Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 00:59   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Tablet Navigation?

I put Navionics HD on a 10in tablet and it does a good job. When I got a Galaxy S5 phone recently, I was able to download it again and use it on the phone. With a Lifeproof case, the phone is great in a dinghy.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:27   #17

Boat: Tayana 47

Many thanks for all the replies, I'm starting to learn about this...

Yes, as some have mentioned, the iPhone is useful in a dinghy. I currently use an ooooold iPhone 4S with Navionics and agree that it's handier for dinghy use than a big tablet would be, plus it's usually in my pocket without having to anticipate fog moving in. But my wife and I plan to replace both our phones in June and may change to something else so I thought it would be nice for our tablet (in a life proof case) to be usable in the dinghy just in case. But not to get too sidetracked by dinghy use because that's certainly not our planned primary use for it.

I don't have anything against Windows based tablets, but do any of them that are approximately as affordable as used iPads have an internal GPS? I use a company owned Surface 2 at work and it doesn't have GPS. I think the Surface 3 does have GPS but they are still fairly expensive. Any recommendations? Or do you use a bluetooth puck?

From some of the comments about iPads, I seem to be getting that WIFI only iPads do not have an internal GPS? Am I understanding that correctly? Someone also mentioned that I'd need a Verizon or AT&T version but I don't understand why? On my iPhone I just turned off the WIFI and put it in airplane mode and GPS/Navionics still works fine. Also, am I correctly understanding that the version 1 iPads don't have internal GPS?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:40   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post

From some of the comments about iPads, I seem to be getting that WIFI only iPads do not have an internal GPS? Am I understanding that correctly? Someone also mentioned that I'd need a Verizon or AT&T version but I don't understand why? On my iPhone I just turned off the WIFI and put it in airplane mode and GPS/Navionics still works fine. Also, am I correctly understanding that the version 1 iPads don't have internal GPS?
WiFi only iPads do not have an internal GPS.
I have never heard that you need a specific AT&T or Verizon iPad - My Gen 3 is unisex and has no phone contract at all
No version 1 iPads have GPS because version 1 iPads did not have the phone chip and common folklore is the GPS stuff is in the "phone" chip

Bottom line is you need a sim/Phone capable iPad to get internal GPS but you need no carrier or phone service to run the GPS.

Note that any GPS apps that update maps "on the fly" like google maps, need a data plan or internet access via WiFi. I have tethered my Gen 1 to my phone for this in the past.

Navionics charts however are updated on WiFi and stored in the iPad.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:00   #19

Got it, thanks for clearing that up for me Ex-Calif!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:05   #20

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

I have an iPad 1 3G (built in gps) running Navioonics to suppliment navigating.
I use life proof waterproof cases for our iPhones.
Be aware that these cases aren't available for the iPad 1.
I will be buying a newer iPad for this reason as I really like the life proof cases.
I personally can't see fussing with a plastic Baggie for such an important nav aid.
I'm low budget but I give high regard for my nav tools therefore a plastic bag won't suffice.
I love my apple products.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:23   #21

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Jtsailit
your quote (I dont know yet how to do the response to your quote thing)
"From some of the comments about iPads, I seem to be getting that WIFI only iPads do not have an internal GPS? Am I understanding that correctly? Someone also mentioned that I'd need a Verizon or AT&T version but I don't understand why? On my iPhone I just turned off the WIFI and put it in airplane mode and GPS/Navionics still works fine. Also, am I correctly understanding that the version 1 iPads don't have internal GPS?"

Ex Calif correctly responded and clarified my comment. The identifier in ebay for a usd Ipad 2 or above will give you the choice of "Wifi only" or "Wifi and 3g" by giving you in the filter these options. They will have many times a comment "verizon" or "Att" or "Sprint" or another vendor. This means that this particular Ipad is only capable of connecting to that particular vendor IF YOU WANT IT. Dont be concerned that you need a contract because you do not. This is only that this Ipad has an internal GPS and all the comments that you read in this thread about external GPS units are not necessary. The wifi only Ipad 2 version is available and does not have GPS internally. I just bought one exactly like you are seeming likely to do on ebay and I got an Ipad 2 with GPS from Verizon (but I again did not contract with Verizon in any way....) In the picture, I have the charger cable plugged in and INavx open and the 12v extension cord. If the door that allows me to plug in the charger cord is open, then I feel that this is not waterproof. Therefore, I made the comment for you to try to cover this possible water entry by a plastic something ....like a small bag, tape etc. If you run the Ipad 2 with the navigation running and the screen on, it will last without a charge in my experience about 3-4 hours. With the charger cable plugged in and charging, indefinitely.

Next, my comments about the charger and the extension cord pictured is if you are going to be using this at some time in the future in a situation where your nav station goes down, and you need to use this. All the comments about the battery not working are true if your electrical system goes completely down. My comments are for you to have a way if you don't have a female 12v outlet at your helm to plug in a male ipad charger somewhere down below and have the Ipad at the helm. And last, an Ipad charges only at 2 amps so you must buy a charger that is for an Ipad or a USB connection that puts out 2.0 amps.

Send me a private note if you would like any clarifications.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150309_085245.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	98578   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150309_085510.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	98579  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150309_085725.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	98580  
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:33   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I did incorrectly state that Gen1 did not come with 3G and that was not correct.

You could get Gen 1 with 3G or you could get Gen 1 with WiFi only.

My bad...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:58   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I did incorrectly state that Gen1 did not come with 3G and that was not correct.

My bad...
Got it, thanks! I really appreciate all the comments, MUCH easier to learn from the experience of all of you than to have to read through all the sales literature myself, hoping I don't miss something that's obvious to all experienced users.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

That is correct. The GPS feature is implemented in the cellular chip. That is why the GPS feature is only present in the iPads with cellular support.

BTW, didn't Apple change the wording from "WiFi and 3G" to "WiFi and Cellular" on newer models to avoid confusion as the 3G/4G/LTE is a service provider issue. Buying a "4G" iPad and only getting 3G coverage could result in unhappy users and problems for Apple even though the service provider is responsible for the cell service, not Apple.

--
Sent from the restaurant at the end of the universe, probably using a PC, an iPhone or an iPad.
Popeye70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:13   #25

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye70 View Post
That is correct. The GPS feature is implemented in the cellular chip. That is why the GPS feature is only present in the iPads with cellular support.

BTW, didn't Apple change the wording from "WiFi and 3G" to "WiFi and Cellular" on newer models to avoid confusion as the 3G/4G/LTE is a service provider issue. Buying a "4G" iPad and only getting 3G coverage could result in unhappy users and problems for Apple even though the service provider is responsible for the cell service, not Apple.
This is the option that ebay in specific gives as these instructions were how to buy a used Ipad that will have the navigation with GPS function. They give wifi only or wifi + 3G and that will indicate that there is the GPS internally.
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:44   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

We used a cheapo Android tablet for all our dinghy and land needs and it was very good. GPS inbuilt.

Limitations were:

- not waterproof (use a plastic sleeve),
- not perfect view in bright sunlight.

We used a combo of Apps, depending on what we wanted to do.

The only thing I would do is get a better display (some say AM/OLED screens are best in the bright sun).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:33   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We run a Raymarine system but our backup is a Dell tablet with OpenCPN and a Hamlet solar powered bluetooth gps. We test it about once a month when underway and it works great.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:51   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We used a cheapo Android tablet for all our dinghy and land needs and it was very good. GPS inbuilt.

Limitations were:

- not waterproof (use a plastic sleeve),
- not perfect view in bright sunlight.

We used a combo of Apps, depending on what we wanted to do.

The only thing I would do is get a better display (some say AM/OLED screens are best in the bright sun).

b.
x2

In addition to our laptop with usb gps, we have 2 smart phones (motorola droids) that have build in gps (not cell tower fake outs), 2 tablets (1 galaxy and 1 $50 off brand) both with real gps.

Add a waterproof bag if taking it into the dingy but otherwise, should be fine for quadruple backup.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 13:39   #29

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

There are a few sturdy and waterproof android phones and tablets available.
Or just use a cheap (used?) android phone a have a few spares.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 14:20   #30

Boat: Valiant 40

Any iPad that is capable of mobile cellular data has a GPS chip. Doesn't matter who the carrier was.

Don't get the iPad 1. While it would work fine functionally, it is considerably heavier than the G2 model and as some have pointed out finding accessories for it would be difficult.

I'm eligible for a phone upgrade soon. I have a iPhone 5 and I'm looking at the iPhone 6 and 6 plus. I was leery of getting the larger size since I carry my phone in my pocket virtually all the time onshore/nearshore but a few people I know have said it's not a problem. It's so big it's almost a mini iPad, lol.

Also if you have an iPhone, be aware that they hold their value so well that if you upgrade every two years you can sell your old phone on eBay for more than the cost of the upgrade. Now that they are selling them in China you might not get as much as one used to get. They were gobbled up on eBay and shipped to off to be resold there.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation