Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 04:25   #1

Series Drogue Rode . . . Dyneema ?

Hello. We are going to make a series drogue and I ws curious if I could use dyneema in stead of double braid? My concern is the floating characteristic of the dyneema. There will be 15 lbs of weight on the end but that still might not work. Any thoughts Thanks chris
cvondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:51   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The elastic characteristics of double braid are an important aspect of the system. You may discover that it does not work as well with a line such as Dyneema...at exactly the weong time. There are several articles on the Jordan Series Drogue, including one by Jordan, and it might be worth doing a web seearch on the matter.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:22   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvondo View Post
Hello. We are going to make a series drogue and I ws curious if I could use dyneema in stead of double braid? My concern is the floating characteristic of the dyneema. There will be 15 lbs of weight on the end but that still might not work. Any thoughts Thanks chris
I believe that is accepted practice. The elasticity is provided by the mass at the end causing a curve and the multiple cones.

I did a long post on drogues and sea anchors you might enjoy. It
includes some testing and comparison of drag forces.
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ather-but.html. Links to the JSD information are included at the end.

The authors do not mention floating line, but it might be reasonable to increase the weight by the boyency of the line, which is only a pounds I am sure. That is probably why it is not discussed - it is very minor.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:40   #4

Thanks for the replies! I also had a stilletto and cruised it extensively . What a great boat. Loved it. Thanks again cv
Old 06-06-2010, 10:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvondo View Post
Dyneema works and is fine with a series drogue. Both We and Steve Dashew use Dyneema, and it is suggest by Ace sailmakers (one of the big series drogue makers) because it greatly reduces the stowage weight and size of the rode, and makes retrieval easier.

Don't worry about the floating characteristics, in the 'real world' the cones do in fact stay in the water, even without the chain on the end.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:56   #6

Thanks , any idea where to purchase reasonably priced dyneema line?thanks chris
Old 06-06-2010, 12:11   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Dyneema floats , but just, the actual weight is .9968 or not even 1 % less weight than water so that will not give a problem. Dyneema does hardly stretch so waves have more of an effect on the cleats or wherever you have attached your series drogue to.
Hallo Cvondo, there is no such thing as reasonable priced Dyneema ,the raw material is already in excess of € 65,00 per kilo or $ 150,00 per lbs
once woven in to webbing , lines or other finished products the price ( cost ) almost doubles.
greetings
Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:18   #8

Thank y'all for the help! Thanks chris

Tags
drogue, dyneema, rode