Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014, 13:22   #16

Re: Nav Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailersteve View Post
I've changed every light to LED. maybe LED deck lighting all around in white or off white, i'm sure to be seen at anchor ? being by myself i'd like to sleep peacefully anywhere i anchor. Any suggestions ? My boat came with red-green on bow, white on front of mast 25ft up that can't be seen from the side, & stern light that can't be seen from the side. I don't think my boat came with an anchor light ( white-ish/yellow-ish light to be seen all around. What would be my factory anchor lights ?
Another option is to hang an anchor light in the foretriangle from a halyard. Attach a line to the bail at the bottom and attach it near the bow.

jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:46   #17

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat
Re: nav lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Now THAT is a good idea. Deck lighting would help. One option would be to put a few of those cheap solar lawn lights along the rail. I always have a few on board. They break easily, but at 99 cents I can afford to replace them. The real value comes on those dark nights at anchor. Sometimes the anchorage turns out to be a local shortcut for small boats. The anchor light can get lost in the background, or just not be obvious from a small boat.
Having extra lights on when running at night is a really BAD idea. At anchor it's OK.

Having extra lights on when you're running not only obscures the official running lights -- making it more difficult for others to establish your heading -- but it also greatly diminishes your own night vision.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:09   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

If your concern is being seen while underway, carry a 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight in the cockpit. If you notice a ship or boat heading your way and can't raise them on the VHF, shine the light up on your sails. Kind of hard to miss that, but if they keep coming, flip the light quickly across their bridge so as to present a flash, and not to blind them.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:28   #19

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

thanks. I have 5000-LUM LED spreader lights to see & to be seen while underway when needed.
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:55   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

consider all round sailing lights near the top of the mast, i.e. all round red over all round green, most larger sailing vessels, achieve this by two sets of lights either side of the mast.

will make you look like a superyacht. But these can be legitimately used with sidelights. and provides excellent visibility from the side , which is what you are trying to achieve.

dave
Old 17-05-2014, 11:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
consider all round sailing lights near the top of the mast, i.e. all round red over all round green, most larger sailing vessels, achieve this by two sets of lights either side of the mast.

Will not the mast obscure the part of the arc of the light?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 12:15   #22

Yes you can have extra lights on the boat. No you can not turn them on at inappropriate times. Rules for Category 1 offshore races require "reserve" nav lights. It is common for boats of that class to have extra lights installed. Only 1 set gets used at a time.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote