Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 17:39   #1

Any Suggestions for a Perfect Sextant ?

After spending almost two decades programming computers and designing systems, I know one thing for sure; electronics fail all the time. So which sextants would you suggest for these three usages :

1. Everyday use
2. Emergency use
3. One to be proud of without caring for the price, something for the grand children and etc.

This question probably came to the posts many times, sorry for the inconvenience in advance and thank you all for your comments.

Fair winds and best regards;
Mehmet
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 17:54   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Any suggestions for a perfect sextant?

My preference would be:

1. Astra IIIb
2. Davis Mk 25
3. Astra IIIb (the Astra's not bad looking and the kids won't know the difference so why spend a couple of grand) I guess you could get something antique looking off e-Bay.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 05:09   #3

Boat: Seal 22, 22 feet LOA
Re: Any suggestions for a perfect sextant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
My preference would be:

1. Astra IIIb
2. Davis Mk 25
3. Astra IIIb (the Astra's not bad looking and the kids won't know the difference so why spend a couple of grand) I guess you could get something antique looking off e-Bay.

Rich

Seems reasonable to me, not too sure about getting one of ebay though. Anyway the grandkids'll only sell it!!
Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 13:01   #4

Boat: Columbia 41
Re: Any Suggestions for a Perfect Sextant ?

I bought a David White sextant on ebay. It was US Navy issue item dated 1945. It cost me about $250 and was in as-new condition in its original wood box. As Pagan suggest, it may have come to me from someone's grandkids. Ebay is a fine source if you know what you are looking for. I would not go with a Davis plastic sextant. Other more up scale sextants are available at ever lower prices since GPS keeps driving the demand downward.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 15:06   #5

Boat: Seal 22, 22 feet LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
I bought a David White sextant on ebay. It was US Navy issue item dated 1945. It cost me about $250 and was in as-new condition in its original wood box. As Pagan suggest, it may have come to me from someone's grandkids. Ebay is a fine source if you know what you are looking for. I would not go with a Davis plastic sextant. Other more up scale sextants are available at ever lower prices since GPS keeps driving the demand downward.
That seems like a very nice sextant as they are a respected make, at a good price. You can get them off ebay but be careful.
Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 15:24   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

When I wrote my suggestions I had no idea that Davis had jacked up the price of their sextants so much. I believe when I got mine, they were less than $100. Since I happen to have one, I'll continue to use it as a backup. For mehmetcan, I would then suggest looking on e-bay. I know that plastic sextants aren't the greatest but for an emergency they should be alright.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 17:25   #7

Boat: Morgan 41 OI

I purchased a 1964 Tamaya on Ebay. It was in excellent condition in original box. Price 350.00 I also purchased new a Davis Plastic life boat sextant fot 60.00. I have found the lifeboat sextant to be acurate but requires more adjusting. For teaching purposes it does the job. BOB
C4 King Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 17:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
After spending almost two decades programming computers and designing systems, I know one thing for sure; electronics fail all the time. So which sextants would you suggest for these three usages :

1. Everyday use
2. Emergency use
3. One to be proud of without caring for the price, something for the grand children and etc.

This question probably came to the posts many times, sorry for the inconvenience in advance and thank you all for your comments.

Fair winds and best regards;
Mehmet
Answers to all three = an original C.Plath that has been checked an cert.

#1 = The above is stout
#2 = The above is stable
#3 = What more can I say. I've got two grandbabies and 3 Plath Sextants

One brand fits all. Just put it in a pelican case and take care of it.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 18:27   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

I have and use the cheapo German stuff. (Freiberger?) It is good.

I used Astras, C. Plaths and Tamayas. All good.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 18:39   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Sextant vs. GPS threads are almost as volatile as gun and anchor threads, but I still need ask... WHY? I have 2 sextants; 1 metal, 1 plastic and both look very nice on the wall at home! Back when I had a bigger license I was required to have some basic celestial ability.... Haven't used a sextant since!

Short of a doomsday scenario, GPS is about as dependable as anything man has built. Between the shipboard systems, handhelds, and even my iPhone, I have plenty redundancy should one go down. IF armageddon comes and I manage to survive, I can still dead recon with a chart and compass if need be.

There is a reason that there is no longer a pony express around "just in case" the bludi internet crashes! I'm all good with keeping the knowledge alive, preserving history, and all that, but for everyday and emergency use??? Naa, I'll go flip a switch!
Old 26-03-2011, 18:59   #11
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Sextant vs. GPS threads are almost as volatile as gun and anchor threads, but I still need ask... WHY? I have 2 sextants; 1 metal, 1 plastic and both look very nice on the wall at home! Back when I had a bigger license I was required to have some basic celestial ability.... Haven't used a sextant since!

Short of a doomsday scenario, GPS is about as dependable as anything man has built. Between the shipboard systems, handhelds, and even my iPhone, I have plenty redundancy should one go down. IF armageddon comes and I manage to survive, I can still dead recon with a chart and compass if need be.

There is a reason that there is no longer a pony express around "just in case" the bludi internet crashes! I'm all good with keeping the knowledge alive, preserving history, and all that, but for everyday and emergency use??? Naa, I'll go flip a switch!
I have to ask WHY would you come into a nice calm thread about sextants and try to stir it up into one of those volatile debate threads you mention?

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 19:17   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No intent to stir whatsoever! The OP's first and second scenarios puzzle me and I was seeking answers... the third I agree with and said so in my post. Nostalgia is great, but If I were going to California, I'd rather use a 747 than I would a connestoga wagon!

Please forgive me, my intent was not to incite!
Old 26-03-2011, 19:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
I have to ask WHY would you come into a nice calm thread about sextants and try to stir it up into one of those volatile debate threads you mention?

-dan
Ya I was thinken the same. But..... never mind, later, goodnight

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 19:40   #14

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Naa, I'll go flip a switch!
Won't do you much good.

- Your batteries are dead.

or

- The lightning strike wiped out your GPS(s)

-Sven
Old 26-03-2011, 20:13   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In ALL of them?
  1. 2 pucks
  2. 1 handheld
  3. 1 old 126 at the nav station
  4. 2 GPS chipped cell phones
  5. The chartplotter
  6. An iPad

That's 8! Eight individual units that would all have to fail at one time! A lot better chance of it being cloudy and knocking the sextant offline! CRAP! I forgot the 2 SPOT locators! That's 10 individual, isolated GPS receivers in ONE boat!

Tags
sextant