Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 11:25   #1

Nova Scotia currents

We are planning to cruise up the East side of Nova Scotia this coming summer and can't find any information regarding tidal currents. The Canadian Fisheries and Oceans Tide and Current Tables lists only 2 locations for current velocities, both on the Western side of Nova Scotia. Does anyone know of a source for additional tidal current information for Nova Scotia, or have any personal knowledge of tidal currents on the East side? Thanks in advance.
Bob S
limte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 16:52   #2

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Re: Nova Scotia currents

limte..

I think you will find most of the info here:

Index of Sites - Tides, Currents, and Water Levels

Tore
Old 09-04-2013, 18:09   #3

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Hey Bob-

Nice to hear you're coming our way. there's some awesome cruising along the NS east coast - but don't tell anyone. it's awfully nice to have so many anchorages to chose from by yourself!

re currents - there really aren't any significant ones to worry about along the coast. a few channels and spots between mainland and islands, but all significant currents (say over 0.5knt) are shown on the charts. if you're hanging around the bottom corner, getting close to fundy, then it's a different matter entirely; but as soon as you're clear of the corner, currents drop to minimal levels.

how far up are you planning to go? many folks cruise the sw shore (usually from about Shelburne as far as Halifax) and then jump along the east shore in one big jump to make it to the Bra's D'or lakes in Cape Breton (they call it our inland sea - it's a big friggin salt water lake - lovely cruising too). But, i think that's missing most of the best of the province. The eastern shore (from Halifax to Canso) is absolutely stunningly beautiful, remote, rugged and full of amazing anchorages, sandy beaches, great hikes and parklands. it's remote though - no options for fuel or supplies much.

There is a definitive (and very well written) cruising guide that you MUST have if you cruise NS. it's called "a cruising guide to Nova Scotia" by Peter Loveridge. ISBN 0-07-038808 International Marine/McGraw Hill. I think it's out of print, but you may be able to find used copies. there are other cruising guides (I have 5 now I think) but none compare to this one for actual utility and information. it's getting a bit dated, but the rocks don't move a lot, and there are plenty of them.

I'd be happy to provide more info, and contacts/planning assistance any time. we even have a mooring you might be able to use depending on your timing. Where are you coming from?

reg-
ben
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 19:49   #4

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Hi Bob..

Here is a useful Android version of the Eastern Canada tidal system:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3t9...it?usp=sharing

Install it in your smartphone or/and tablet for quick reference. Lots of interesting info.

Tore
Old 09-04-2013, 20:20   #5

Google "Silver Donald Cameron" - great cruising books.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:37   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bob.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:30   #7

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Welcome. We are heading that way when we kick off our long term cruise next year.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:47   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Sheet Harbour is good for fuel, provisions etc. The shelter's pretty good too.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:34   #9

Hello

Two other guides you should consider are:
Cruising Guide to the Canadian Maritimes
ISBN 0-9731659-1-X
This guide is great if you are planning on visiting
the Bras d'Or Lakes or any part of Cape Breton

the other guide is:

Cruising Guide to the Down East Circle Route
ISBN 0-9731659-2-0
Which covers the entire circle route but will have
all the info you need for Nova Scotia's south shore and
the eastern shore.

As for currents you only need to be concerned from Brazil Rock
(south of Shelburne) and on around to the Bay of Fundy. From Shelburne
all the way to Cape Breton currents are not an issue.

The prevailing winds are SW and they can blow strongly during the day which is great for heading up the coast. After about mid-August the winds being to shift more west and even NW which is great for returning down the coast to Maine.
marlinespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 15:36   #10

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Bob, we are heading up there also this summer. The Loveridge is a must have. It's a PDF on a DVD. I printed it out and had It spiral bound. The CCA also has a good one called, "Cruising Guide to the Nova Scotia Coast". Another one I like because I do want to spend time on the Eastern Shore is called "Cruising the Eastern Shore" by Mike Cox. There is also a great web site that you can print chartlets of the Bras d'Ors from called Cruising Cape Brenton by the Dobson Yacht Club - http://cruising-cape-breton.info/

Anyone have any info on what is sometimes called the Inside Passage between Owls Head and Liscomb. It sounds vey intriguing. I hope to spend some time there.

We plan on leaving the Cape Cod Canal on June 26 for Shelburne and slowly work our way up to the Bras d'Ors returning home mid August.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 16:10   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
Anyone have any info on what is sometimes called the Inside Passage between Owls Head and Liscomb. It sounds vey intriguing. I hope to spend some time there.
I have done it. interesting and not too difficult. Flat water when its bumpier outside, so useful when going west. Some of the nav marks are missing, but we only had to back out of one wrong turn We just used chart and eyeballs, but I seem to remember that one of the guides provides some directions.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 16:15   #12

that inside passage is indeed there, and is worth it. it's a jewel. a very narrow and confusing jewel at times, not to be done in adverse conditions or low vis (which if you've been here, you know is quite frequently). if you get the right day, it is magical.

Really, it's a series of small inside passages linking inlets and bays. Many parts of it are quite easily done in less than perfect weather - there are quite a few local markers that aren't shown on many charts, and in my experience they are quite well placed. There are only really a few tricky bits that would really benefit from some local knowledge. We found the Loveridge guide to be the most useful along this shore as he does walk you thru many of these tight passages, and we found his sense of adventure and limitations to be similar to ours. The only negative to these inside passages is the very real possibility of bumping something very hard if you stray a bit. it's all granite and very immovable. we've done various parts of it several times now and have yet to hit anything really hard (we did it in a 40 year old wooden ketch so we were very concerned about bumping hard). a good lookout, read and re-read the instructions in the guide books, and take your time and it will be more than worth it!

when you come thru halifax, drop us a line and we can have a bbq and go over some charts if you like. We're in Purcell's Cove, Halifax. might even have a spare mooring nearby.

bg
Old 12-04-2013, 08:54   #13

Boat: Little Harbor 38
NSBoatman, thanks for the offers we may well take you up on them!

I imagine a chart plotter will be a real asset. My biggest question is, how protected is the inside passage and what kind of conditions do you feel it is un-doable.

Thx
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 06:52   #14

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses to my post. Safari38LH, we will be leaving Rhode Island for Maine and Nova Scotia approximately June 23rd. Not sure if we will go through the Canal or Pollock Rip, but perhaps we will see you enroute. We are sailing a Baba 35 "Timothy Lee". NSboatman, thank you for the kind offer of additional information, and perhaps use of a mooring. I have noted my email below; if you are willing to contact me off-list that would be great.
Regards,
Bob S
lettim@peoplepc.com
limte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 13:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
NSBoatman, thanks for the offers we may well take you up on them!

I imagine a chart plotter will be a real asset. My biggest question is, how protected is the inside passage and what kind of conditions do you feel it is un-doable.

Thx
Yep, chart plotter is a huge help, depending on how up to date your charts are of course. As I said though, e rocks don't move much. There have been lots of changes in lights and buoys though.

What conditions depends on so many things. Many of the smaller channels and passages are between small islands, where it can be lovely and calm, then you have some relatively open water to traverse between them. It's not uncommon to be a little surprised when you poke out from behind these sheltered parts. There can be a good swell running around the entrances to the channels and islets, and it can seem a little hairy at times, but like all these things it depends on so many things. Ive had to forcibly ignore the crashing and surging of swells and chop on jagged rock outcrops as we threaded the needle a few times. It definitely can get hairy, but it is usually a matter of choice, as there are good harbor of refuge and usually decent forecasts. Pay attention to the weather primarily, but lots of other things play into it as well. You'll figure it out pretty quick I'm sure!

Bg