Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 06:01   #1

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III
Lighter Delta vs. Rusty CQR

I currently have a 35 lb CQR on my 35' sailboat w/nylon and 35' chain rode. Both the chain and anchor are getting pretty rusty and need to be regalvanized (we bought the CQR used so I have no idea how old it is). So I'm reevaluating my ground tackle. My question is this: I also have a 22lb Delta in my shed from a previous boat. The specs say that it will work for a boat my size. I know that anchor design is much more important than its weight but it is so much lighter than the other and I do believe in going "one size up" on equipment like this. On the other hand, it is much easier to handle and w/o a windlass, that's a plus. Does anyone have any opinion on a 22# Delta's adequacy on a 13,000# displacement sailboat? We anchor largely in mud and sand when in home waters. When we're in the Bahamas, weeds are a factor as well.
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:21   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Lighter Delta vs. Rusty CQR

Personally, If you are not going to buy a different anchor, I would stick with the CQR. I would rather have the extra weight on the bottom. You will sleep better if a storm blows up at 0200.

Plus I've always prefered the CQR over the Delta.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Your 35# CQR is barely adequate, and your 22# Delta is inadequate.
I much prefer the Delta design over that of the CQR.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:44   #4
Marine Service Provider

I would recommend an S80 Spade anchor for your application. It weighs in at 33# and has excellent holding and penetrating ability in sand, mud and weeds. Always remember that its the surface area that gives an anchor its holding power, not the weight of the anchor. You can always upsize your anchor and sleep well at night.
SA/USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 13:02   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Neither. I have spent miserable nights dragging both of those crappy anchors (not at the same time!). Scrap both of them and buy a modern anchor, the biggest you can possibly fit in your bow roller.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 13:24   #6

Boat: Bavaria 37

I have changed my CQR for a Delta and I am very very satisfied, mostly for one reason : you know quickly when it holds or not, and when it does, you can have a good sleep, even with 45 knots in a wonderful mooring... or in a Greek port stern to the quay with 10 knots, but gusts at 30 knts...
But I agree with others, the most important is the whole system. We have an anchor of 16 kgs, 60 meters of a 10 mm chain and 20 meters of "nylon"... This for a sailbot of 37' and 6,5 tons (displacement) ... And never less than X 5 the high of the water...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 13:34   #7

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Your 35# CQR is barely adequate, and your 22# Delta is inadequate.
I much prefer the Delta design over that of the CQR.

Soooooo much VALUE is soooooo FEW words!!! Keep it up Gordie!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 14:02   #8

Delta's are fine anchors but Lewmar has always been, let us say, optimistic in it's size chart. Most people recommend a minimium of one size up. I went two sizes up on my last boat and didn't consider it overkill. As mentioned the CQR is OK - but only if you are confident that it's well dug in and you don't expect a wind change.

Having said that, I'd really think about one of the new gen anchors (Supreme, Rocna, Spade, Ultra). It's not just holding power - a well buried CQR is a very strong anchor. Rather I (and all I have talked to) find that they set more reliably and -- more importantly -- they are far more likely to reset after a wind or current change.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 14:03   #9

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III

Thanks for the input. I had initially bought the Delta as a hurricane anchor for our 26' Pearson and according to the company, it is sized for a boat 34-41' long. But of course, the people who write this aren't trying to sleep through a middle of the night storm either. Dragging at 5am is not my idea of a good time. Gord, what is your opinion on the 35# Delta? I don't have a windlass and would rather not get much over that in weight because if anchoring in deep water, the combined weight of the anchor and 40' of chain is a beast! I welcome anyone else's opinions as well.
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 14:54   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I would think it is OK as a lunch hook and for overnights in normal/light weather.

I would pick up a bigger model if we expected anchoring in adverse weather or in less than a good and well known location.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:40   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I was satisfied with my 35# Delta, on a C&C 29 @ 6800#.
I also used an excellent Fortress FX-23, and a ± 25# Bruce (inadequate).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:45   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I have a 22# Delta on a 32' catamaran (as much windage as a 35' mono). Though it is very solid in sand and good mud, in soft mud it is inadequate. I will be upgrading before too long. I think a 35# Delta would be fine, or one of the newer designs. I also have a Fortress as a kedge and 2nd anchor, which you also need.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:47   #13

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

The modern anchors are reported to have better holding on a pound/pound basis. I elected to just increase the number of pounds I lower overboard. Many older anchors rated on size vs holding can (in my opinion!!!) easily achieve equal or greater holding capacity than a so called modern anchor based on cost/pound. Just requires a heavier anchor. I do not support the "lunch hook" concept.

But a consideration of course is how does one get the anchor into and out of the water. I use an 88# Delta on my 40' Silverton aftcabin which weighs somewhere between 25,000-30,000. My Maxwell HWC2200 (24vdc) windlass is loafing when doing the heavy lowering and lifting.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:24   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
The modern anchors are reported to have better holding on a pound/pound basis. I elected to just increase the number of pounds I lower overboard. Many older anchors rated on size vs holding can (in my opinion!!!) easily achieve equal or greater holding capacity than a so called modern anchor based on cost/pound. Just requires a heavier anchor. I do not support the "lunch hook" concept.

But a consideration of course is how does one get the anchor into and out of the water. I use an 88# Delta on my 40' Silverton aftcabin which weighs somewhere between 25,000-30,000. My Maxwell HWC2200 (24vdc) windlass is loafing when doing the heavy lowering and lifting.

Foggy
Good points.

Better holding power/weight is important if the roller will only hold a certain size. I hear that a lot. I need to up-grade and that will be a factor.

Better holding power/weight matters on lighter boats (multihulls), particularly if it helps us lighten up on chain.

Windlasses are sized more for break-out than lifting, it seems, so you're right.

Lunch hooks are only for boats with no windlass. Then they make sense.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:36   #15

Boat: MJM 50 Z

The best combination of weight vs holding would be an aluminum Spade.
There are trade offs though.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, cqr, delta