Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 10:03   #1

Boat: To Be Determined
Open CPN - Chart 'Mark' file copying

Trouble copying files. I have been using Open CPN for a few years. I update my CM93 (Jan 2011) Charts with NOTMARS for the areas I sail: the San Juan's (Pacific NW, USA) and Gulf Islands (Canada). I note changes to Aids to Navigation, hazards and depth amendments etc on these charts by using the 'DROP MARK HERE' utility then identify the particular change/addition through MARK -W/P properties with an appropriate symbol and description. Here is my problem: I need to copy this information to another computer. I have tried to copy all Open CPN data files and CM93 charts but to no avail. Does anyone know where and in what file(s) this information resides so I can transfer them? Thanks.
livedelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 17:23   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: Open CPN - Chart 'Mark' file copying

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedelife View Post
Trouble copying files. I have been using Open CPN for a few years. I update my CM93 (Jan 2011) Charts with NOTMARS for the areas I sail: the San Juan's (Pacific NW, USA) and Gulf Islands (Canada). I note changes to Aids to Navigation, hazards and depth amendments etc on these charts by using the 'DROP MARK HERE' utility then identify the particular change/addition through MARK -W/P properties with an appropriate symbol and description. Here is my problem: I need to copy this information to another computer. I have tried to copy all Open CPN data files and CM93 charts but to no avail. Does anyone know where and in what file(s) this information resides so I can transfer them? Thanks.
these things reside in the navobj.xml and the others like it..(navobj.xml.1 etc.)
BUT YOUR BEST PLAN IS TO USE THE "EXPORT ALL" button in the route manager. It will create a ".gpx" file with the name you give it.and will contain all your stuff per routes waypoints tracks.
You should be making backups this way regularly anyways.

"Export" or Copy the file to a usb memory stick,plug it into your other computer and then IMPORT this file from the other OpenCPN.

read the help file that comes with Opencpn for more info.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 08:33   #3

HappyS. Thank you very much. I will try copying the navobj.xml files today and let you know the results. I have had no problem exporting all of my routes, tracks & WP's, I have been unable to copy my 'marks.'
Old 13-02-2013, 11:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedelife View Post
HappyS. Thank you very much. I will try copying the navobj.xml files today and let you know the results. I have had no problem exporting all of my routes, tracks & WP's, I have been unable to copy my 'marks.'
hmm. that's odd, not being able to export marks. What version of O are you using?

meantime, I'm using a newer beta and things have changed from older ones, but I never had a problem unless my homemade icons,links such were not on the same path in my other computer.

AND (this is version depending) You might try checking out the visibility of the icons in the waypoint manager of both computers... If it shows no icon, click the blank(which'd mean it's invisible) or, in later betas, click the eyeball crossed out

or try exporting marks from the Waypoint "page". (I wish this page was called "Marks" because I always find the semantics odd)
Old 13-02-2013, 12:34   #5

Well ... I feel dumb! But I learned something! I mentioned before that I have been able to export all my tracks, routes and wp's but I DID NOT KNOW that I would have to export my WP's as well. I've never had to 'look under that tab.' That explains everything! It works now. I thank you very much.

I am using 2.5.0 because I don't like 3.0.2 - I started to use 3.0.2 wanted to change the chart TEXT color. I changed it to Black and have never been able to change the color back to Grey. The font and text size can be changed, however. I do like the GL though. Do you have any ideas to be able to change the CHART TEXT color?

I much appreciate your help with the above!
Old 14-02-2013, 10:34   #6

Hey, great livedelife!

as to the text changing in 2.5.0 you can read your ".ini" file and change the colour there (I think !)( it's been awhile- also instead of trusting me, you could try a forum search in the OpenCPN thread or repost the question over there too!) Also,of course your help file that came with the install O !!

and, OF COURSE you will Make a backup of your old ini file, won't you??just adding ".old" to it works fine.
O must be OFF before fiddling with the ini file.

An EASIER way is to rename the old file as backup, then just restart O.
She will write a new ini file and put everything back to default, including your texts. Your marks and what not will be safe but certain things you will have to retweak back the way you liked it.
Old 15-02-2013, 14:29   #7

Thanks once again HappySeagull! It's the Chart Text in 3.0.2 that I am having trouble with. I will try to find the appropriate *.ini and see what I can do. Thanks. I'll work on that over the weekend.
Old 15-02-2013, 15:07   #8

oh,sorry, I thought you were reverting to 2.5 after 3.02 screwed it up... that's the way to do it.
But you (may) be able to fix the text the same way in 3.02 - certainly you can reset any version of O by hiding the old ini and forcing her to write a new.

3.0.x was a quantum leap over 2.5.x and the ini files won't exactly "agree" I bet.

for these reasons, I'm very fond of the Portable versions that 3.0. + are capable of.... They won't mess with your good ol' 2.5.