Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 01:04   #31

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger
Re: Locking the Rudder While Moored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Always good to see an old thread revisited

FWIW, I simply remove the tiller pilot and replace it with a fixed link when docked or anchored.
I am trying to make a wheel lock to stop rudder whiplash when going astern in an old cat with a small wooden wheel? Lashing is not appropriate due to the helm design, there is no room behind the wheel to fit an autopilot autopilot. The location of the wire 'quadrant' is also fairly confined.

I don't think simple lashing will work for my small traditional design spoked wooden wheel. This cannot be a new problem - how did they do it in the past? Any ideas much appreciated. Both hands needed to control the throttles each side of the helm, so no free hand due to distance between them!
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:13   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

If the throttles are either side of the helm, is it possible to just lean some body weight against the wheel?
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:25   #33

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
If the throttles are either side of the helm, is it possible to just lean some body weight against the wheel?
Thanks, but not really need to be able to grab lines etc as well and could not lean against wheel and see over the top of the coach roof! I'm sure someone will give me a link to some sort of DIY fix.
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 19:34   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
How many of you do it, why and why not?
I do it, mostly to protect the bearing of the tiller from rocking around and wearing out the bearings. It would be a serious pain in the neck to pull off the rudder and replace a rudder / tiller bearing. Every time I dock.

Only times I dont do it is because I'm lazy and forget.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 19:36   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
I don't think simple lashing will work for my small traditional design spoked wooden wheel. This cannot be a new problem - how did they do it in the past? Any ideas much appreciated. Both hands needed to control the throttles each side of the helm, so no free hand due to distance between them!
Um, you might try a line tied to both stanchions and wrapped around a couple of the spokes on the wheel. Not rocket science. Not trying to be condescending, but unless your wheel spokes are too weak to be used to steer the boat, this method should work every time even with light nylon line.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder