Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2014, 16:37   #76

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Best Plan for moving through the Caribbean to Panama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svseachange View Post
After hashing out the possibilities, we agree. It is all good. With so many great options it was silly to get hung up in visiting Cuba. Both you and Jedi gently probed until we came around.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
While I liked shanedennis, I don't think I like you. What did you do with him? I have called the police on you.

And when taking advice, keep in mind that I am an unemployed 55yr old dishwasher who has never been on a sailboat and Jedi is a 14yr old girl using his grandmother's computer in her basement. (as an aside, this statement will probably explain a lot to many of the people here).

But enjoy that Colombia thingy anyhow - hope you aren't fond of your bottom paint…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 18:27   #77

Boat: Beneteau 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
While I liked shanedennis, I don't think I like you. What did you do with him? I have called the police on you.

And when taking advice, keep in mind that I am an unemployed 55yr old dishwasher who has never been on a sailboat and Jedi is a 14yr old girl using his grandmother's computer in her basement. (as an aside, this statement will probably explain a lot to many of the people here).

But enjoy that Colombia thingy anyhow - hope you aren't fond of your bottom paint…

Mark
And I am a disabled 79 year old diabetic in a wheelchair. What's your point?

Cartegena has a quite reputation for bottom growth.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 19:04   #78

Just having some fun! Yes, Cartagena is murder on your bottom but the good news is that you can hire guys there to scrape it clean for $20.

And I wasn't joking about Jedi…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 17-02-2014, 19:05   #79
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You think he ate him for supper? It's getting messier here on CF :-s
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 19:17   #80

Mmmm... "long pig". Respectable table fare in some circles.
Old 17-02-2014, 21:03   #81

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Personally we would go for Cuba over Colombia. Yes, geographically Cuba and Colombia will always be there but culturally-politically Cuba will not last too much longer.

We have done them both but would do Cuba again before Colombia. YMMV of course depending on the reasons you travel so only YOU can decide.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 10:10   #82

Indecision might be our problem but we are not sure.

We studied and studied the sailing routes along the north coast of Hispaniola over the last few days and they don't look fun. We just can't embrace that route.

There is not enough information available about the west to east sailing route along the south coast of Hispaniola.

We have all the charts and cruising guides for the eastern Caribbean but the tourist scene would wear us out I think. We are already worn out by the tourist scene in the Bahamas.

If we had done this over, I think we would have taken the Mexican coast. We both love Mexico.

Cuba looks very interesting, but we are going to hold off until the US eases restrictions on travel there. The more we read about it the more certain we would be agitated by the repression and dual economy. And we demand high speed Internet access!!

Columbia looks right up our alley but there are no palatable routes from here. Maybe we can get there from Panama.

Our DHL package arrives on Tuesday, then... we are heading south to Port Antonio, Jamaica.

That's it. Our minds are made up.

No more indecision!
Old 23-02-2014, 10:20   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Indecision might be our problem but we are not sure.

We studied and studied the sailing routes along the north coast of Hispaniola over the last few days and they don't look fun. We just can't embrace that route.

There is not enough information available about the west to east sailing route along the south coast of Hispaniola.

We have all the charts and cruising guides for the eastern Caribbean but the tourist scene would wear us out I think. We are already worn out by the tourist scene in the Bahamas.

If we had done this over, I think we would have taken the Mexican coast. We both love Mexico.

Cuba looks very interesting, but we are going to hold off until the US eases restrictions on travel there. The more we read about it the more certain we would be agitated by the repression and dual economy. And we demand high speed Internet access!!

Columbia looks right up our alley but there are no palatable routes from here. Maybe we can get there from Panama.

Our DHL package arrives on Tuesday, then... we are heading south to Port Antonio, Jamaica.

That's it. Our minds are made up.

No more indecision!
From Port Antonio you can still try, I think you will make it with ease. We are in Colon, Panama, come by for a drink when you end up here
Old 23-02-2014, 10:22   #84

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Yes still early enough in the season to catch a cold front to ride through the remaining Bahamas then a turn through the windward passage with the wind at your back. Should be a sweet ride.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 10:46   #85

If the Bahama scene is bothering you, and you are sure you wouldn't like the EC, then you are really going to be unhappy in Jamaica…

As soon as I can get myself unstuck from the project I am in, we are heading back south and will be hanging around Panama and San Blas. Stop by and say hi when you get here.

Mark

Old 23-02-2014, 11:57   #86

Thanks all. Will report back on Jamaica here. Mark and Jedi, look forward to seeing you in Panama.
Old 13-03-2014, 17:52   #87

We are in Port Antonio, Jamaica after enjoying an almost perfect sail from Georgetown. A brisk northwesterly took us north around Lom Island, moved to the north as we rounded the island then clocked to the northeast then east as we made our way south. Stayed on a port tack, mainly broad reach, for more than 350 miles until the wind petered out and we motored the last 100 miles to Port Antonio.

Thoughts about the sail:
1. Spent a night in the Castle Island anchorage. Does not show on the Explorer charts but does show on the Garmin chartplotter, entrance off by a few hundred meters.
2. Checked out at Matthew Town, Great Inagua. Super efficient customs. DO NOT go into the government dock basin. There is wreck in the entrance that is hard to miss. Anchor out.
3. There is a strong south setting current in the Windward Passage, up to 2 knots is my guesstimate. I would avoid going north through this passage.

We met some cruisers who came via Isle a Vache. Glowing reviews. Also met some Haitian sailors in Great Inagua. Great sailors, hand built good looking boats, rope standing rigging, sculling oar, Pardey style to the extreme. I felt like a pansy in our fibreglass boat.

Port Antonio looks good at first glance. Thanks Jedi!
Old 15-03-2014, 05:13   #88

Question(s): we waited way too long for a package delivery in Georgetown. Is there is safe, reliable place to send a package from the US with mail, some electronic charts and some parts in Panama? Can I rely on Shelter Island Marina to hold the package until we get there? Anything else I need to be aware of (duties etc)?
Old 15-03-2014, 18:05   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Question(s): we waited way too long for a package delivery in Georgetown. Is there is safe, reliable place to send a package from the US with mail, some electronic charts and some parts in Panama? Can I rely on Shelter Island Marina to hold the package until we get there? Anything else I need to be aware of (duties etc)?
I would not use anything other than UPS or Fedex and they do 2-day deliveries. I have heard regular post can work but when we tried it took 6 months.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 16-03-2014, 04:40   #90

Thanks much. We are loving Port Antonio. Nice little marina. The town is not dominated by tourists. Just one small cruise ship a week. Friendly officials. Few hasslers, fun people.

Tags
Caribbean, Panama, rib