Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 14:04   #1

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA
Key West to Tortugas Best Route N or S

Tomorrow will be my first trip from Key West to Garden Key, and I can't see any real benefit going the north route or the south route. Anyone have a preference? My draft is 3.5 ft.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 16:33   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Key West to Tortugas Best Route N or S

I have always gone on the North side, but that was with a South wind and the ride was much smoother, if you look on the chart I believe it will show the Ferry route and if memory serves we were close to that.
North wind, you may be better off on the South side?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 16:35   #3

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

What do you mean, the "N or S" route?

Are you talking about the best way to approach Garden Key, if you're transiting from Key West?

If that's what you're asking, then approaching from the East, you want to go to the North of Garden Key. The channel to enter the anchorage off of Garden Key is from the north side. If you approach from the south, you'll have to go all the way around Bird Key and THEN enter the channel on the north side. No other way to get in there.

Here are links to a series of blog posts I wrote regarding our recent visit in December. Enjoy!

The Transit from Key West

Dry Tortugas: Check-in Procedures

Dry Tortugas: Snorkeling and Exploring

Dry Tortugas: Ft. Jefferson

Dry Tortugas: Our Own Little Lampedusa

Marquesas Key: Exploring the Dry Foot Policy

Please feel free to PM me, or respond in this thread if you need more info! Happy to help! We loved our trip out to the Dry Tortugas!

Cheers,
O

--------------------
Follow the adventure at Live Free or Die Sailing...The not-so secret missions of S/V Octopussy
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 16:47   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Depends on the weather. When weather doesn't dictate, I go south. I hate the long nw channel.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 17:05   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
What do you mean, the "N or S" route?

Are you talking about the best way to approach Garden Key, if you're transiting from Key West?

If that's what you're asking, then approaching from the East, you want to go to the North of Garden Key. The channel to enter the anchorage off of Garden Key is from the north side. If you approach from the south, you'll have to go all the way around Bird Key and THEN enter the channel on the north side. No other way to get in there.

Here are links to a series of blog posts I wrote regarding our recent visit in December. Enjoy!

The Transit from Key West

Dry Tortugas: Check-in Procedures

Dry Tortugas: Snorkeling and Exploring

Dry Tortugas: Ft. Jefferson

Dry Tortugas: Our Own Little Lampedusa

Marquesas Key: Exploring the Dry Foot Policy

Please feel free to PM me, or respond in this thread if you need more info! Happy to help! We loved our trip out to the Dry Tortugas!

Cheers,
O

--------------------
Follow the adventure at Live Free or Die Sailing...The not-so secret missions of S/V Octopussy
Too bad you missed the Windjammer....slack tide provides a fantastic snorkel experience. Also, the west side of Loggerhead is 'Little Africa', some of the best snorkeling there is. Pristine coral reefs.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 17:21   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440

We visited the Dry Tortugas on an overnight sail from Port Charlotte in September 2015 and are going again in two weeks. We spent a great week there diving and fishing etc in allowed areas, observing the Coast Guard activities with their uninvited "visitors" at night and found the Park Rangers' cooperation and assistance first class. We needed a starter motor from Key West and the gift shop manager at that time Neil (sp?) was most helpful in facilitating the float plane delivering the starter to the landing as well as satphone communication to obtain the part. They don't need to do this but their cooperation allowed us to have a great time there and return north on schedule. Looking forward to seeing the same folks this time.
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 17:28   #7

Boat: Lagoon 440

Forgot to mention - great posts and pics from Octopussy. Thanks!!
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 18:01   #8

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

I know! We tried to snorkel the Windjammer, but the current was too strong. We missed "Little Africa" that day as well. BUT, we still had a terrific time. Beautiful place! We'd go back if we can!
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 20:09   #9

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Last time I went three years ago I had a different experience than some of the posters here. I left Marquesas from the North and basically went in what I will call the North entrance way above the DTs, in part due to heavy thunderstorms over the fort. It was longer but more comfortable. When I left I was anchored just off the North Coal docks due to a light West wind and I went out using what I call the middle entrance. There is also a marked entrance to the South I never used. As others have said going on the lee side of the Quicksands results in an easier seaway and is safer in my opinion.

While the rangers will post the daily weather report if you request it the one time I did it I was invited into an air conditioned office while the ranger brought up weather web sites on the internet and then printed it out and posted it. As a rule they are often a little behind in this since most folks are not really interested. If the truth be known I got what I thought was better up to date weather information from the capt of the fast boat. While they seem to alternate between capts daily both I spoke to were very friendly and happy to provide information about the weather on their daily crossing.

The fastboat has a daily all you can eat buffet (was $US7 when I was there) in an air conditioned dining room on the boat. You can also buy sodas and ice (expensive at $US7 when I was there). The capt will also bring you stuff from Key West the next day for a price. The fastboat had fresh water solar heated showers using recirculated showers free to use. Same for the electric heads on the boat. The composting heads run by the park service were closed while the fast boat was there.

Fishing was allowed with in one mile of the fort and quite good, but there may have been some restrictions to the East where the shark nursery is located. There is a small dock where you can dock your inflatable, but docking big boats there is prohibited. There was a ball off Loggerhead where you can tie up but you can't use the dock there and you are not suppose to anchor; in fact you are only suppose to anchor with in one mile of the fort.

There were lots of commercial fishing boats that arrived around dusk, or later, and left at dawn or just before. They often would try and sell/trade fish or shrimp for money or alcohol; something the rangers say is prohibited. As a rule the commercial boats anchored closer to the Brick wreck.

There are often campers using the camp grounds and I was involved in several pot luck meals where I supplied mutton snapper I had caught and the girls cooked it and side dishes as well. Here are some pix. I was lucky to be there when google earth had their street view camera there and my boat was the only one anchored close enough to be in the street view pix. Definitely a fun trip.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 20:16   #10

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

A few pix of the boats the Cubans abandoned in the Marquesas.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 22:49   #11

Boat: Wharram Pahi 42

Looks like winds NE around 15 for today and Friday, so I would take the south route. Should be a great sail. Enjoy!
Robertkwfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:29   #12

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertkwfl View Post
Looks like winds NE around 15 for today and Friday, so I would take the south route. Should be a great sail. Enjoy!
If your still there in a few days. We will see you out there.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 18:19   #13

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

We went the south route from Key West leaving X'mas day 2016, having great 20 kt winds out of the east. We did stop for an overnight at Boca Grande. And yes, a zillion crab pots to dodge. Once at the Dry Tortugas, we went around to the north entrance, not sure about the southeast entrance. But since the ferry uses that route, & the charts look okay for a 6ft draft, I think we'll try going in from the SE next time.
jmadenwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:19   #14

Thanks everyone. We are leaving the Wisteria anchorage this morning. See you there tonight.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:20   #15

Look for cruiser - Maggie Mae

Tags
key west, route