Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 08:32   #196
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
To sum up SeaClear II

SealClear isn't the ultimate solution for a laptop based chart plotter. However, it does have a lot going for it.

The program is free of charge.
It is well written and works
Domestic updated charts are free of charge
You can integrate other NMEA 0183 boat instruments into the GUI.

What you can not do for free:

Obtain international charts.
Have an intuitive piece of software
Have trouble free setup and installation

As they say, all things are a compromise. If Seaclear's list of features fit's your needs it's a very good plotter solution. It's accurate on displayed boat position (subject to NOAA chart accuracy) and has a very good, if basic, route planner. However, if you plan to cruise outside of the United States, or are computer challenged, it is not a solution you will want to consider.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:35   #197

Boat: Irwin 37 Ketch, Southern Drawl
Offsetting the cursor and getting range and bearing

Seaclear will also let you put the cursor anywhere on the chart and then get range and bearing from that point. To do this, turn on "automatic" mode, position the cursor to the required point, triple click the touch pad and hold your finger down, (the Lat/Long window turns green) and drag the end of the bearing line to the required point. You can also do this by double clicking the left button in "automatic" mode. You then read the range and bearing in the Lat/Long window, as well as the Lat/Long of the ending point. Just a bit more capability with this marvelous free software.
Fair Winds...
Southern Drawl
SouthernDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 10:23   #198

A question about Maptech BSB format charts

Does anyone know if the Maptech BSB format charts are useable on SeaClear II? I'd like to buy their Sea of Cortez and Baja kit if I thought I could use it on SeaClear II. Maybe someone has tried it already.
Thanks.
SouthernDrawl
Old 14-05-2009, 10:37   #199
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
The current maptech BSB charts use an encrypted format that will not run on SeaClear II. Around 2003-2004 Maptech abandoned the unencrypted BSB3 format that SeaClear reads. I'm not aware of any free programs that can use the current Maptech charts.
Old 14-05-2009, 11:18   #200
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bob, when you say Maptech charts...I take it you mean ones bought from Maptech are no longer the same older standard BSB charts that are currently available free of charge from NOAA?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 13:02   #201
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Hellosailor, That's correct. The current Maptech charts that are not available free from NOAA are in a format that is encrypted and requires the developer of a navigation program to pay royalties for the right to use the encrypted charts. This started back in 2003-2004 and I'm assuming that the new owners of the Maptech rights will continue this.
Old 21-05-2009, 08:41   #202

Inexpensive raster charts available online

After extensive searching for raster charts for the Sea of Cortez (and other areas outside the coverage of NOAA) that are free or inexpensive usable with SeaClear, I found that East View Cartographic has them and can email them to you or send them on a CD or DVD. And not pricey at all, compared to buying a chart and scanning it. They are NGA charts which should be pretty good. I have no interest in this enterprize, I just wanted to share some hard won information for the folks who are using SeaClear and other raster plotters. When I receive my charts, I'll let you know how they work with SeaClear.
Fair Winds to all.
SouthernDrawl
Old 01-06-2009, 10:27   #203

NGA raster charts for SeaClear II

After some false starts, I realized that the charts ".TIFF" files should be converted to .WCI files, which the MapCal utility does with Tools menu. Then calibrate the charts with two points in upper left and lower right corners with known Lat./Long. positions, and it's easy. Works fine. So now, charts of foreign waters are easily accessed and not expensive.
Good luck
SouthernDrawl
Old 24-09-2010, 12:19   #204

SeaClear interacts with G7toWin (mentioned in the SeaClear Docs) to interface a Garmin USB GPS.

G7toWin.exe is a seperate program that is available on the Internet, it also is free. Just Google "G7toWin"

There are issues with new 64bit computers. Older 32bit computers with Windows XP work well.

I have used SeaClear II with ocean-going power boats for several years with excelent success.
thesilverfox777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 12:53   #205

Re: SeaClear

I have been using SeaClear for many years. It plots AIS data nicely and has a lot of the features that the expensive pay-for-programs use. No problems with using this freeware once you learn how to use it, since the manual is not the best I have seen. I have tried other freeware, but they were less generous to me... Worth a try.
Isabell_skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 13:27   #206

Boat: SS34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabell_skipper View Post
I have been using SeaClear for many years. It plots AIS data nicely and has a lot of the features that the expensive pay-for-programs use. No problems with using this freeware once you learn how to use it, since the manual is not the best I have seen. I have tried other freeware, but they were less generous to me... Worth a try.

I have used Seaclear for many years, well over 10. First on my commercial fishing vessel and then on my yacht.

The manual is a bit confusing but there are manuals and self help available from a dedicated Seaclear forum.
seaclear_mapping@yahoogroups.com
seaclear_mapping : Seaclear GPS Navigation User Group
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 13:44   #207

Hi all,

I have question about Seaclear. Problem is that I have a NMEA GPS signal coming from other computer that is connected to GPS and AIS reciver.

Is there a (easy) way to get Seaclear to work with TCP/IP connection?

All I have to work with is a IP address and a port.
Kusse is offline   Reply With Quote