Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 21:57   #16

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Locking the Rudder While Moored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Our slip is on a channel with lots of boats going by hitting us with their wake. We use a bungee on each side of the wheel to to keep it to center and yet it allows movement when we get smacked.
Why does it need to move? Being locked in place wont hurt it. Says me who also uses bungie, but just questioned my own use of it.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper

Why does it need to move? Being locked in place wont hurt it. Says me who also uses bungie, but just questioned my own use of it.

I have no proof to using bungees- I do it because I think the sideways hits by wakes would be strong enough to do damage. The rudder is good for pressure but the big hits could jam it sideways anyway. With the bungees it allows the wakes to go by it instead of hitting rudder head on. Seems good to me but does anyone who works in a boatyard have any experience?
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 13:27   #18

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

In my berth, the ebb tidal steam comes on the starboard quarter, so I lash the tiller over to port (rudder to starboard), to minimize the angle of attack of water and the pressure on the fenders. Left alone, the rudder would go hard over to port and maximize the pressure.

At anchor or on a mooring, I also lash the tiller, to reduce wear and tear on stops and bearings, but the position depends on the angle between wind and current, to try and reach an acceptable equilibrium.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 17:35   #19

Boat: Yachtcraft, Sloop, 34

15 degrees off is a good idea, thank you.
Gybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 17:44   #20

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Mine has old time spoked wheel, so I use a rope lashing. Locking the rudder on a boat is much the same as locking the control surfaces on a parked airplane--less potential for wear, tear or outright damage.
Old 06-06-2012, 18:06   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I always lash my wheel or tiller at about 15 degrees off center so she will round up if she comes loose.

Not disagreeing, but isn't this alittle paranoid?
Old 06-06-2012, 18:24   #22

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat
Thumbs up Re: Locking the Rudder While Moored

Tieing with a bungi sounds like a good idea. 1. It decreases wear. 2. It lessens impact. I like It! Capt.Fred
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:28   #23

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

There is use, and there is wear. Normal use is the rudder acting out commands from the wheel, buy cables (in my case) rotating past a series of pulleys. The same is also true, if the rudder moves, so does the wheel. So an object of force (wave, boat bump) acted upon the rudder is dissipated in the movement of the cable along the pulleys to the wheel.

If I have my wheel locked, what was normal use, now becomes wear because all the repetitive forces all day long need to go on to somewhere.

I am new to wheel steering, but so far, I leave mine unlocked so the things it normally does, it can normally do.

Keeping the system well lubricated seems the best remedy to aging components.

I could see locking the rudder, but locking the helm wheel, would be like a cars braking system for stop and go driving being in the transmission rather than in the wheels.
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:37   #24

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Not disagreeing, but isn't this alittle paranoid?
--only until you see it save the boat See my earlier post, IMO it saved Blue from major damage.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14   #25

Of course. Why let it wear while it sits and rocks back and forth...

I was once in a slip next to a neighbor who let his rudder flop around for years .After a few years of this his upper bearings were toast and you could hear the rudder post coming up hard against the opening slam, slam, slam... It hurt to listen...

My tiller/rudder is locked in place 100% of the time that it's not being used to steer..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 16:02   #26

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger
Unhappy Re: Lockingthe rudder while moored

[QUOTE=nigel1;965049]Me to, although I use a rope lashing, and for the same reason.

Trying to make a wheel lock to stop rudder whiplash when going astern. Not enough room between the wheel and bulkhead to install a wheel autopilot.

I don't think simple lashing will work for my small traditional design spoked wood wheel. Any ideas much appreciated and no free hands due to distance between twin engine controls!
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 16:09   #27

Boat: Leopard 39

Locking the rudder certainly adds more lateral resistance to sailing around a mooring or an anchor than not; and why allow non-functional repetitive motion injury to your steering system over time? Its the friction of the moving parts that does the damage, no?
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 16:43   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Always good to see an old thread revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
On a tiller steered boat, the only negative (not that its much of a negative) is that there is a line crossing the cockpit when boarding from the transom and its just one extra thing to step over. Not a big deal eh?
FWIW, I simply remove the tiller pilot and replace it with a fixed link when docked or anchored.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 17:20   #29

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am very happy the two previous owners kept the tiller tied off when in the marina. The 54 year-old bronze rudder post and gudgeon are in perfect shape.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 17:32   #30

Boat: Yankee 30'

I liveboard in an often bouncy slip. I lash my tiller hard to my forward extended stern pulpit. I't's out of the way in my small cockpit. If I forget and the wind and waves pick up, the rudder will work it's way over to one side or the other and bang to it's stop that shakes the whole boat.
On mooring or in tidal situation, it's a different story. But on a wheel steered boat in a slip, I would turn the wheel hard over to the side which would present less rudder to the waves, and tie off the wheel just hard enough, so it doesn't wiggle. That would keep all the moving parts from moving, less wear and noise.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder