Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2009, 08:43   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Bellingham Chart Printers

Has anyone used the 2/3 size portifolios of charts from Bellingham Chart Printers? They seem to be cost (and space) effective - both very important as I'm starting to buy charts for the Pacific.

I have used Imray for Northern Europe, the Med and the Caribbean and those have been good.

We will have Navionics as our electronic charts.

Thanks for you comments and any additional suggestions.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 09:47   #2

Boat: Downeaster 38 Dragonheart
Bellingham Chart Printers

I have used several of the Bellingham Charts. I prefer the full size simple because they are easier for me to read them. I do know several people that have used or are using the 2/3 size and are very please with them.

For easier usage I have typically outlined land masses and the fathom lines.
MamaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 10:51   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Jim.

I've tried the Bellingham black and white 2/3 size. For me, they're fine for planning a trip, but they really are a bit tough to read, especially in poor light. I've done like MamaDragon and outlined with Highlighters, which helps. I prefer standard charts for areas where you really need to be right about where you're going.
Old 20-02-2009, 11:11   #4

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
Jim
purchased charts of east and southern coast of Australia last year from Bellingham as a bacck up to electronic charts.Price was approx 1/3 the price of Aus suppliers and were delivered in 5 days.Charts were good quality and company was exellent to deal with
cheers Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 12:47   #5

The black and white ones are very hard to read. I would take an outdated real chart anyday....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 12:50   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
I agree with Steve. Excellent people to deal with. In fact I was time critical when I ordered the chart kit. Thy wanted to send me a few charts to look at before I ordered the chartbook to make sure tha the 2/3 size charts were acceptable. I had them as Back up and also used the small scale chart to mark our course. They worked fine for that and I also used them b/c I like paper charts better. I think that you need to see one before buying a whole bunch to make sure that they are acceptable to you.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 17:12   #7

How much do 2/3rds and full size charts cost from the Bellingham folks?

Can someone tell me the overall size of a 2/3rds one?

Thanks,
JerryF
Old 20-02-2009, 21:24   #8

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
I used the Belliingham Charts for a trip down and up both sides of Central America. I had them as backups to my electronic charts (why on earth folks would not use electronic charts these days on a laptop, I am not sure--I understand that the military and Coast Guard use them as primary charts). I found that they were good for planning and OK for navigation. The Bellingham folks were very good to work with--were good at getting things to you in difficult places and very thorough and knowledgeable. Some folks found that highlighting some features helped make the charts easier to use--like the land and the 10 fathom line . I think I paid something less than 5 bucks a chart. Would use them again. Would prefer the real thing, but these filled the bill for a lot less.

If you want to risk it, you can sometimes swap charts when meeting cruisers going the other way. It just is not that dependable a process.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 03:51   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Jerry,

You can check them out here: Discounted Nautical Charts, Reproductions, Electronic Charts & Navigational Software | Bellingham Chart Printers
Old 07-01-2016, 05:16   #10

Re: Bellingham Chart Printers

Guys,
Bellingham appear to have gone out of business. There 1 800 number has been turned off and they don't respond to emails. I have an order for charts that was apparently shipped but did not arrive. Attempted follow up has been unsuccessful with them and USPS. The U.S. Postal service courier service is very poor and should be avoided if you want to receive a parcel. Mine is 16 days overdue.

John Elkins
SV Lumiel.
jelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelkins View Post
Guys,
Bellingham appear to have gone out of business. There 1 800 number has been turned off and they don't respond to emails. I have an order for charts that was apparently shipped but did not arrive. Attempted follow up has been unsuccessful with them and USPS. The U.S. Postal service courier service is very poor and should be avoided if you want to receive a parcel. Mine is 16 days overdue.

John Elkins
SV Lumiel.
Are you Canada by any chance? Sometimes it takes a while if so....

Old 07-01-2016, 11:11   #12

Thanks for the note. Charts coming from USA to UK.
UPS delivered other stuff without problem. US Postal struggle with anything like a service and seem incapable.
certainly a caution to others is using courier services. Don't use US Postal.!!!
jelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:18   #13

Yeah, Don't know how good USPS is exiting the country... they have has no control once it leaves USA and I'm not sure they have the ability to track once it's gone. I know if I ship something to Canada, it just disappears for a week or two once outside the US. I would avoid all govt based postal services if shipping countgry to country. many are notoriously bad at that. I get a lot of parcels inside the US and often USPS are quicker than anyone coast to coast for smaller items.

Old 07-01-2016, 18:55   #14

I have been emailing them all week and no answer. Time to call

Unusual as their service has been great in the past.
I have used both 2/3 and full size as both primary and more recently as back up to electronic. I find the full size better for my old eyes

Not as good as a "real" chart but perfectly fine as a backup or secondary source. Printed on heavy paper and not a cheap photocopy

Now only if they would answer me!
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 19:49   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You might try contacting a Chandlery in Bellingham, & ask them if you can purchase the charts in question through the Chandlery. And then, regardless of which way they answer, you could ask them if the company is still in business, & or that you're considering something semi-obscure from the Chart Printers. So that then, perhaps you can get some good POC info via the Chandlery.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, navigation