Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 16:31   #1

Delaware / Virginia inland route.

I would like to take my boat from Cape May to Norfolk. The thing is the boat has a low freeboard and Isn't very great in open water. I know the obvious route is through the C&D Canal But going up and down the Delaware and Chesapeake bays are well a bit of a scary thought. I highly doubt it but since the boat only draws 12", Would it be possible to some how take the inland route along the coast. I was hoping maybe I could just wait for high tides for the shallow spots. Or is it completely unpassable now ?
jp.beauchemin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 17:04   #2

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Delaware / Virginia inland route.

Don't even think about it. Take the offshore route in good weather.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 16:50   #3

Thanks thats what I figured. I saw a row of buoys using google satellite but I still had my doubts. I'll just go offshore in good weather and if it turns bad I'll just have to duck into a inlet.
Old 02-11-2016, 17:25   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.beauchemin71 View Post
I would like to take my boat from Cape May to Norfolk. The thing is the boat has a low freeboard and Isn't very great in open water. I know the obvious route is through the C&D Canal But going up and down the Delaware and Chesapeake bays are well a bit of a scary thought. I highly doubt it but since the boat only draws 12", Would it be possible to some how take the inland route along the coast. I was hoping maybe I could just wait for high tides for the shallow spots. Or is it completely unpassable now ?
I disagree. It's been done in boats like that (Sailmaster, "Eastern Shore, Western Wind") and I've done it several times in Stiletto 27. There are some stretches that are impassible, but if you pick the weather windows, none of the jumps are very far. I have a 10-year-old for crew. It was a blast

There are some sections you should probably bypass. Basically, you can stop at Indian River, Ocean City, Chincoteage, and Watchapreague inlet. From there south to Cape Charles you can easily run inside, which is really cool. Draft won't be an issue.

Sail Delmarva: High Speed Realestate--Beach Overruns Metompkin Island Channel

Just search my, blog. The link is below.
Old 03-11-2016, 15:18   #5

Wow thanks thats great info. So if I understand it right from what you said and saw on charts the worst parts are between Chincoteage and Watchapreague inlet. So if I take this section on the outside I should be ok doing the rest inside. I will have to lower a few things on the Assawoman canal. I saw a bridge there thats only has 4 feet of clearance which is just a bit short but I'll be ok.
I love the pictures, I wish I could have done trips like that with my son when he was younger. And I have been to your blog (very cool) Saw part of it when I was looking at the shifting sands blocking a route. I will look at it more when I have time :-)

Tags
route