Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2012, 15:17   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Getting Out of the Rio Dulce !

The best route to take after leaving Guatemala is to sail north, to the south coast of Cuba and make your easting cruising that south coast. Then check out in Santiago de Cuba and sail to Port Antonio in Jamaica. From there, go S-SE to Santa Martha in Colombia and check in. After that, you can cruise the whole coastline towards Cartagena, where you check out for Colombia but with intermediate points at all the off-shore islands along the coast, plus Sapzurro.

From Sapzurro it is a 2 hour sail to Isla Pinos in Panama where you report to the chief (he will probably come to your boat in his ulu (canoe)) and you can cruise the full length of the San Blas archipelago. Don't forget to clear in at Isla Porvenir at the other end of the San Blas.

As most often, the easy way takes more time but is also 1,000x as memorable as the direct line. There aren't much prettier places in the world than what you get to see in Colombia & Panama.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 17:42   #17

Boat: Manta 40

Personally if I was in your location I would skip Rio Dulce, going direct to Panama. You should have a very comfortable sail. Rio Dulce for me was interesting/different with the attraction of visiting the highlands and Mayan ruins but sitting on the river for a period of time is not my cup of tea.
cameron forsyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 19:01   #18

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The best route to take after leaving Guatemala is to sail north, to the south coast of Cuba and make your easting cruising that south coast. Then check out in Santiago de Cuba and sail to Port Antonio in Jamaica. From there, go S-SE to Santa Martha in Colombia and check in. After that, you can cruise the whole coastline towards Cartagena, where you check out for Colombia but with intermediate points at all the off-shore islands along the coast, plus Sapzurro.

From Sapzurro it is a 2 hour sail to Isla Pinos in Panama where you report to the chief (he will probably come to your boat in his ulu (canoe)) and you can cruise the full length of the San Blas archipelago. Don't forget to clear in at Isla Porvenir at the other end of the San Blas.

As most often, the easy way takes more time but is also 1,000x as memorable as the direct line. There aren't much prettier places in the world than what you get to see in Colombia & Panama.

cheers,
Nick.
Thanks Nick.

Very helpful and corresponds with Alex's (Atoll) thoughts, in our case leaving the Caymans. Head east to Jamaica and then pretty well the same as your comments.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 19:55   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Thanks Nick.

Very helpful and corresponds with Alex's (Atoll) thoughts, in our case leaving the Caymans. Head east to Jamaica and then pretty well the same as your comments.

Vic
With a new to you boat, you get a nice shake-down to Jamaica. After that you can decide what kind of weather to wait for to go down to Santa Martha. I like wind but you can get plenty of that in the area, so be prepared to reef. You can also get big waves. When you pass the north point of Colombia, the waves and wind also make that turn and will be on your stern. We have had plenty wind and waves there but on the stern we prefer that over little to no wind.

Our pictures show us going into Bahia Gairaca @ the 5-bays area. I have heard that Colombia authorities now want you to sail on to Santa Martha to check in first (there is a new marina there now). It's a very short trip back to Bahia Gairaca and it was once of the nicest places we've been so I would take the little up & down to Santa Martha. Say "Hi" for us to Reinaldo who lives there and is kind of the cruisers station The pics show how beautiful that area is.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 21:22   #20

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
With a new to you boat, you get a nice shake-down to Jamaica. After that you can decide what kind of weather to wait for to go down to Santa Martha. I like wind but you can get plenty of that in the area, so be prepared to reef. You can also get big waves. When you pass the north point of Colombia, the waves and wind also make that turn and will be on your stern. We have had plenty wind and waves there but on the stern we prefer that over little to no wind.

Our pictures show us going into Bahia Gairaca @ the 5-bays area. I have heard that Colombia authorities now want you to sail on to Santa Martha to check in first (there is a new marina there now). It's a very short trip back to Bahia Gairaca and it was once of the nicest places we've been so I would take the little up & down to Santa Martha. Say "Hi" for us to Reinaldo who lives there and is kind of the cruisers station The pics show how beautiful that area is.

ciao!
Nick.
Will do, and thanks.

We're a heavy displacement ketch (CT 54) so a bit of wind is a bonus.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 21:30   #21
Marine Service Provider

We arrived in the Rio Dulce 2 days ago and so far have been pleasantly surprised. the kids are happy and made new friends already. We look forward to our stay here and all the interesting g sights and excursions. maybe a bus trip to Mexico etc
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 23:36   #22

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Be sure to check out the hot springs. And there are some spectacular caves up the river if you are into that~~Tor Pinney's Homepage - A Cruising Sailor's Homeport~~~
And if you see a big beautiful Hardin ketch 'Dreamaway' with the Kenworthys aboard tell em Erika from Texas say " hi"! . They are good people.
Have fun,
Ocean Girl

PS
The link may be a bit out dated, I think Suzannas is gone, the farmer may charge you to get onto his land for the hot spring. But the cave info is still right, caves don't move.