Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 11:04   #1

Boat: islandpacket
Chartplotter

I have removed my non working chartplotter and radar. I am ready to buy new. I am really looking at the Garmin 4208 or 4210 with the 4k digital radar. The price difference is not much. The island Packet 31 is not very big. I am used to a smaller screen and I am concerned that at night the screen will be too big and bright. The only thing I want to add to the chart plotter is the radar, GPS and depth so dont need the network splitter. Any thoughts and suggestions? Its alot of money to just have to live with a problem.

Many thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 14:50   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I have Raymarine, so I can't answer your Garmin question, but on the subject of "too bright", you should make sure that what you buy has the ability to reduce the screen illumination at night. That will solve the "too bright" problem.
Old 06-05-2009, 15:40   #3

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I have a Sabre 34 and am considering the 4208....with the same HD radar

I'm thinking the 4210 is a little too big for me..

In case you missed it, you'll need a seperate GPS receiver ( included), probably a navpod to mount the unit at the helm. Will it fit on your current pedestal guard ?
if not you might have to change the guard.
Old 06-05-2009, 15:47   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
got the 4208

with hd radar For me the screen size is fine resolution fantastic. it was easy to set up and so far no problems. I am not happy with Garmin and its choices with how it distributes and licence's its charts. I bought mine with a US plus base chart so its not really an issue for my normal coasting.
The operation has Garmins very intuitive set up and the screen auto dims or you can manually adjust the screen illumination. Like mine but wish garmin would rethink its chart distribution.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 17:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Check out Lowrance's newest offerings. They have introduced digital radar, which uses something like 1/10th the power, and is HD as well. Realy cool stuff - not sure if they are shipping yet. I have the previous generation with included charts, which have proven to be very accurate in our home cruising ground, and go down to the Bahamas and maybe a bit beyond. Not sure if they have an inclusive option like that in the newest lineup.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 18:17   #6

Boat: 1995 Beneteau Oceanis 281
I too, just ordered a chartplotter. After much research, I went with a Lowrance. I am not sure about radar features though (not interested myself), but I believe Garman is propriatary with their "Bluechart" software, where Navionics is univeresal with most others.
My decision was swayed due to the fact that when I was young we had a Sony Betamax at my house.
Waterborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 18:23   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
We have a Garmin Radar/Chartplotter on one of the boats at work. I am happy with it.

Even though some manufacturers say they have a screen for night vision, sometimes it is still too bright. So what I did was buy a clear piece of red acrylic that works great for preserving night vision.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 18:32   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I have a Garmin 4208 and am quite happy with it. It dims sufficiently (after a firmware update a few versions ago) and is a very sturdy piece of gear. Depending on which model you purchase, these Chart Plotters come preloaded with either Coastal US, Inland US or no charts. These are NOT basemaps, they are complete sets, with more features than most people will use. Check them out at a store near you.
In each case, the chart plotter comes with a GPS antenna. No extra purchase is necessary. Since there are three network connectors, you can have radar and XM weather (something you absolutely HAVE to see in action) without having to buy the network expander. You will also have 4 comm ports for NMEA 0183 stuff, like DSC from your VHF, AIS from a special radio, instrument data (including seatalk instruments with Raymarine's PC interface.)

The GMR 18 HD radar is small, doesn't add a lot of weight to your rolling moment, and is quite effective. If you have an external flux gate compass, the Chart plotter will allow you to identify ten radar targets and the unit will track them, and let you know how close they will pass, and when. Slick!

The Garmin equipment is tailored to be installed by Joe Boatowner, with good instructions, every thing you need in the box, and great technical support.

If your VHF radio does not have DSC, I heartily reccommend a Standard Horizon, but if you can wait a few months it could prove very interesting to check out the new Garmin VHF fixed mount. It can connect to the 4208 over NMEA 2000, and it may have some nice little surprises included!

I don't know that at all, but it seems like its time for Garmin to roll out some new excitement!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 18:55   #9

Boat: islandpacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
I have a Garmin 4208 and am quite happy with it.
Do you feel the screen is large enough? Would you do the same again or go larger? Thanks Al

Tags
chartplotter