Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2014, 12:35   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Nimble Navigator?

Nimble Navigator - Marine Navigation and Charting Software

Any one use this and have comments on its worth?
Price is very reasonable..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 13:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Nimble Navigator?

The next question for those that use it.
If you use and handheld GPS, which one works easily with it?
Old 13-05-2014, 13:26   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Nimble Navigator?

I've been using it for nearly 3yrs now.. I find it easy to use and very good.. got it in SMX from the designer 'Quinn' who is a fellow cruiser and live aboard.
Good support system and I would recommend it to anyone..
I link it to a GPS puck on a 2m USB lead.. but would link to a Garmin HH.. Mike will let you know the pro's and con's...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 13:57   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I've been using it for nearly 3yrs now.. I find it easy to use and very good.. got it in SMX from the designer 'Quinn' who is a fellow cruiser and live aboard.
Good support system and I would recommend it to anyone..
I link it to a GPS puck on a 2m USB lead.. but would link to a Garmin HH.. Mike will let you know the pro's and con's...
Are the charts updated or is there a system to update them.....
And a fee?

It seems like a good package I just want to be ok with the updates.....
Old 13-05-2014, 14:28   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"You only need a set of CM93 charts"

Ah, there's the point end of the stick. You either need to buy a lot of charts, or try to locate the bootleg sets. Which so many people say are so easy to find--but oddly enough, no one ever actually posts a URL to a current download source.

Probably because bootlegging is, ah, copyright theft and sources get swatted down pretty quickly.

Nice idea to put nav software into what is usually called "Portable Apps" on a USB stick. Nicer still if there was a chart source to use with it besides the suggestion that they are "needed".

Really? The CM93 business? Again?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 17:23   #6

I do not understand why some folks freak out at the mention of the CM93 charts. Maybe because they have paid a fortune for the charts they have and do not like the idea that others have found that the expense was not necessary.

If you use the SEARCH function in this forum, select the Google Custom Search, and enter the search phrase cm93 download, you can find a Cruisers Forum Topic that discusses the legality of the CM93 charts. Read the entire topic.

Also, If you use the SEARCH function in this forum, select the Google Custom Search, and enter the search phrase CM93 1/2011 and OpenCPN, you can find a Cruisers Forum Topic that discusses downloading the CM93 charts. Read the entire topic.

Quinn built a system (I use it) that does not require thousands of dollars in charts and that can be used to sail around the world. The Navstick with the built-in GPS seems really trick.

To (some very hot place with brimstone ) with the nay-sayers!
cm93charts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 17:28   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Nimble Navigator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm93charts View Post
I do not understand why some folks freak out at the mention of the CM93 charts. Maybe because they have paid a fortune for the charts they have and do not like the idea that others have found that the expense was not necessary.

If you use the SEARCH function in this forum, select the Google Custom Search, and enter the search phrase cm93 download, you can find a Cruisers Forum Topic that discusses the legality of the CM93 charts. Read the entire topic.

Also, If you use the SEARCH function in this forum, select the Google Custom Search, and enter the search phrase CM93 1/2011 and OpenCPN, you can find a Cruisers Forum Topic that discusses downloading the CM93 charts. Read the entire topic.

Quinn built a system (I use it) that does not require thousands of dollars in charts and that can be used to sail around the world. The Navstick with the built-in GPS seems really trick.

To (some very hot place with brimstone ) with the nay-sayers!
That's a relatively new development of his.. he was still doing CD's when I got mine..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 17:29   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm93charts View Post

The Navstick with the built-in GPS seems really trick.

Well! That told some people!
Have you actually USED the NAVSTICK? Im looking for hands on opinions of the program.
Old 13-05-2014, 18:01   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Also, If you use the SEARCH function in this forum, select the Google Custom Search, and enter the search phrase CM93 1/2011 and OpenCPN, "

Actually, it generates 496 hits as of just now.

Last time I saw a thread on CM93 charts, every reference went to a dead link or a malware site generating a web security warning.

Considering that any and every "free" CM93 distribution will be stolen goods, because every CM93 chart is copyrighted, and they'll be obsolete stolen goods as well...

To say that someone is selling software which relies on those charts but it doesn't need expensive charts, is disingenuous at best. Either it needs the usual very expensive charts, bought from the legal sources, or it needs mass copyright theft.

Surely, endorsing mass theft has to grossly violate the forum's high standards?

Perhaps some world cruisers do pass around their CM93 charts hand-to-hand just like photocopies of real charts. Perhaps that's all well and good. But trying to locate CM93 charts from "public" sources is like trying to download software from Pirate Bay torrents. The risk of malware, or intentionally corrupted charts, has to be real.

Interesting--but not something the mythological "prudent mariner" would want to rely on.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 18:21   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The Nimble Navstick is about $150, I think, and has its own GPS in the tiny dongle... Its antenna is the cutest lil thing.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 18:23   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The Nimble Navstick is about $150, I think, and has its own GPS in the tiny dongle... Its antenna is the cutest lil thing.
Have you used it Mark?
Old 13-05-2014, 18:45   #12

"Also, If you use the SEARCH function in this forum, select the Google Custom Search, and enter the search phrase CM93 1/2011 and OpenCPN, "

I just did this again and (unlike hellosailor) I got 8 links listed and after skipping the 2 adds the first link was the Cruisers Forum Topic that I was referring to.

"Last time I saw a thread on CM93 charts, every reference went to a dead link or a malware site generating a web security warning."

Follow the link CM93 1/2011 and OpenCPN above.

"Considering that any and every "free" CM93 distribution will be stolen goods, because every CM93 chart is copyrighted, and they'll be obsolete stolen goods as well...

To say that someone is selling software which relies on those charts but it doesn't need expensive charts, is disingenuous at best. Either it needs the usual very expensive charts, bought from the legal sources, or it needs mass copyright theft."

Jeppesen (the current CMap guys) do not hold a valid copyright on the CM93 charts. Read the Topic cm93 download I mentioned in the post above. Then read the articles about the court decisions concerning their "copyright". There has been even more current information on the web concerning this subject if you want to research it.

There is a vast difference between being prudent and just being a prude. Quite often I've used charts, both paper and computer, that might be 3 or 4 years (or more) old. My idea of prudence is not a dependence on, nor trust in, the latest chart of an area. I've sailed in areas of the world where last week's storm made last month's chart obsolete. The latest chart is not a substitute for seamanship. Nor will an older chart foul a sailor that can well use his wits and experience.
Old 13-05-2014, 19:04   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

What is the advantage of Nimble Navigator over the free Open Cpn?
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 19:06   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Given that a minor war has erupted over cm93s..... are there any other charts that are available that wont incite as much passion and reasonable in cost for the Nimble?
Old 13-05-2014, 19:36   #15

Some countries are starting to release free down-loadable charts for their areas of the world. USA, New Zealand, Brazil, just to name a few. But many countries still don't do this. The CM93 chart set seems to be the only download available for the entire world.

And for Weavis, I use Nimble (from CD) and the software in the Navstick is the same stuff. I'm with Boatman61, works good, costs little.

The advantage over OpenCPN? Enter "nimble navigator" crash (be sure to use the quotes) into Google and of the 200+ hits it seems not one of them have anything to do with a problem in Nimble. Then enter opencpn crash into Google and see the results of that.