Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 00:30   #31

Re: New Rocna

For those interested, the UK office has examined the UK-family member and considered that: - the claims lacked unity (forcing the applicant to file two new patent applications in the UK), and - the 1st. invention was not new over WO 92/20569 A1 (Bruce) and GB 1100518 A (Dial). New claims were filed by the inventor two weeks ago.

All is publicaly available.

See: Intellectual Property Office - Patent document and information service (Ipsum)

Also: Espacenet - Bibliographic data

Enjoy, Bas.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 00:46   #32

Btw, the USPTO filed their examination report in August.

See: Public Pair - Public Pair

Again everything is publicly available.

The USPTO rejected the application "as being anticipated by Poiraud (US 7,171,917).

Bas.
Old 02-10-2014, 00:53   #33

Oops I was to fast. It appears that the examiner of the USPTO did identify some patentable subject matter.

Interesting isn´t it how two different patent offices can arrive at different opinions about the same application. Apparently the examiners of the USPTO and UK-office did not crosscheck their results yet. They will in time.

Bas.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:01   #34

This former may have been strange post, as two other replies I wrote are not posted yet.

Basically the examination reports of the UK-office and the USPTO are available online at:

Public Pair - Public Pair
type in the application number and got to the "image file wrapper tab"

Intellectual Property Office - Patent document and information service (Ipsum)
goto "Select case view">""documents"

For general patent searching:
Espacenet - Home page
Old 02-10-2014, 01:19   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the link.

It seems strange to me that they are applying for a patent partially for a shank with a sharpened leading edge. This is a good idea and I am surprised it is not used more, but to try and patent it?

It has been used on anchors for a long time. The original Delta had a shank like this as did the Bruce.

Sometimes I think I should file a patent:
I have combined two hydrogen atoms together with an oxygen model in a special arrangement. The three atoms make an angle; the H-O-H angle is approximately 104.5 degrees. The centre of each hydrogen atom is approximately 0.0957 nm from the centre of the oxygen atom.

I call it "water".

Should make me rich .
The sharpened leading edge of the shank could be a significant improvement to the Spade design, which uses a bulky, hollow, box-section shank, as could be the thinner, sharper tip. It's great to see someone trying to evolve the great Spade design, which in my experience and humble subjective opinion is the best anchor you can buy today. If on top of that, it's cheaper to produce than the very expensive Spade, then this could be a real winner. My only question might be whether it will really work as well, with so much less ballast. It will be very interesting to see.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:26   #36

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Certainly some ideas taken off the Spade and sharpened tips from the SARCA Excel.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:22   #37

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
I had earlier noted that the Rocna Original is protected by a US Design Patent. It is also a NZ registered design, a protection that expires in 2019; see http://www.iponz.govt.nz/app/Extra/I...87371428449419.
Mea culpa!

A forum member complained that the above link does not get to PK Smith's registered design. They were right.

The webserver of the NZ Intellectual Property Office does not produce permalinks.

To see the registered design detail of the Rocna Original:

1. use the above link to get to the NZ IPO, then
2. click on the "Designs" tab and
3. in the "Keyword / Case Number" box type in 405185

Sorry

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna