Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 09:13   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO 45.2
Good stuff, especially from Swag. I'll be sure to try out the drogue. Sounds cool and simple. I agree that the idea of hanging more windage aloft doesn't excite me. As I mentioned, I hung one bucket over the stern hoping to slow the swing down, but that didn't work. I'll try the rode. (I'm kinda excited to try this simple idea out!)

I particularly like the ideas (and there were more than one) to sell my boat over this one little issue! Thanks, guys. I'll have it on Yachtworld by next week. Of course, when an issue comes up with my new ketch, schooner, whatever (and trust me, ALL boats have some issue or another!), I guess I'll have to sell that and keep doing so until I find 'the perfect boat'!

Oh! Did I tell you about this fountain of youth elixir I found? It really works and...........
nelson.peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:22   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
is called yawing and all sloops do it especially if they have fin keels----the "fixes" are complex and a pita--try a bridle instead of one single line for your anchor---helps ---but ye will still have yawing to a degree...is style of hull/keel you have ......rope rode will also increase yaw-----all chain will decrease yaw.....gooood luck.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:53   #18

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Gords' trick is a great one which I use often when the swells are on the beam. Great way to meet people as the dinghys'll be lining up to see what you've done.

In the useless trivia category, I understand that the origin of the anchor spring was to enable a man of war, at anchor, to be able to present a broadside to the shore regardless of wind direction.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:39   #19

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Our boat likes to anchor sail...I don't really mind it so far but we have not anchored yet in an area with any kind of large rollers or chop...of course, those anchored around us might find it less unsettling if we were a bit more stationary when the wind blows...

Thanks for the tips GordMay and Swag - think we will try these before investing or fashioning a riding sail as we have been contemplating...

We have a 32 foot Westerly-Fulmar with a 5' 3" draft - fin keel...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:54   #20

Boat: Cascade
Great stuff !
Thanks guys
Old 03-11-2009, 11:36   #21

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson.peter View Post
... I am not interested in building a steadying sail or dropping a stern lunch hook...
Well ...
Is your rode all chain? If so, can you use a chum?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:46   #22

Boat: a sailing boat
BTW Swagman, if your trick works, and I think it does, I owe you a cold beer!

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 17:15   #23

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Unless I got it wrong a Jenneau 45 is not a multihull!
Really?

I suppose as I have always been told that it's multihulls that veer and sail around anchorages that I just figured it was one, but its a Mono you say.

Personally, I have never had or been on a multi that has noticably had these veering issues as they have wide bridles, but never the less, the stories still get told.
Old 03-11-2009, 18:53   #24

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Good stuff, especially from Swag. I'll be sure to try out the drogue. Sounds cool and simple. I agree that the idea of hanging more windage aloft doesn't excite me. As I mentioned, I hung one bucket over the stern hoping to slow the swing down, but that didn't work. I'll try the rode. (I'm kinda excited to try this simple idea out!)

I particularly like the ideas (and there were more than one) to sell my boat over this one little issue! Thanks, guys. I'll have it on Yachtworld by next week. Of course, when an issue comes up with my new ketch, schooner, whatever (and trust me, ALL boats have some issue or another!), I guess I'll have to sell that and keep doing so until I find 'the perfect boat'!

Oh! Did I tell you about this fountain of youth elixir I found? It really works and...........
Ya gotta learn to take the friendly cracks with a smile on your face around here as if it was coming from a mate sharing a beer with you in a bar...sounds like you were taking my and a couple other jousts at your situation seriously...don't do that...it just gives us something to flap or yaps about and try to be included in a conversation..breaking the ice kind of thing...its a man thing after all..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 19:13   #25

Boat: Swan 56
Anchor spring!!! drogue on a chain!!! That easy!!??

Awwh Man!! The hours I've spent trying to retreive the stern anchor!!!

Thanks Gord / Swagman
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 19:15   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Our drogue came from Plastimo - blue fabric maybe 1 metre long, mouth maybe half that. We clip it on with stainless (captive pin) shackle.
JOHN
Thanks for the idea, John. We will give it a go

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:30   #27

Quote:
... As I mentioned, I hung one bucket over the stern hoping to slow the swing down, but that didn't work.
Hang the bucket/drogue off the BOW, not the stern.

Boat's veer at anchor because the wind effect on the topsides is too far forward, so a riding sail that moves it aft helps the veering. Adding area underwater at the bow has the same effect.

Todd
zydecotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 21:35   #28

Boat: Jeanneau SO 45.2
Barnakiel -- It is probably moot now since we will all be at anchor next summer with either anchor springs, anchor drogues, or both BUT, for the record, we have 3/8" all chain rode snubbed 3' from the windlass to take the load off the windlass. We started with a 40' snubber figuring the stretchy line could take some of the bounce out and make for a smoother ride. But as another poster pointed out, it makes for more sailing! So we shortened the snubber down to a minimum length. That helped...but not much!

And now that someone explains it, it makes sense to add windage aft or 'waterage' forward. I prefer the latter -- reducing windage (not adding it) just makes better sense.
nelson.peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 22:43   #29
Marine Service Provider

Swag is indeed right on the money with this one.

Mine also easily out sails even multis at anchor. One night in 45-50 gusts we got 4.5kts of boat speed while healing at 15 degrees while anchored. Buried the bloody anchor that deep it took nearly an hour to get the bugger back.

After playing around a while with alsorts of not so cunning plans I got a simple PVC type material drogue from the fishing shop, about US$10 converted. Has about a 18" opening at the mouth (I'm a lightish 32fter) and that gets clipped/tied to my anchor rode just enough off the bow it doesn't hurt the in desperate need of new paint paintwork. It sits about 6ft below water level when slack. I also sewed on a couple of small lead sinkers to help keep it down when the boat gets a big silly going on.

Hasn't completely stopped it but has slowed it dramatically and lessened the arc in which we swing. It is a vast improvement.

We swing a lot as our keel is quite a way forward so once it starts the stern seems to be on catch up mode and sort of 'flings' itself around at the end of the arc basically making the topsidse a sail, which just makes it worse.

I think you may want to play around a little with drouge size. To small and it may not work that well in a blow and too big may just mean your rode doesn't move but the boat will, making it a bit uncomfortable. Only guessing a bit there though. I seem to have just happened to get the right size 1st guess.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:08   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
I got a simple PVC type material drogue from the fishing shop, about US$10 converted. Has about a 18" opening at the mouth ( .
Hi GMac, can you describe it a bit better? I don't want to use my main drogue... $300 worth of high tec... $10 has a charming ring to it, but I can't quite understand... you bought the material and mode the drogue or they have something for $10 you converted?

Thanks mate

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor