Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2014, 06:45   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Stainless Fabricator Recommendations for Bent Anchor Roller?

My boat has a bent anchor roller. It came to us that way and wasn’t noticed until the first time deploying the anchor when we discovered the forward roller is seized. The bent portion is the self-launching piece that swivels up from the base plate. The way it is racked has captured the forward roller and is holding it so it won’t rotate. If I could get the roller out, I’d shave 1/16” off each end of it and probably be back in business, but unfortunately someone welded both ends of the forward roller pin to the side plates (not the original factory setup). Beneteau can replace the whole assembly for $600 but I’m sure a stainless fabricator could repair it for far less. I’d appreciate recommendations for a fabricator. I’m willing to ship the piece or have it repaired locally so long as it could be turned around quickly.

4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 07:16   #2

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: Stainless Fabricator Recommendations for Bent Anchor Roller?

I would first try to grind off the weld if it is standing proud from the side plate or grind it down flush (be careful to not grind into the side plate) then drill out the pin that is welded in there. Get some good drills. The junk they sell at HF and the "full drill index for $20" at the big box stores don't do well with stainless. (Fastenall sells a good drill set. Around $100 for the index but I drilled 5 holes through 1/4" stainless and the bit is still sharp.) Once you get the pieces separated you should be able to straighten things up and re assemble. The bolt that you use for the rollers axle should be drilled so you can use a castellated nut.

If that doesn't work or you just don't want to try there are a lot of commercial type machine shops in the Baltimore area. It will cost you a lot less if you take it off the boat and take it to a shop. If you take it to a shop I would consider having it reinforced while you have it in a shop. The cheeks on that look pretty thin to me and it already bent once..... If you need to be pointed towards a shop I would ask these guys in Dundalk who to take it to. http://anchorbayeastmarina.com/ I stayed there for a month last year and had a good experience.

If you haven't read MainSail's blog on how to bed deck hardware you should read that before reinstalling.....
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 12:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If it's possible remove it from the boat. Way way way easier to work on it on a bench/dock/level ground than on the boat. If you are going to drill the pin out, get cobalt drill bits, use cutting oil, and drill at loe speed with lots pressure. Way easier to do in a drill press. If you hire a professional to come to the boat, could make that $600 price from the factory seem cheap.

May be able to straighten it without removing the roller in place if you made up a tool out of flat bar stock steel with a slot cut in it to bend the cheeks back. A big hand maul or sledge hammer also might allow you to do it with brute force but you'd risk damaging the surrounding metal work.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 12:31   #4

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
My boat has a bent anchor roller. It came to us that way and wasn’t noticed until the first time deploying the anchor when we discovered the forward roller is seized. The bent portion is the self-launching piece that swivels up from the base plate.

Get yourself a pair of big adjustable open end wrenches and use them to bend the two side plates back into position so the roller will turn again. Lots of leverage will let you straighten out the bend without removing the fitting from your boat.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 13:00   #5

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

quick fix might be a demo saw (recipricating saw) could trim off the roller edges where it sits and unbind it.
Or a FORD tool, otherwise known as a small sledge hammer, and bash it back straight if that wouldn't bash the mounting, and if so remove it and bash it straight. The metal seems a bit thin if it bent like that, some remove it, bash it straight again, and weld in a bit of reinforcement?
Looks like welding the pin was a previous quick fix!
Old 22-06-2014, 16:14   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Remove the bent part and take it to any shop with a hydraulic press--doesn't have to be a stainless fabricator.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 16:19   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

It's quite easy to remove the stemhead fitting. Take it off and the fix will be easy. My question is how did it get bent?
Old 23-06-2014, 03:13   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Thanks for the suggestions all. I'm going to take the fitting off and see if I can get the roller free by trying to bend it back straight with a long bar. I may ultimately have the part replicated in heavier gauge stainless. That would also allow me to make some minor modifications that would better fit my anchor. I'm still looking for suggestions on a shop that could do that kind of thing?

Oh and I don't know how it bent. The boat came that way from the PO. Unfortunately it wasn't noticed on the survey.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 05:48   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Thanks for the suggestions all. I'm going to take the fitting off and see if I can get the roller free by trying to bend it back straight with a long bar. I may ultimately have the part replicated in heavier gauge stainless. That would also allow me to make some minor modifications that would better fit my anchor. I'm still looking for suggestions on a shop that could do that kind of thing?

Oh and I don't know how it bent. The boat came that way from the PO. Unfortunately it wasn't noticed on the survey.
Any stainless fabricator should be able to build it up with heavier stainless. My B393 came with only one anchor roller. The stemhead fitting was taken off and a fabricator made it into a two roller fitting.
Old 23-06-2014, 06:07   #10

If you need to drill stainless, buy a cheap Cobalt drill set. Cobalt bits go right through stainless. Go slow and use lots of oil. Don't get the bit hot or it will harden the stainless.
RonRock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, fabric, men