Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 21:38   #1

Chartering in Bellingham, WA

Does anyone have any insights to any of these Charter Companies?
The Good, Bad & Uglies?

• Bellhaven Charters
• Bellingham Yachts
• NW Explorations
• Par Yacht Charters
San Juan Sailing
San Juan Yachting

Thanks, Gary
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:30   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
San Juan Sailing is a good company, both from the charterer's point of view and the owners (I know the owners of two boats placed with them). Professional, responsive. I can't say anything about the others, I know nothing about them.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:37   #3
learningcurve

Second thumbs up to San Juan Sailing. I sailed through with them years ago. Porfessional and knowlegeable.

-robert
Old 12-06-2006, 07:44   #4

Thanks guys!
Old 16-06-2006, 12:41   #5

Reed,

I am a new member to the forum and a member of the Phildelphia Sailing Club. Our club is chartering 5 boats from San Juan Island Sailing. We will be going in mid-August for 2 weeks up to the San Juan Islands, Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound.

Cannot really report on them until after, but the Club has been setting up charter trips (5-6 local on the Chesapeake, 1-2 "exotic" each year) for its members since the late 70's and I do know they do a lot of research and preparation for each trip.

BobB
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 16:01   #6

Thanks Bob!
Old 24-02-2007, 20:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB
Reed,

I am a new member to the forum and a member of the Phildelphia Sailing Club. Our club is chartering 5 boats from San Juan Island Sailing. We will be going in mid-August for 2 weeks up to the San Juan Islands, Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound.

Cannot really report on them until after, but the Club has been setting up charter trips (5-6 local on the Chesapeake, 1-2 "exotic" each year) for its members since the late 70's and I do know they do a lot of research and preparation for each trip.

BobB
Hi Bob----------I saw your posting on taking 2 weeks and sailing the San Juans, the Gulf Islands, and Desolation Sound; I'm sure if a Charter Co. worked out the iterary, it must be realistic-----------but I'm curious---I've done a lot of boating in these areas---and it seems that to cover all that ground in just 2 weeks is maybe a bit too much ??????-----If a good NW comes up in Geo. Straits, not an unusal occurance,I've found it a good thing to have some backup plans to spend some more time in the Canadian Gulf Islands(assuming you were on the way to Desolation Sound)------they're all incredibly beautiful places----hard not to have a good trip-----NW wind or no -------------Macdiv
macdiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 15:43   #8

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36 - Etude
What Macdiv said about trying to do all that and Desolation, too. I've chartered four times in the area, 1992 to 2004. The last time was San Juan, and the best experience I've ever had. We like the Gulf Islands a bit more than San Juans, but both are great!
I expect you will have a wonderful time. When looking for Orcas, don't look for Orcas. Look for whale-watching boats watching Orcas. We parked in the path of a group of both, and had a ringside seat, with a big bull coming straight at our 28' boat, diving about 50' away. It still takes my breath away.

Regards, Bligh
acesatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 17:50   #9

Orcas

On the suject of Orca-watching in Geo. Str./ San Juans-----------Naturally, the Orca-watching boats are dialed in the best------but, in my time on the water here,I have found that the spit at Point Roberts in August seems to draw the Big Boys (and Girls)--------probably because that's when the Sockeye (and Pinks, if a Pink year) are getting ready to shoot up the River. Not a bad place and time to try to catch a Sockeye or 2, as well----------------Macdiv 1
macdiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:49   #10

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I agree with others of your itinary to "do it all" in BC waters, two weeks isn't realistic unless you are sailing overnight, then it is quite doable; however most boaters don't do overnighters. Just doing the San Quans and Gulf Islands is very realistic however and you will have a great time.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 13:54   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
There can be many dead heads, logs and various other things in the water, even in the middle of the Georgia Straits. I would be quite cautious about sailing there at night.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote