had hoped you might find one and I could possibly include it in Bluesipp's Track Library! The library doesn't even have a track for the W entrance because mine is lost in the depths of a very dead hard drive. So I cannot help at all except perhaps to say that the French chart of the l'Ile Longue passe is spot on. And also to say beware of going ashore around dusk because Hichcock's Birds are tame compared with Chesterfield's!!
I have just added a large number of tracks around New Caledonia which might possibly be of interest on your way home.
And of course if you have any tracks of your own which you would be prepared to share I should be delighted to add them.
The Library lives at Track Library
I tried to use the private reply but failed.
Fair winds
john
Bluesipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 23:01   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Tracks Wanted for Chesterfield Reef

No tracks to offer, but I can report that we've used the French charts, both paper and as offered in CM93 and have found them to be spot on. The anchorage (?) to the east of Ile Longue is difficult... thin sand over coral, lots of loose coral rubble in areas, poor protection in tradewind conditions.

We made our approach to the eastern entrance around the south end of the "hook", following the visible reef line northward about a half mile off. Clear water, no hazards noted. Gave the north end of the reef about a half mile clearance and had good depths, and then followed the western side of the reef down to the anchorage in the lee of the "Trois Ilots". This was excellent, with good sand bottom, around 30 feet depth and a few hundred feet off the beach of the biggest island. Sat out a 30-40 knot SE blow there in comfort. We checked several of the bommies shown on the chart and they were exactly where they were supposed to be. Did not see any that were not on the chart as we then exited via the western pass by I. Longue.

We know several folks who have approached the eastern entrance more or less straight across from Noumea without difficulty, but have no other info on the poorly charted areas.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
wanted