Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2014, 01:03   #1

Boat: Outremer 55 Light
Regalvanizing Anchor Chain

Somebody told me that the heat involved in regalvanizing anchor chain changes the chain metal molecular bonding structure and reduces its strength....anybody know anything about this?

Does anybody do several regalvanizings of an anchor chain?
Cruisin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 01:28   #2

Re: Regalvanizing Anchor Chain

Depends on the exact process used but yes for HT and probable not for BBB.
Re-galvanize HT and you have long BBB.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 01:32   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by svadagio View Post
Depends on the exact process used but yes for HT and probable not for BBB.
Re-galvanize HT and you have long BBB.
Bob
Pardon me but I'd be interested in this issue as well but I confess that I associate the above terms with cup sizes.
Can someone be more specific please?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 01:49   #4

HT = high test
BBB = triple B
They are types of chain sold in the US. HT is heat treated to a higher strength than BBB but the re-galvanize temp is close to the temper temp of high test so it lowers the strength. Probable not much. Probable about the strength of BBB.
Sorry I am not familiar with euro chain. Do not know if it matters.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 01:54   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by svadagio View Post
HT = high test
BBB = triple B
They are types of chain sold in the US. HT is heat treated to a higher strength than BBB but the re-galvanize temp is close to the temper temp of high test so it lowers the strength. Probable not much. Probable about the strength of BBB.
Sorry I am not familiar with euro chain. Do not know if it matters.
Bob
Thank you Bob, appreciate your explanation.
They have a chain material here the locals call "black steel" - anyone know what that is exactly? If you galvanize that "black steel" 2 times is it good for anchor chain?
(Sorry Cruisin Cat, no intent to hijack the thread.. )
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 05:26   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe from what I have read that the only chain that loses some of it's strength is G70, the steel in G40/43 and G70 is the same, just the G70 has been heat treated and re-galvanizing will reduce the strength of G70 by about 10% the first time it'd done and no reduction in strength for further re-galvanizing.
Other forms of chain do not lose strength from being re-galvanized, or at least that is what I have read anyway, I'm no metallurgist.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 12:14   #7

Thanks for your comments
My anchor chain is not the high strength version so sounds like it's ok to keep regalvanising it.
Old 13-11-2014, 12:22   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Cruising Cat,

I see you're in the South Pacific. If you're in Oz, on the East Coast, I am aware of galvanizing facilities in Bundaberg, Brisbane, and in Launceston (in Tasmania). The guys from Launceston will pick it up from Hobart and bring it back there when it is done. Bundy and Brissie, you have to transport it to them.

Ann
Old 13-11-2014, 23:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Cruising Cat,

I see you're in the South Pacific. If you're in Oz, on the East Coast, I am aware of galvanizing facilities in Bundaberg, Brisbane, and in Launceston (in Tasmania). The guys from Launceston will pick it up from Hobart and bring it back there when it is done. Bundy and Brissie, you have to transport it to them.

Ann
Thanks for the info Ann.
I've just sailed down to Whangarei NZ from New Cal.
I'm pretty sure there's a galvanizer here who does anchor chain

Barrie
Old 13-11-2014, 23:55   #10

We have had a couple of previous threads on galvanizing. You might want to try the search feature for more information. I checked local (San Francisco bay area) galvanizers, and was surprised at how reasonable it would be, compared to buying new. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 01:03   #11

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Cruising Cat,

Ann
I live in Launceston Ann. Two years ago I enquired about galvanising chain and the only local company in Launceston we're going to sent it to Victoria to galvanise at my cost. That freight cost worked out at more than new chain.

My understanding was that for chain it needed some kind of tumbler machine that stops the links from joining together when it's galvanised.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 02:40   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I live in Launceston Ann. Two years ago I enquired about galvanising chain and the only local company in Launceston we're going to sent it to Victoria to galvanise at my cost. That freight cost worked out at more than new chain.

My understanding was that for chain it needed some kind of tumbler machine that stops the links from joining together when it's galvanised.
Yep, a shaker! Had chained re-galvanised both in Brisbane and in Perth, pretty straightforward.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 18:27   #13

Boat: Allied 39

ping gmac if memory serves me he is the guru on anchor chain and re galvanizing. Our 3/8 BBB is 30 years old and has been regalvanized 5 times. We currently have in excess of 3000++ nights on anchor.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-12-2014, 12:29   #14

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Cruising Cat,

Ann
Ann, would you have the Launceston company? If there is someone new doing this I'd like to see them about doing my old chain.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 13:39   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

RusticCharm,

You're up the Tamar, aren't you? I think they're actually located down below the bridge, on that big bend before you get to Georgetown. No, I'm sorry, I don't have a link for them, but would find out by word of mouth while in Hobart. If you talk to Steve Walker (Walker Sails), I believe he knows.

I just did a google search on "galvanizing in Tasmania" and came up with this: www.valmont.com/valmont/valmont-coatings Don't know if the link will work, but give it a go, I'm sure you can find them.

Ann

Tags
anchor