Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 03:31   #1

Boat: Ovni 385
Fast heading output from Raymarine EV1

Earlier I had a Raymarine 150/400 autopilot. This autopilot had a NMEA183 fast heading output. This provided heading information at a rate of 10* per second. This was connected to my chart plotter (PC with OpenCPN) and this stabilized the radar overlay and ARPA targets on the radar image. Radar is a Lowrance 4G.
After all Raymarine displays were stolen I upgraded to an Evolution autopilot with EV1 heading sensor. This autopilot is excellent, good and stable course keeping. I connected the Seatalkng (NMEA2000) to the radar interface for the heading. Raymarine states that the EV1 provides fast heading info over the Seatalkng. But the radar stabilization is poor. I checked with an Actisense how fast the heading is refreshed on the NMEA2000, this is once in every 1 to 4 seconds. Not good enough as "fast heading output".
I asked Raymarine support (NL) about the update frequency of the heading from the EV1, they say it is fast enough for their radar but refuse to communicate any further. I have no access to the Raymarine USA forum. Could any one ask there about the heading update frequency of the EV1? Any one having similar experiences with the EV1?
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:18   #2

Re: Fast heading output from Raymarine EV1

Just received additional information from Raymarine support (they do communicate!). For the heading they use the regular PGN 127250 and they confirm that the update rate is 10* per second.
I will further verify this.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:38   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Douwe, This is not good news. I was thinking I would update my 23 year old Autohelm ST4000 Wheelpilot and fluxgate (nmea0183) with an Evo1 Wheelpilot and the new heading sensor. Our current B&G 4g radar overlay is slow when turning, but works, sort of. I hope this gets resolved. Don't know how many x's I can rebuild the autopilot control.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:36   #4

Hi Rick,

It seems to me that the fast heading output from the EV-1 really is there, but I haven't seen it yet. Reason to believe it is there is both the confirmation of Raymarine (prev. post) and Actisense that is adapting their NGW-1 for it, see https://actisense.desk.com/customer/...on-to-nmea1-83.
But I still have problems getting the fast heading reliably in the radar. I made some special logging for it in the pi, the heading is getting there with short interruptions and not faster than once a second. I found a bad RTNG 5 way connector, bad this is not all of the problem. I am waiting for some other components now and will test further next week.

Douwe
Old 08-12-2017, 01:43   #5

I did some further analysis on of the NMEA2000 network using Actisense NGT-1 and the Actisense NMEA reader software. My initial conclusions are:
- The Raymarine EV-1 does transmit a fast heading message PGN 127250 every 0.1 second
- This is the only source of the PGN 127250 on the network (according to NGT-1), so there should not be a "multiple source" issue
- The Simrad RI10 only accepts this message now and then, with 1 - 4 seconds interval. Useless as fast heading
- However the Simrad HDS7 shows under networks/source selection 2 sources of heading from the same device (E70096 == EV-1) where the first one is shown as "invalid" and the second one does not function

Attached a picture of the HDS7 screen.
On the screen the device E70096 with device id 0740277 is selected. Simrad considers this source invalid. But this is the device that Actisense NGT-1 shows. Selecting the other device with id 1160678 does not help, it gives no heading and the NGT-1 does not see this device.

My preliminary conclusion is that Simrad does not want to accept a heading from Raymarine.
Is there anybody that can give a hint on how to make this work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171205_125035.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	160252  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:20   #6

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Very interesting. Is there any way to check the formats of nmea2k? It is seen as invalid. Maybe there is a shorter path for connections, because perhaps there is a time delay that is checked or maybe a connection that is bad?
Its all new to me, so I am not much help. Sorry. Great sleuthing. Thanks
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 08:05   #7

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

why don't you get an mpu9255 for $4?

It can easily output 10hz inertial data. In fact it can do 100hz. It's supported by openplotter.

I average the 100hz output to 10hz to reduce noise, and this drives my autopilot.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 02:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
why don't you get an mpu9255 for $4?

It can easily output 10hz inertial data. In fact it can do 100hz. It's supported by openplotter.

I average the 100hz output to 10hz to reduce noise, and this drives my autopilot.
Yes, I looked at that. But it requires some additional packaging and interfacing. But the main reason I don't use it is that I do not want two different sources of heading in my system, they will always be different.

So now I made a little interface program that reads the PGN 127250 from the EV1 on the NMEA2000 network through an Actisense NGT-1 and outputs a HDM NMEA183 message on another port. Works fine. That is actually what an Actisense NGW-1 should do, but doesn't.
Old 17-04-2018, 01:01   #9

The new firmware for the Actisense NGW-1 (still beta version?) does handle the fastheading output (PGN 127250) from the Raymarine EV-1 at 10 Hz. This requires that the NGW-1 is configured for that with the new Actisense configuration program ("Toolkit"). I have tested this setup and am getting a nice 10 Hz heading in as HDM sequence from the NGW-1. Finally!

Tags
head, marine, raymarine