Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2013, 12:00   #1

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Galaxy 10.1 Tablet external map/data storage

In order to conserve the limited internal data storage on my Galaxy 10.1 Tablet for navigation and other free/reasonable apps,I have bought Samsung's USB inteface plus a tiny,dongle size 8 GB pendrive from Multilaser with a 5 year GUARANTEE!!

I have changed the path to charts/routes etc. in my OruxMaps pointing to the pendrive.
My Marine Navigator requires presently a fixed internal path so I have created an identical path pointing to the pendrive. Finally,in both cases I have duplicated all relevant files on the pendrive,and deleted all un-necessary files from the internal directories.

In this way,I have access to all my OruxMaps data files from the pendrive and only download the charts etc for MarineNavigator I will use for each individual cruise and delete them from the internal directory after use. I have spoken to the creator of MarineNavigator who promises changes in future version to enable path changes.

Similarly,when OpenCPN finally are ported to Android,I will store ALL charts and other space hungry data on the pendrive.

The bluetooth file transfer also works very well between my laptop as well as my Galaxy SII smartphone.

Tore
Old 02-02-2013, 18:52   #2

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Re: Galaxy 10.1 Tablet external map/data storage

I have since added a 7 port USB hub which can be powered from the mains using the USB to mains plug which comes with the Galaxy 10.1 tab,or, via a neat little plug-in USB cable powered from my PC.

Very handy with a separate keyboard and mouse,avoiding messing up the tablet screen with greasy fingerprints.

I now have simultaneous access to a mini keybord,a bluetooth mouse and two pendrives,one a minimal hub type drive storing only the most necessary charts and info,and the other,a 16GB storing a more comprehensive selection of charts including a library of pre-converted .kap charts for my MarineNavigator which has to be copied over to be used.

Of course I also have wi-fi connection between my PC,tablet and my Galaxy SII smartphone for file transfers.

Through a couple of nifty little apps,I can also receive SMS position reports from SPOT Messenger units via the cellphone network when Internet is not available. Android is a wonderful world!

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130203_004410.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	53963   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130203_004510 (1).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	53964  

Old 04-02-2013, 17:23   #3

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
Re: Galaxy 10.1 Tablet external map/data storage

I use OpenCPN on a laptop, have Navionics charts on both an android phone, and on an android tablet, and on an ipad2, and have g2 charts on the garmin.

Each system is entirely self-contained. With so much redundancy, I don't run paper charts any more.

If you want to be electronic, it's all about redundancy.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage