Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 14:53   #1

Not another one?

Did I miss this discussion ? Another case of a "Nintendo Navigation" assisted grounding?

Or has it already been discussed?

http://nypost.com/2017/08/29/sailboa...m-remote-reef/
Old 02-09-2017, 15:10   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Not another one?

Let's just accept that four British people were successfully rescued with just their passports at a remote atoll in a remote part of the South Pacific. Trying to assuage a cause isn't appropriate in a forum.

They were very fortunate that the Dutch (not New Zealand as reported)whale research yacht Dona Catharina was already moored in the reef and heard the distress call.
Old 02-09-2017, 15:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Trying to assuage a cause isn't appropriate in a forum.

Ohhhhh so you are saying " there are no lessons to be learned here, move along please"

Lets hope no one repeats their "errors"?? with a tragic outcome next time.
Old 02-09-2017, 16:08   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
They were very fortunate that the Dutch (not New Zealand as reported)whale research yacht Dona Catharina was already moored in the reef and heard the distress call.
And why is it better getting rescued by the Dutch rather than the Kiwis????

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 16:54   #5

A little more from the Times.

“It was fairly interesting. We surfed onto the reef. Bit of a navigation error. It was very violent and we grounded. We were then being hit by subsequent waves as they came over us,” Mr Cooper, from Stirling, told The Times by satellite phone from the rescue yacht.

He said their catamaran hit the reef at 4am…
Old 02-09-2017, 16:59   #6

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

I know this family well. The skipper has been on or around the water for the past thirty five years, has sailed across the Atlantic more times than you can count on two hands and is one of the finest seamen that it has ever been my privilege to know. I GUARANTEE you that there is more to the story than you will find in a newspaper or from the armchair sailors who are going slag them on this little web site.
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 18:55   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post
I know this family well. The skipper has been on or around the water for the past thirty five years, has sailed across the Atlantic more times than you can count on two hands and is one of the finest seamen that it has ever been my privilege to know. I GUARANTEE you that there is more to the story than you will find in a newspaper or from the armchair sailors who are going slag them on this little web site.
Understanding what went wrong is not a matter of slagging them; rather it is highly beneficial for cruising sailors to learn from the mistakes of others. Especially so when a very experienced and a fine seaman makes an error that causes the loss of his vessel. It is actually an honour to learn from such people and even the most experienced among us on "on this little web site" can benefit from knowing how this loss occurred.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 20:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post
I know this family well. The skipper ..........is one of the finest seamen that it has ever been my privilege to know. I GUARANTEE you that there is more to this story.......
You have now piqued my interest. Are you saying he deliberately run the boat onto the reef?
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 23:45   #9

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

But it's gonna be fun....
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:23   #10

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
You have now piqued my interest. Are you saying he deliberately run the boat onto the reef?
Slug, you have just made my point.

In a day or two the site will have fifteen pages of wild speculation and debate all based on the scant info provided in a newspaper article of questionable reliability, or better yet, a dozen newspaper articles which are based on each other.

After a wreak, this place reminds me of the 'experts' I used to see on TV immediately following an airplane crash, knowledgeably spouting off utterly uninformed BS about the cause. That's not news, that's entertainment, and so it goes here.

Members of the Cruisers Forum Board of Inquiry: have fun sagely pronouncing all of the same stuff that gets pronounced here when a stranger suffers a wreak. I'll be sitting this one out until I have a chance to get some facts, preferably from Bobby himself over a cold beer in a warm place.

s/v Grateful
laying Hog Island, St Georges Grenada, WI
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:29   #11

Boat: Oyster 66

I don't think there is a need to speculate about the cause of this as the cause is clear. The owner implies he didn't zoom through the scales on his plotter when passage planning and so missed the reef. It was only seen on the zoomed-in view. A very similar screw up as with the VOR wreck 3 years ago. A good report is here:
British couple marooned in shark-infested Pacific | Daily Mail Online
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:37   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I don't think there is a need to speculate about the cause of this as the cause is clear. The owner implies he didn't zoom through the scales on his plotter when passage planning and so missed the reef. It was only seen on the zoomed-in view. A very similar screw up as with the VOR wreck 3 years ago. A good report is here:
British couple marooned in shark-infested Pacific | Daily Mail Online
Same thing happened to a US catamaran a few years back because of not zooming through or having the wrong the resolution set on their electronic plotter.

There is something to be said for paper charts that would have the dangerous reef plotted even on wide area charts.

Had the same thing happen to me with the oil platforms off Santa Barbara, USA. Unless you had the right display resolution set on the plotter display, the platforms didn't show. Even on the right resolution, one of the platforms wasn't plotted.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:50   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

We discussed it in this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...em-140632.html

There but for the grace of God go I. Using vector charts for passage planning requires great care, and awareness of this issue.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 13:44   #14

Thanks poui for the link.

Looks like the normal blindly following icon on screen, no one on deck routine.

Limited understanding of navigation equipment.

Glad everyone is safe.
Old 03-09-2017, 14:38   #15

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Thanks poui for the link.

Looks like the normal blindly following icon on screen, no one on deck routine.

Limited understanding of navigation equipment.

Glad everyone is safe.
I think the screen or paper would be all that you had to go off here. The accident happened at night where even with radar you can't necessarily see or hear a landless, barely submerged reef in time like the one they hit, so a good lookout may not have saved them.

It's simple really, but maybe it's not so obvious and certainly it wasn't for me until I learnt from these type of mistakes. Zoom in and out on the plotter or PC along every section you are to travel on and keep well clear of dangers in case they (or you) are not where they are meant to be.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote