Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 21:39   #1

Boat: Cal 40
St Augustine Inlet, Florida

Hello,

I am planning a trip into St Augustine during the month of May and was hoping to get the latest word about the St Augustine Inlet and its condition. Any advise as to shoaling, water depth and caution areas.

Thanks

Patrick
wheeedogggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 23:53   #2

Re: St Augustine Inlet, Florida

I have later found some previous threads that have discussed this entrance into St Augustine. If anyone has any updates that are valid since fall of 2012, please let me know.
Old 19-04-2013, 03:18   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Call boat us or seatow and ask fro local knowledge. They may help, then again
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 04:00   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Highly recommend local knowledge for this inlet, and fair weather only...or use St. Johns instead. There's a St. Augustine Cruiser's Net and the St. Augustine Riverkeeper...both can be very helpful. On the net's Facebook Page(https://www.facebook.com/groups/staugustinecruisersnet/), the "riverkeeper" posts the current position of the buoys (they change often) -- the last image was from 3/18/2013 (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater). Good luck and be safe!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 04:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Patrick.

See also ➥ http://setsail.com/st-augustine-inle...ed-navigation/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 04:55   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Go to the Port of St Augustine website and get the lat/long of the entrance buoys. Only the seabuoy is on the standard charts, as the others are moved around. They are small and difficult to see in the seas. There is a dog leg in the entrance that you must pay attention to. With the lat/longs entered onto a chart plotter (or chart) it is pretty easy to pick them out. There is plenty of water in the entrance (at least there was in Dec when we went in and Jan when we went out). I would not take the entrance in rough weather - or in a strong ebb on a medium day.
Old 19-04-2013, 05:22   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The CG has just redone the buoys there in the inlet, so be sure to get the latest information. Check out Cruisers Net.
Old 21-04-2013, 18:03   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 50
I went through a couple of weeks ago. There is a dog leg in the channel but in good visibility starting at the charted sea bout you can follow it in. The channel runs west from the sea buoy then angles toward the north. About half way in it turns back to the SW on a course straight toward the east end of the south jetty. As you approach the jetty it turns back parallel to it on a westerly course. Sounds confusing, but pretty straight forward in good visibility. There is some shoaling on the south side of the channel and it is recommended that you favor the north ( red) side. There is 10' or more all the way in. Do not attempt it in poor visibility, those tiny buoys are difficult to see in fair weather and nearly impossible to pick up on radar if there is any sea running.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 18:19   #9

Thanks to everyone for all of the great information. We are excited to get down there.
Old 21-04-2013, 18:19   #10

Boat: csy 37

i've been avoiding it lately. there's shoaling and the bouys have been moved around quite a bit lately. any kind of seas make it hazardous. two friends of mine have hit bottom coming in, one a 45' perry with 6' draft, the other an endeavour 32 with i think 4' draft.

and once you're inside it can be very confusing with bouys sending you north, west, and south. not trying to scare you, but be cautious. consider going north to jacksonville. it's an 'all weather' inlet.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 18:45   #11

Yes, I have read of these tales from numerous sailors. We are going north, just under the bridge and plan to use caution. I have also read about the currents that have caught others unaware. We will be coming in with a shoal draft (swing keel) boat and all of us are very experienced (we have all run aground numerous times). Thanks for the update, it is great to have the latest information.
Old 21-04-2013, 19:08   #12

Boat: csy 37

don't know how far you're going, but if you cross into georgia be sure to stop for a day or more at cumberland island national seashore. well worth the visit.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 19:11   #13

Actually we are going to put the boat up at the marina right next to the bridge (can't remember the name off the top of my head). We are moving the boat from Newport and are on the way to Kemah, Texas but will be doing it in short hops.

Thanks for the tip anyway.
Old 21-04-2013, 19:44   #14

Active Captain is a great source for this type of info. There are several recent comments about the inlet. This facebook page is also mentioned in AC. Scroll down to a view of the current buoys:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saint...79315892095251

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 04:45   #15

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Sounds like you are heading to my home port of Comachee Cove yacht harbor. Let me know if you need any additional local knowledge.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida