Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2019, 22:30   #1

Batemans Bay to Sydney NSW advice wanted

Hey guys,

I am hoping some Australians will see this post. I very familiar with the waters of Western Australia and the Darwin area, but not so much NSW. However, I find myself in NSW - specifically Batemans Bay which is about 160 NM south of Sydney. I have calculated that it will take about 4 days or so in my 10M yacht to get there.

I am asking for a little advice in relation to which ports or marinas to spend the night as I travel up to Sydney.

Any advice on this coastal passage would really be helpful.
usdivers61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 23:44   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Batemans Bay to Sydney NSW advice wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdivers61 View Post
Hey guys,

I am hoping some Australians will see this post. I very familiar with the waters of Western Australia and the Darwin area, but not so much NSW. However, I find myself in NSW - specifically Batemans Bay which is about 160 NM south of Sydney. I have calculated that it will take about 4 days or so in my 10M yacht to get there.

I am asking for a little advice in relation to which ports or marinas to spend the night as I travel up to Sydney.

Hi, I have done point perp to port hacking in 16 hours motor sailing when no wind to speak of in my 32 ft fisher, a friend did it in 14.5 hours with a good sutherly in a 31 ft yacht so you should manage, in reasonable conditions, in around 30 hours, perhaps a little longer.
If need be you have Kiama, Port Kembla, North Wollongong, Port Hacking, Botany Bay then Sydney Harbour. You have the east Australian current running in a southerly direction that will slow you down, speed varies
Have a good trip, with luck you may pick up a southerly that helps a lot.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 00:04   #3

cheers, thanks for that.
Old 22-06-2019, 18:42   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Overnight stops we like:

Jervis Bay

Port Hacking (Gibbon Beach) mind the bombora on the outside

for you Sydney, for us, Pittwater

If you go on a vigorous S'ly, it will be easiest, nice are 15 kn. westerlies. Have a great sail.

Alan Lucas' book, Cruising the NSW Coast covers the whole coast, with conservative anchoring spots, as well as marinas.

Ann
Old 22-06-2019, 18:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Overnight stops we like:

Jervis Bay

Port Hacking (Gibbon Beach) mind the bombora on the outside

for you Sydney, for us, Pittwater

If you go on a vigorous S'ly, it will be easiest, nice are 15 kn. westerlies. Have a great sail.

Alan Lucas' book, Cruising the NSW Coast covers the whole coast, with conservative anchoring spots, as well as marinas.

Ann

cheers, that is really helpful.
Old 29-06-2019, 03:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdivers61 View Post
Hey guys,

Depending on conditions. Uladulla could be done easily for a first stop. Then into Jervis Bay or on to Greenwell Point to anchor in the Crookhaven River. Be aware of the Crookhaven River bar crossing; no good if outgoing tides with NE wind. I would not look to stop in Port Kembla as it is a commercial harbor, but you can try. Wollongong Harbor has 1 courtesy mooring, or alongside a boat in Belmore Basin. Then Gibbon Beach on one of the courtesy moorings. Sydney Harbour is only a few more hours.
All done in 1 day hops. Done this single handedly a few times.
Cheers Michael
SV Pisces
Innovator33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 04:19   #7

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Batemans Bay to Jervis Bay is 50 nm, JB to Wollongong is 50 nm, Wollongong to Port Hacking is under 30 mn. From here only four hours to Sydney at the most. All very achievable in day hops with early starts (easy as no bars to cross). There are public moorings in all three spots (Jibbon is the correct spelling of the Port Hacking spot, also the bommie outside that needs to be kept clear of).

Log on with Marine Rescue Batemans Bay for the first leg, then JB for the second and Port Kembla for the third. Finally, MR Solander for trip to Sydney Harbour.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney, wanted