Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 08:16   #46

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Re: iPad4 - iNavX v Navionics Pros & Cons

I'm betting that the fix is much more difficult than a bit a coding. They probably need to re-write a lot of the program to repair the simulation.

If it were me, I would rely on a handheld GPS and paper charts for when the boat systems go down. I would keep the GPS, extra batteries, and the sat phone in a safe waterproof spot.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 17:19   #47

This is where you are more than likely to find GPSNavX, he's a moderator there.......take note of the thread "Norfolk Island" and the lack of response...

iNavX (Topic list) - MacSailing.net - Powered by FusionBB

On my back up iPad I run iNavX, iSailor and Plan2Nav and without a doubt my preference is iSailor then iNavX and way down in third is Plan2Nav, actually P2N is so far down the list I never use it, it's crap..........
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 17:58   #48

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I'm betting that the fix is much more difficult than a bit a coding. They probably need to re-write a lot of the program to repair the simulation.

If it were me, I would rely on a handheld GPS and paper charts for when the boat systems go down. I would keep the GPS, extra batteries, and the sat phone in a safe waterproof spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
This is where you are more than likely to find GPSNavX, he's a moderator there.......take note of the thread "Norfolk Island" and the lack of response...

iNavX (Topic list) - MacSailing.net - Powered by FusionBB

On my back up iPad I run iNavX, iSailor and Plan2Nav and without a doubt my preference is iSailor then iNavX and way down in third is Plan2Nav, actually P2N is so far down the list I never use it, it's crap..........
I do use paper charts as well while on board. While at home I use the iPad for passage planning and looking at likely stop off points during passages and this need to constantly have to scroll right around the world in the wrong direction is a real PITA.

As has been mentioned previously even though the route line goes around the world in the wrong direction the distance is correct so hopefully it is just a coding issue. Putting it another way I am not aware of any other chart plotter that has this issue even when they are also using the Navionics chartsets.

Thanks Islanghopper as I was mot familiar with this forum. It seems that no response from iNavx and GPSNavX regarding this issue is how they deal with anyone who raises it. It is also interesting that when you look at the Reviews tab in the App Store there is only a very small number of reviews shown but I'm glad to see that my review which addresses the dateline issue along with positive feedback about the app in general is there. Surely they can give an official response as this issue affects all users cruising in this region and what their action plan is to fix it as they cannot just continue to put their heads in the sand and ignore everyone who raises the problem.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 19:39   #49

Boat: Bavaria 38
Send a message via Skype™ to Vlad70

Sail with iNavx more than 10000nm, from UK to Turkish, cross Atlantic, Carribean, Panama Canal - have also another navigation software and can compare

For this moment - iNavx don't have equivalent !

For me really need support ActiveCaptain or other POI/marinas database - hope they do this!
Vlad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:01   #50

Boat: Bavaria 38
Send a message via Skype™ to Vlad70

Could You download my waipoints to You program?
Could You open weather in a middle of Caribbean Sea? Or anywhere without internet?
Could You connect AIS? Or any other instruments?
Could You save You investition - and open You already owned region in new Navionics boating

And many other question
We use it just for POI search, and after Huge amount errors (some idiots delete marinas which I input, or change information) - we start use Active Captain, they moderate information, Navionics - No
Vlad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 08:24   #51

Boat: Bowman 46 Yawl
Send a message via Yahoo to scurrvydog Send a message via Skype™ to scurrvydog
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
We use Navionics app both for course planning and for navigation all through the Bahamas and Caribbean. It's been great! Whenever I find anything that could be made more clear on the map I just use the Community Edits feature to add to the map. Love that because I can make my own notes.
I use it extensively for both planning and on board during deliveries. Sonar charts are now covering the Bahamas...this is Northwest Channel near Chub Cay. Granted, this is a relatively easy passage, but I breathe (and sleep) so much better with this level of detail at hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1964834358.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	77620  
scurrvydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 01:46   #52

Just thought that I would post an update on the total lack of response from iNavx about the Dateline issue that I have discussed in previous posts above.

I have now sent 3 emails to iNavx over the past 12 months and also posted this issue on the Review tab about this app on the Apple App Store.

Their total lack of response & not even an acknowledgement of receipt of my feedback is very poor customer service and certainly leaves a lot to be desired. For gods sake they are obviously aware of the existence of this issue so if they do not have any intention of fixing it then why the hell won't they tell me and a whole lot of other users of their product who have also raised it only to be totally ignored like me.

Absolute BS!
Old 24-03-2014, 04:01   #53
cruiser

I use iNavX constantly, have received excellent, personal customer service and recommend this iNavX highly for any recreational boat.

I'm a very happy customer, and am responsible, so far, for two other purchases.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 04:42   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I use iNavX constantly, have received excellent, personal customer service and recommend this iNavX highly for any recreational boat.

I'm a very happy customer, and am responsible, so far, for two other purchases.
Apart from the problem with the Dateline issue I like the app as well. I assume that you are not affected by this issue in the area that you sail but it is a real PITA for me as I do a lot of passage making in this region.

Here is a screenshot of the track to a waypoint that is over the dateline and you will see that when it hits the dateline it then backtracks back past my vessel and then it goes right around the world in the wrong direction to arrive at the destination waypoint on the other side of the dateline.

I'm sure that you would agree this is not really acceptable if you were doing a lot of sailing in this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	78029  
Old 24-03-2014, 05:06   #55

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you use Navionics in the Bahamas when u can use Garmin u are foolish.
Old 24-03-2014, 05:09   #56
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Apart from the problem with the Dateline issue I like the app as well. I assume that you are not affected by this issue in the area that you sail but it is a real PITA for me as I do a lot of passage making in this region.

Here is a screenshot of the track to a waypoint that is over the dateline and you will see that when it hits the dateline it then backtracks back past my vessel and then it goes right around the world in the wrong direction to arrive at the destination waypoint on the other side of the dateline.

I'm sure that you would agree this is not really acceptable if you were doing a lot of sailing in this area.
So, what happens if you stubbornly sail straight on instead of turning around? Does it recalculate after you cross the dateline to show the correct heading again?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 05:26   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So, what happens if you stubbornly sail straight on instead of turning around? Does it recalculate after you cross the dateline to show the correct heading again?

I assume it would but because of this issue I don't use iNavx in this region and use the onboard Raymarine plotter instead. The other issue this problem causes as well is that if you want to look at the chart for Fiji you can only look at the island on one side of the dateline then if you want to look on the other side you have to scroll the chart right around the world to look at the chart for the other side which is very tedious.
Old 24-03-2014, 06:17   #58
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
I assume it would but because of this issue I don't use iNavx in this region and use the onboard Raymarine plotter instead. The other issue this problem causes as well is that if you want to look at the chart for Fiji you can only look at the island on one side of the dateline then if you want to look on the other side you have to scroll the chart right around the world to look at the chart for the other side which is very tedious.
This is a common problem. Many plotters have a setting to move this split line into the Atlantic for that reason. You're sure such a setting is not available in the Settings App?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 11:07   #59
cruiser

If you use an app that doesn't do what you want it to, the problem isn't with the app.

Your resurrection of this thread and your constant repetition support this conclusion.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 16:01   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
If you use an app that doesn't do what you want it to, the problem isn't with the app.

Your resurrection of this thread and your constant repetition support this conclusion.

I really don't know what your problem is and why you keep making negative comments about me & this issue which affects EVERYONE who uses this app in this region. It obviously doesn't affect you so I don't know why you bother to read this thread at all as you have nothing constructive to offer.

Tags
iNavX, navionics