Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2012, 18:17   #16

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Joining Chain #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Fun Johnson,where do you find Crosby C links,Seaeched the site nothing liste.Thanks for the help
Here you go (click here)
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 18:18   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
For 3/8" chain you can buy this link:

It feeds well as the link-distance is correct. It is G70 rated, 6,600lb. I got it from West Marine in the standard G70 gold-colored finishing. Sprayed it with cold galvanize.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 04:50   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I,have thought of using Dyneema line I,use this line to secure my bridle to 3 strand using loop's.How would you knot the line on chain?Seem's unlikely as the knot would pertrude and not pass thru the gypsy.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 06:08   #19

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

I looked at doing this and it wasnt very expensive to get a proper link welded in at the local chain manufacturer.
Even a decent welding shop should be able to do a better than c link job
Old 17-02-2012, 07:34   #20

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
I,have thought of using Dyneema line I,use this line to secure my bridle to 3 strand using loop's.How would you knot the line on chain?Seem's unlikely as the knot would pertrude and not pass thru the gypsy.
Mine is just a back-up to the c-link, but it's spliced on one side and knotted a stitched on the other. With it only being three links, my windlass just slides right past those with no problem.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 07:51   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

It feeds well as the link-distance is correct. It is G70 rated, 6,600lb. I got it from West Marine in the standard G70 gold-colored finishing. Sprayed it with cold galvanize.

ciao!
Nick.
through a horizontal or vertical windlass? I think mine would choke on that, but have never tried.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:08   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
through a horizontal or vertical windlass? I think mine would choke on that, but have never tried.
Vertical windlass. As you can see, the link maintains precise distance between the end-links of both lengths of chain.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 17-02-2012, 08:38   #23

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Vertical windlass. As you can see, the link maintains precise distance between the end-links of both lengths of chain.

ciao!
Nick.
I'll be dammed
It just looks like the extra bulk will cause hell....but now I need to know if ours will suck this up!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:44   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I'll be dammed
It just looks like the extra bulk will cause hell....but now I need to know if ours will suck this up!!
On a horizontal windlass where the chain only touches 90 degrees of the wheel, the link might jump out but on a vertical where the wheel grabs 180 degrees of chain, that will not happen.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 17-02-2012, 09:15   #25

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Fun Johnson,where do you find Crosby C links,Seaeched the site nothing liste.Thanks for the help
McMaster-Carr
Old 17-02-2012, 09:41   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

ciao!
Nick.
What's it called as I don't remember seeing it when I was on the WM site. maybe they have a 5/16" one.

maybe I'll just cheap out for a a while and get some BBB chain instead of the G4 as I don't expect to be in a big blow doing mostly weekend sails the next few years. In which case there isn't really any loss by using 1 of those C-links
Old 17-02-2012, 11:07   #27

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hiya,
Depending on where you are moored/based I would try and go to a local rigging company that services industrial lifting gear for cranes and hoists. they sell or will obtain a rivetted link, this comes in two halves, which as the name suggests are rivetted together and are as strong as the rest of the chain. because there are no protrusions they will pass over a winch in the same way as your original chain. I use James Mc Gregor in Belfast and get great service.
Good Luck.
Irish Rambler.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 13:11   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

So .................. decided to just bite the bullet and get 275 feet of new 5/16" G4 chain. Got a reasonable good price via Port Supply. I still ended up with a "weak" link as I got a swivel and it is only rated to about 1/2 the load of the chain.

I also was going to just add it to my existing rode so got one of those hammer links, which turns out is rated the same as the swivel. But I figure I would rarely have the rode out enough to even have that connecting link matter.

But West Marine apparently can not measure very good because once I laid it out to mark I found out I have 350 feet of the new chain (which made the chain only $2.69/ft). Now I'm trying to decide if I want to just use the old rode for a secondary anchor.

And I don't have a lot of faith in the paint sticking to the chain and am thinking of spending another $240 on a chain counter to just finish the project up and be done with it (yeah right).
Old 16-03-2012, 14:58   #29
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Don,

Put cable ties on the links at intervals that you choose. They hold up pretty well and are easy to spot as they go out of the chain locker. You can put one, two, three, etc. (even on different sides) to designate the lengths, and/or alternate white and black.

p.s West Marine reads this forum and will be sending you a bill for the extra chain.
Old 16-03-2012, 15:05   #30

Boat: Pearson, 28-1

Hud3,

When you put on cable ties do you trim them or leave them long?

That may be a dumb question but when I put them on mine I left them long as they are even easier to see and seem less likely to jab my hands as I handle the chain (as I construct a chain locker and setup the roller etc. etc.)

I'll be stowing my new chain in the locker in the next few days and it's time to trim the ties if that's the better setup. I don't have a windlass at this point so that's not a consideration.

Thanks,
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote