Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2017, 08:17   #1

Boat: Lagoon, 52
Heading to the Northeast this Summer Need Advice

Hi everyone,

We plan to move our catamaran, Summer Kai, up to the Northeast (from Ft. Lauderdale) this summer. She is a Lagoon 52 and is 52' with a 29' beam and 5 foot draft (oh, and air draft is about 100 feet). I'm looking for advice on marinas where we could fit from Long Island up to Marblehead. We will be living on the boat, sailing and also doing some road trips to explore New England. After summer is over, we're taking the kids out of school and then heading for Panama, so this is the beginning of our great adventure! Any advice on Marinas that you think could handle her would be great. (We are also using Active Captain of course but I find multiple sources of data much more valuable).

Thank-you!

Christian
s/v Summer Kai.
LagunaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 09:58   #2

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Re: Heading to the Northeast this Summer Need Advice

Hello Christian,

Fairhaven Shipyard comes to mind, up in Buzzards bay. Inside the New Bedford Hurricane
Barrier. Do not let the large commercial fishing fleetin the area put you off. This is within
10 miles of Woods Hole, Cape Cod, Marthas Vineyard, Elizabethian Islands, Cuttyhunk etc.
...and they have a very big time travel lift (300-400 tons?) and thinking wide enough
for for cat just in case.
Closer to my home waters in western LIS, not marinas but Manhasset bay has
good water, free moorings for few days that have plenty of room around and all services.
more info if interest.
Best,
Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 11:37   #3

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaRed View Post
Hi everyone,

We plan to move our catamaran, Summer Kai, up to the Northeast (from Ft. Lauderdale) this summer. She is a Lagoon 52 and is 52' with a 29' beam and 5 foot draft (oh, and air draft is about 100 feet). I'm looking for advice on marinas where we could fit from Long Island up to Marblehead. We will be living on the boat, sailing and also doing some road trips to explore New England. After summer is over, we're taking the kids out of school and then heading for Panama, so this is the beginning of our great adventure! Any advice on Marinas that you think could handle her would be great. (We are also using Active Captain of course but I find multiple sources of data much more valuable).

Thank-you!

Christian

s/v Summer Kai.

Newport Shipyard in Newport, RI should be able to handle you.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 21:19   #4

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into your suggestions.

Christian.
Old 15-01-2017, 21:21   #5

We've been looking at Newport Shipyard. It seems like that would be a good (but expensive) place to be. Looks like it might be right in the middle of all the action- which is what we are looking for this summer. Thanks for the advice.

Christian.
Old 16-01-2017, 08:01   #6

Come to Montauk, sportsman or the Montauk yacht club. Not cheap but lots of fun!!
Mtkjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:25   #7

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Kingman yacht center in Cataunet is also a great area. Very well protected where I would left my boat without any fear. Mooring balls at about 55$/night (summer 2016 rate) with fast and efficient launch service. Spent a couple days there summer 2016 to get the boat fixed. Only drawback: fairly remote from everything if you do not have a car in hand.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:27   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 schooner

5' draft makes Westport, Massachusetts available. The Tripp yard/marina is a favorite, and Westport is beautiful. Horseneck Beach is one of the best beaches in New England, and within walking distance of the marina, as is the Back Eddy, an excellent restaurant with a great dockside bar. You'll need a car to get any further, though.

Don't miss Provincetown, a great walking town close to the Cape Cod National Seashore.

And, since you've come all this way, why not go the rest of the way Down East to Maine? Cold for swimming north of Cape Cod, but beautiful. At just under 2 days north from the Cape for us at 6 knots, it should be a short hop for you. Acadia National Park on Mt. Desert has real, free transit with buses sponsored by L.L.Bean, gorgeous views, and great walking and hiking, and every provision and service you could want. If you do get that far, give us a shout. We summer on the "Back Side" of Mt. Desert, and will be happy to welcome you and show you around.
rogern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:42   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Cristian,

Call and see if Mystic Seaport can accommodate you if you are touring. I assume it is still worth a look see.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:42   #10

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

LagunaRed,

Newport, RI is great, but a mooring would be far cheaper and give you just as good access.

We Anchor there for a few weeks every year. Kids love it there.

We Anchor in Montauk a lot also.

Most of Long Island sound has great places to go with moorings which may be far better on your wallet.

We keep our 44 foot cat on a mooring when we are not on board.

We anchor out everywhere we go in Long Island Sound From Manhattan, NY out to Nantucket, Ma.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:49   #11

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Here's a list of marinas I see with large cats. Note: not sure if you beam will fit all these.
New England boat works (east passage yacht center) just north of Newport
Noank Shipayard and Seaport marine in Mystic CT area (some of the others in Mystic may work as well)
Harbor one and Saybrook point in Old Saybrook CT
Brewers Pilot point Westbrook CT
Cedar Island Marina Clinton CT
Hyannis Marina on the Cape may be able to as well.
Hinckley yacht services again north of Newport
Not sure but Constitution Marina in Boston may have slips that big as well.
Old 16-01-2017, 09:31   #12

Boat: Meridian 40' Sedan

I was there 3 months last summer (2016). Loved it but I found what they have either slips which are few and moorings are reserved way ahead many times years and passed to generation. And the transit slip prices were as much as $6+ a foot per night if you could get one. All that being said it was sooo worth every cent as I got to live among some of the finest folks I've met in my 40 plus years of boating/cruising.

Best of luck and you are giving your children something they will cherish for life.
Louise Seawright
lsearite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 12:25   #13

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

100' air draft seems rather tall for a 52', did you change the mast?
I have 86' on my 60 footer
the NE has plenty of places to accommodate you, we usually anchor or take a mooring, some are free for a week (Port washington)
Enjoy the NE
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 12:59   #14

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Just west and south of the mouth of Narragansett Bay is Point Judith. East side is commercial and west side of harbor is pleasure. No slips your size but could tie up off fuel dock at day's end. Can walk to Mantunuck Oyster Bar - good stuff. Also if you venture north, up Narragansett Bay, Bristol RI works - either a mooring or tie up at Herreshoff museum dock. Oldest July 4th fireworks in the nation at Bristol.
Down Connecticut coast - west of Cedar Island, could anchor off Madison or Guilford (no slip large enof), but south westerlies make this dicey. After Guilford comes Branford which could accommodate you at an end slip (up the river - 7 ft deep). Further west - I'm unfamiliar with.
Enjoy
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 13:00   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

At your beam I am afraid everything will be expensive, if available. Anchoring or a mooring seems sensible. I guess you know that.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head