Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 04:36   #151

Re: Is there a Quality Anchor Swivel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You make it sound like bending anchor shafts is a good thing. It's certainly not a good thing. The risk of this happening is increased when you use a swivel like the WASI which makes a long lever arm to the end of the anchor shaft. It's like using a crow bar on the anchor shaft. It's an awfully expensive way to protect a poorly designed swivel from breaking. The Kong is better in this regard but not by much. The Mantus is completely superior with regard to this particular problem, because it will not lever the anchor shaft at all.

To say that the WASI is stronger in a side pull, you would need to show some facts. What you've seen and heard are only anecdotes. Kong publishes safe working loads for a side pull. That's an example of a fact.

Basic engineering principles such as lever arms and fulcrums say that the WASI, with a big lever arm acting on a skinny neck, with a fulcrum provided as if specially for beaking it, will be weak in a side pull. I would be open to change my mind about the strength in a side pull if someone would provide some actual facts contradicting the apparent engineering qualities of the device. Rather than anecdotes infused by faith and belief.

But strength in a side pull is only one of several problems with this swivel. I would certainly not have one on my boat. But then as I've said, I wouldn't have any swivel at all if I could possibly avoid it.
All anchor schanks will bend when subjected to enough side load. The Wasi forks are strong enough not to bend before the shank bends. They are not the weak link as it is a good high quality shackle.
Quoting numbers is not a substitute for real world experience.

There is nothing wrong with the Wasi shackle and probably nothing wrong with the Kong as well but I have no experience with the kong.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor