Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2008, 08:59   #1

Question Laptop & outdoor marine monitor ?

Hello,
I have Maxsea v12 and laptop on chart table, i need to use software in cockpit with waterproof display, do you have any experience with this and advice to give me ?
I see the Panasonic CF07 or CF08 and IXSUNS MWD with wireless feature.
Panasonic Toughbooks - CF-08
and
Mobile Wireless Waterproof Marine Display / Dive Computer MWD-X87

Help appreciated, thanks you
Raceler_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 11:44   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Let me see if I’m tracking, you want to run navigation software on your Maxsea 12v computer and have it slaved to a laptop in the cockpit for whatever reason (a good one being because you don’t wish to buy a multi-thousand dollar dedicated chartplotter)?

It’s been done, so no need to totally reinvent the wheel. the chief technical problem is daylight display of maps.

Briefly, this is a way (as detailed in Dec 05 Blue Water Sailing).

You’ll need a waterproof display, as you pointed out. Preferably one with an Ingress Protection (IP) rating of 67 (6-total protection against dust; 7- protection against the effects of immersion between 15cm and 1m). An less expensive alternative is to buy a computer with a rating less than IP67 and put it in a case. Otterbox has a something that will fit the bill for about 300 buck list price. The laptop needs to be same size as a Fujitsu Stylistic Tablet PC. Or better yet, just get one of those. Now you don’t have to buy the much more expensive toughbook.

You will probably want to run some power out to the laptop so get a used power supply on ebay.

Mount the whole deal to the binnacle with a RAM mount. Bonus you now store the whole thing in the cabin or car so it won’t get stolen by being out in the open.

Ok, cockpit -- check

You have the Maxsea so I won’t cover that. Pick your software. I personally think you will want something that will allow you change the color options so you can monkey around with getting a good contrast in sunlight. But if you have a bimini, it shouldn’t be too bad.

Computer – check

Now you need to slave the laptop to the desktop. VNC is freeware that will do the trick. Install a client for the table and server for the desktop.

That should get you there, minus the part about putting in IP addresses.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 00:21   #3

Thanks you Maren with strong details you give me
I dont know this Fujitsu tablet PC, i am impressed by the low price.
I dont see on technical sheet the time autonomy battery.
I have a friend that use the Panasonic CF 07, i already tried this type tablet, screen was not readable when sailing and using software was very slow , this tablet Fujitsu seem's same technology very low cost, low readable but different IP protected only, i dont believe the result will be nice at sea...
I need strong sunlight readable with quality screen for my old eyes

Did you try Fujitsu at sea or any feedback from sailors ?

See you
Old 20-04-2008, 05:15   #4

Might this be less expensive and redundant option?

Why not just bite the bullet and buy a dedicated plotter for the helm. The Garmin 4208 is waterproof and in addition can accept a video feed from the laptop if you choose to run the wires. I think it's far less expensive than either a display only or a Toughbook.

Actually I can run laptop software for planning and then just move waypoints to the Garmin for navigation using the SD data card. But in fact I've found it just as easy to plan the route for the day on the plotter and save the steps of down/upload.

The Garmin 4208 with a GPS head is street priced around $1800 with built in USA coastal charts. You can spend more for a larger display and touch but IMHO the 4208 gives a lot of bang for the buck in a compact package.

Raymarine has similar offerings.
feistycapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 10:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceler_One View Post
I have a friend that use the Panasonic CF 07,
The oldest one I have seen is a CF-73. There is a more current model, but I haven't looked it up on the web. But if you were actually looking at a CF-07 that would seem to be pretty anchient.

Quote:
I need strong sunlight readable with quality screen for my old eyes
That will mean either an OLED screen or a transreflective screen. Or a small screen in the case of the Garmin 4208 mentioned. Break out the checkbook.

Quote:
Did you try Fujitsu at sea or any feedback from sailors ?
No to both. I am, however, (early) in the process of setting up an OLPC XO.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 20-04-2008, 12:28   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
There are Chart Plotters such as the Standard Horizon models that are a fraction of the cost of a remote monitor and not really any wires to run since you probably already have power at the helm. So why go through the expense and not to mention the power needed to run that kind of system?

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 13:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
You will probably want to run some power out to the laptop so get a used power supply on ebay.

Is this what you meant?

Maren

Old 21-04-2008, 00:12   #8

The Garmin 4208 is only screen VGA 8 inch, it is not enough for readable quality i can see before, it is very small picture.
I have X-Yacht X43, i have actually plotter Raymarine C120 installed at helm, this screen was not very readable when sun is direct to display, it look like very dark picture…but this material is very expansive and limited with possibilities, i want to change it.
The second thing is i cant move anywhere on boat, i always need go under the helm to check my navigation, i am bored about this.
The third thing is i cant see the weather files and mail, with Raymarine or Garmin it is not possible to do all i can work on my laptop.
It is the raison why today, i am looking for new complete solution like computer installed on chart table with all protections, and got the new wireless display 12 inch for quality picture, the price is today lower against quality screen like on the market Raymarine, Garmin, Simrad 12 inch, it depend what we compare exactly.
At this time, we can see the market go up changing to evolutive solutions wireless like Panasonic 10 Inch, Ixsuns 12 inch, Bootronik 12 inch with quality picture, very attractive solutions in my oppinion.
I like to think about possibilities to use software with nice map picture, wheather forecast, racing way plan, mail, web anywere on boat, i can move at helm place, in my cabin, on deck when i do race, it is i think completely different way to navigate like before than we use the electronic help up today.
I think in the futur, we will see this difference on navigation at sea.
The computer offer solution on the market with low expansive laptop, very easy to find laptop under 500 USD on chart table and wireless display seem’s in my eyes very good futur compromise, what is your oppinion ?
Laptop 500 USD + wireless screen 2 000 / 3 000 USD + software 100/500 USD = Complete solution start about 2 600 USD to 4 000 USD with large using application + quality screen + mobile, we got better solution at lower or same price than dedicated electronic marine for outdoor using up we can see up today.