Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 08:18   #1

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51
Chesapeake Options for Big Cat

Looking at ActiveCaptain, but it is a little hard to check marinas based on size.

I may need a marina for 2016 in the Chesapeake that can handle a big cat:
Length - 51', Beam - 27', Mast - 75', Draft - 5 '

Looking for a cheap slip so away from major population centers I'm thinking.

Ultimately, I'd love to take a slip for the hot months (July-August) and a mooring ball for the rest of the year.

Thanks in advance,
~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 09:18   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Chesapeake Options for Big Cat

Switch 51?

Georgetown Yacht Basin on the Sassafras River, Maryland. This will be the only yacht yard on the Chesapeake that can haul your beam - unless someplace new has just shown up. Both slips and balls AND fresh water. But it's a long way from anything and on the (to many people) wrong side of the Bay Bridge. But an excellent, if pricey, facility. They charge a DIY fee if you want to DIY maintenance.

In the summers I keep my boat (on the hard) at Dennis Point Marina in Drayden Maryland near St. Marys City. Much more reasonable rates than GYB and other places near Annapolis and Solomons and others in Maryland.

You have a whole 'nuther range of choices in Virginia on the lower Bay. I don't know of any, though, that have both docks and moorings in either Md or Va other than GYB.

Your first decision may be whether or where you register your boat if you plan to keep it on the Bay year round. Keep it in Md in the water and "available for use" will put you in peril to register it in Md which is not cheap - $15K excise tax right off the bat. If it's documented Va does not require state registration and you pay no state tax, but you have to contend with local city/county personal property tax, which can be very expensive every year. The Tidewater cities have very low PP tax on boats - they're competing with each other for business. Most other Va localities have PP taxes way too high to consider for an expensive boat, IMHO. There are several good marinas in Tidewater to pick from. None cheap.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 10:34   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

I think Zahniser's in Solomons Island can haul a big cat, although that "big" may or may not include yours. They also have a few mooring balls. Not sure if they lease those for long-term or whether they're held for transients... but it might be worth a check. OTOH, Zahniser's is a primo marina and boatyard, likely not cheap. OTOOH, we've always found our visits well worth it.

-Chris
Old 24-02-2015, 10:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I think Zahniser's in Solomons Island can haul a big cat...
Not the OP's. They can haul smaller one$ and they are not a DIY yard.

Dave
Old 24-02-2015, 10:52   #5

Thanks guys, I will look in to those. Early planning stages for a possible Privilege 51. I will need to keep working for a few more years though, so thinking of the Chesapeake for a few years since it is only 8 hours from our house in Ohio. Just 1 option but need to build out my spreadsheet.

Plan would be to spend a month or so in the Bahamas as well. So not 'full time' MD or VA.

Also, not sure I will need a haul out. Just a slip with power for the hot months. Sounds like we will be moving around anyways.

Thanks
~ Following Cs ~
Old 24-02-2015, 14:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Not the OP's. They can haul smaller one$ and they are not a DIY yard.

Dave

Ah; didn't realize. I know I've seen a "big" cat from time to time in their yard, but I dunno what sizes they were, really. Also didn't know they're not a DIY place. As you might guess, we go for the pool

-Chris
Old 24-02-2015, 14:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
I will need to keep working for a few more years though, so thinking of the Chesapeake for a few years since it is only 8 hours from our house in Ohio.

Could be even closer. Back Creek in Annapolis/Eastport is about 35 minutes from BWI airport! (Assuming a benign traffic day.)

-Chris
Old 24-02-2015, 15:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Could be even closer. Back Creek in Annapolis/Eastport is about 35 minutes from BWI airport! (Assuming a benign traffic day.)

-Chris
BWI is a cheap flight, and usually direct. Just depends, we were kind of planning 1 week on the boat, 3 weeks at work alternating. That could get expensive with flights and travel to/from airport. But, with the heat in the summer, and a slip with power looking close to $800/month, we may end up doing 3 weeks during the spring and 3 weeks during the fall and keep her on a mooring ball.

Still, early stages of planning. The opportunity to buy this vessel is coming about 3 years before my plan, so taking it as a sign to get my arse in gear and figure something out.

Thanks again,

- Ray
~ Following Cs ~
Old 24-02-2015, 16:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
Plan would be to spend a month or so in the Bahamas as well. So not 'full time' MD or VA.
A month or so? Transiting this boat? How do you expect to do that for only a month? What time of year? This will take about 4-6 days each way direct offshore from the Ches Bay just to the northern Bahamas in the best weather windows. Better to dedicate several months, at least, in the winter to avoid tropical weather in the summer and early fall.

Quote:
Also, not sure I will need a haul out.
Well, actually you will need to haul on a periodic basis.

If this is all new to you I'd be happy to share some basic information.

Dave
Old 24-02-2015, 16:15   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

Port Annapolis Marina on Back Creek in Annapolis/Eastport has purchased a wide travelift and is currently in the process of widening one of the lift bays to accommodate big cats.

It's not a cheap place to slip, but it's super convenient given its location and there are a number of private and public mooring balls in close proximity.

Also check Herrington Harbor North/South in Deale for what they can handle. Big marinas with extensive facilities and amenities and less expensive than Annapolis. I would think given their size that they can haul big cats but I'm not sure.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 16:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Port Annapolis Marina on Back Creek in Annapolis/Eastport has purchased a wide travelift and is currently in the process of widening one of the lift bays to accommodate big cats.

It's not a cheap place to slip, but it's super convenient given its location and there are a number of private and public mooring balls in close proximity.

Also check Herrington Harbor North/South in Deale for what they can handle. Big marinas with extensive facilities and amenities and less expensive than Annapolis. I would think given their size that they can haul big cats but I'm not sure.
Yes, Port Annapolis now claims to be able to haul beams up to 26 feet. Big enough for me, but not the OP. But that's new capability that is good to know for others.

Herrington Harbours - nope. Lifting well is only 20'10".

Dave
Old 24-02-2015, 16:34   #12

Quote:
A month or so? Transiting this boat? How do you expect to do that for only a month? What time of year? This will take about 4-6 days each way direct offshore from the Ches Bay just to the northern Bahamas in the best weather windows. Better to dedicate several months, at least, in the winter to avoid tropical weather in the summer and early fall.

Well, actually you will need to haul on a periodic basis.

If this is all new to you I'd be happy to share some basic information.
Dave
Hey Dave, thanks for the interest, I appreciate the help. The person who I'd be buying it from is imparting alot of his knowledge. I am going to spend a few weeks with him on the boat prior to purchase, so we can go over everything.

Yes, the first year, our Bahamas trip will be short for sure. It is either that or not go the first year (late 2016), which is also a possibility. The 'plan' may be to head down with ARC Bahamas Nov 1, stay over Christmas then head to FL in early January. Boat stays in FL 2017 winter, then move back to Chesapeake for hurricane season. Again, all still very much up in the air, and I haven't passed it by my experienced friend. We need the last kid to get a decent scholarship to college, sell our 24 unit apartment building, buy a bigger apartment building, etc etc. Like I said, if we buy this boat, it is 3 years ahead of my 'best case' scenario and I'm just trying to make it work.

The boat is getting hauled out this summer (St Augustine) for maintenance, bottom paint, shaft work, etc. I have not yet seen his maintenance schedule, but it is my understanding the next haul-out won't have to happen until 3 years down the road, when we should be back in FL by then. Again, the owner has it all mapped out, but he is not near his computer this week.

Thanks again, Ray
Old 24-02-2015, 16:43   #13

Roger that, Ray.

3 years is a very long interval for hauling, just for bottom paint, assuming other reasons don't crop up. Many owners can stretch it to 2 years, which I did for a couple cycles. Now I haul every summer and do just one coat of paint vs two. But I always have other reasons to be hauled and that's when I do all my significant maintenance and mods and unstepping the mast as needed. It's cheaper for me to sit on the hard vs at a slip in between winter cruises.

Kudos for planning ahead. I think you'll be fine...

Dave
Old 24-02-2015, 16:59   #14

Quote:
Roger that, Ray.

3 years is a very long interval for hauling, just for bottom paint, assuming other reasons don't crop up. Many owners can stretch it to 2 years, which I did for a couple cycles. Now I haul every summer and do just one coat of paint vs two. But I always have other reasons to be hauled and that's when I do all my significant maintenance and mods and unstepping the mast as needed. It's cheaper for me to sit on the hard vs at a slip in between winter cruises.

Kudos for planning ahead. I think you'll be fine...

Dave
It could very well be sooner, I'm just not sure yet, haven't seen his spreadsheet. Storing for a year on the hard is also an option we are looking at, but if we are buying it we want to be using it. Just a numbers game at this point to see what options we have.

The owner originally kept it in the Chesapeake for the first few years of its life, so he probably can tell me the haul out spots he used.

I'm in my 2nd year of a 5 year plan that is now accelerated to 3 years, so my learning curve is now steeper than I anticipated, less time to learn the critical things. What was planned for late 2018 may be happening early 2016. But I'm taking it as a sign to figure it out and go sooner, even if I have to work mostly full time from the boat for a few more years than originally planned.

Thanks again,
- Ray
Old 25-02-2015, 12:28   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Solomon's Island yachting center has various T heads and slips that can handle big cats. It's a great place. There are also mooring balls over at Zahneisers, as was previously mentioned.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote