Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 17:35   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Regalvanizing Hi-Test Anchor Chain

200 feet.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:33   #17

Boat: Condor 37

I have had my British chain regalvanized and the cost is much cheaper than new chain. And even though there may be some loss in strength I think it is still better chain than the Chinese stuff we get now. We use 3/8" all chain on a 37' boat, some say overkill but we sleep a bit better at night.
LWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:26   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bavaria 46

The fake CQR´s dont have good balance and are worthless. I replaced mine with a Delta and it held like it would never give up the bite. My CQR copy draged 8 ot of 10 times.
WWW.crewsailing.se

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
There was a tri with a too light CQR that would drag intermittently. Seemed to be no rhyme or reason for it dragging. Someone finally noticed the shank had a significant bend which made bottom penetration laying on one side problematic.
crewtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 13:26   #19
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewtv View Post
The fake CQR´s dont have good balance and are worthless. I replaced mine with a Delta and it held like it would never give up the bite. My CQR copy draged 8 ot of 10 times.
WWW.crewsailing.se
I'm of the opinion that any anchor not made by a brand name manufacturer is suspect. Its probably made to a price = cheapest raw materials. Its probably not a very good copy so even if the original one worked the copy will miss the little nuances the anchor maker spent months honing. If you anchor a lot - its really false economy. I might also question some brand name anchors - why do they not declare the materials from whuch they are made, why the secrecy? Manson and Anchor Right declare what their Boss, Supreme and Excel are made from - what is a Delta, genuine Danforth, Kobra etc made from?

Returning the thread toward chain - I suspect, but do not know, that unbranded chain fits the same pattern, cheap raw materials, suspect welds and possibly questionable galvanising. Sadly the same goes for Chinese chain - reports say some is excellent, some less so. I'm also slightly suspicious of reports on Chinese chain based on samples provided by the supplier. If the material one buys in rode lengths was not supplied from someone I trust and with a proven track record in customer care - I would not buy it. (And some suppliers of Chinese chain have a proven questionable record of customer care.)

J
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 05:41   #20

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
What did it cost ya to regalv chain?
I picked up my chain and anchors that were regalvanized by Azz Galvanizing Services in Bristol, VA yesterday (ex Bristol Galvanizing). A 44 lb Bruce, a 35 lb Delta, a 100 ft length of 5/16 BBB, and several shorter 5/16 chain leads (total weight 246 lb) was $105. The chain was put through their shaker and while a little rougher than new chain no links are stuck and there are no sharp drips. Turn around was two weeks.

Bill Murdoch
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor