Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 16:45   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
I Don't Mean to Sound Uncharitable, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
All without the "benefit" of amphetamines as used by the Army Air Force and I believe the separate Air force back in a time. It can be done, but not without eventual high cost -just like multi-day sail races without enough crew.

Years ago as in the 80's and 90's if the mission was critical enough we were given pills to keep us awake to fly the mission and another pill upon returning to get us to sleep.
As early as the mid 90's that was abandoned after studies determined that while you were awake, you were not alert, and taking a sleeping pill makes you unconscious, but it is not restful sleep.

It was the German Army in WWII that ran on speed, literally. Some interesting studies were done on that to, and one of the effects of long term speed usage was you lost your humanity so to speak, meaning you didn't care what happened to the other guy, nor what you were doing to them.
In WWII the US experimented with it, went so far as to give speed to units in the field, and the change in the way they fought etc was huge.

I too went sleep deprived during training, but the Military is well aware of how bad that is for operations and is done in training as another way to beat you down so to speak, to see if you really, really want to do what your being trained for, cause if your not really dedicated, they had just as soon you quit early before a lot of time and money is wasted on you.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 21:23   #122

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: I Don't Mean to Sound Uncharitable, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Years ago as in the 80's and 90's if the mission was critical enough we were given pills to keep us awake to fly the mission and another pill upon returning to get us to sleep.
As early as the mid 90's that was abandoned after studies determined that while you were awake, you were not alert, and taking a sleeping pill makes you unconscious, but it is not restful sleep.

It was the German Army in WWII that ran on speed, literally. Some interesting studies were done on that to, and one of the effects of long term speed usage was you lost your humanity so to speak, meaning you didn't care what happened to the other guy, nor what you were doing to them.
In WWII the US experimented with it, went so far as to give speed to units in the field, and the change in the way they fought etc was huge.

I too went sleep deprived during training, but the Military is well aware of how bad that is for operations and is done in training as another way to beat you down so to speak, to see if you really, really want to do what your being trained for, cause if your not really dedicated, they had just as soon you quit early before a lot of time and money is wasted on you.
I guess I was not too important. Just a grunt -straight leg infantry- and I have no memory of pills being "given" to stay awake, but fear of death worked fairly well if we got some sleep every once in a while.