Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 08:16   #1

Boat: Lock Crowther 150
Like to Use Mac for Navigation - Where to Start ?

HI,
I have been using my Northstar 6000 chart-plotter for navigation and route planning. I would like to start using my Mac for these purposes, but not exactly sure where to start? I guess would basically need some type of software (MacENC, GPS NavX, etc) and new GPS antennae to hook to the MAC. Is there one software that people prefer over another? How do you acquire charts? We plan on possibly circumnavigating, so we will eventually need charts for a good portion of the world, is there an economical way to acquire such a quantity of charts?
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 08:27   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Like to use MAC for navigation, where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
HI,
I have been using my Northstar 6000 chart-plotter for navigation and route planning. I would like to start using my Mac for these purposes, but not exactly sure where to start? I guess would basically need some type of software (MacENC, GPS NavX, etc) and new GPS antennae to hook to the MAC. Is there one software that people prefer over another? How do you acquire charts? We plan on possibly circumnavigating, so we will eventually need charts for a good portion of the world, is there an economical way to acquire such a quantity of charts?

I have MacGPS Pro but have not used it yet. I would like to use it in addition to my Chart Plotter, which isn't nearly as big as yours.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 18:12   #3

Re: Like to Use Mac for Navigation - Where to Start ?

Try OpenCPN and view the extensive Forum pages related to this application on this site:

<http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/>
dweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 21:12   #4

Re: Like to Use Mac for Navigation - Where to Start ?

start by installing Parallels and running everything on a Windows VM

j/k...I too run a Macbook and do run Parallels, however the recent deployment of OpenCPN to Mac has been working fine. Having a bit of trouble with the instruments, but thats something some free time on a Saturday (yet to have that) cant solve.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation