Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 15:42   #91

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: How good is the Rocna?

Genuine will have the raised letters C,Q,R in the shank beam.

They are a hella tough forged hunk of metal. Very expensive when new.
Old 05-06-2016, 15:55   #92

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
H
I still have one on board that saw years of use from Nova Scotia to Trinidad. It is showing it's age with wear on the pivot pin, and I understand that this can cause a decrease in performance. I believe mine has been compromised by this wear.
For about $40US you can get a big fat bolt installed.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 18:48   #93

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Genuine will have the raised letters C,Q,R in the shank beam.

They are a hella tough forged hunk of metal. Very expensive when new.
I'll have a look next time I'm down on the boat. It will be nice to have finally got a winner.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 19:15   #94

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
We have an 88# Rocna and a 100# Spade. They both work flawlessly if you take the time to set them properly. This is probably true of almost all well known anchors. ...
I think this is a critical point. The best anchor in the world is still only a small hunk of metal until it is set properly. Most anchoring problems I have seen are more related to poor technique than bad anchor choice. A properly set "old style" anchor is going to be better than a poorly set new-gen anchor.

Of course, the new gen anchors tend to set easier than the older styles. And they reset better as well. But technique, including proper rode, matters big time. So don't just invest in an expensive new anchor. Invest in the skills necessary to make them work.
Old 05-06-2016, 21:16   #95

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

My experience with Rocna was not what some appear to have achieved. I have a 15kg RRR rocna purchased through Rocna from the Sydney boat show some years ago and whilst it is streets ahead of the delta that was on board when i bought the boat it still dragged more times than I was prepared to accept.
It may be that the anchor was marginal in size for my boat (the rocna sales rep insisted that it was the correct size for my boat, and that he knew the brand of boat we were discussing) or that the mud that I sometimes anchor in simply clogged the anchor but it didn't work as I wished and I have since found an anchor better suited to my boat.
If anyone in Sydney Australia is interested in buying an original pre-china NZ made 15 kg RRR don't hesitate to message me.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 00:12   #96

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
My experience with Rocna was not what some appear to have achieved. I have a 15kg RRR rocna purchased through Rocna from the Sydney boat show some years ago and whilst it is streets ahead of the delta that was on board when i bought the boat it still dragged more times than I was prepared to accept.
It may be that the anchor was marginal in size for my boat (the rocna sales rep insisted that it was the correct size for my boat, and that he knew the brand of boat we were discussing) or that the mud that I sometimes anchor in simply clogged the anchor but it didn't work as I wished and I have since found an anchor better suited to my boat.
If anyone in Sydney Australia is interested in buying an original pre-china NZ made 15 kg RRR don't hesitate to message me.
What's the weight of your boat uncle?

According to their web page 'now' mine is very much over powered. But when I purchased it, my 25kg for a 36 footer up to 10tonne is what they recommended.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 00:50   #97

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Rocna sizing shows for the 15kg, 10 meters and up to 8.5 tons.

Looks like uncle bob's boat is 9.75 meters and 8.4 tons. So just in the recommended.

Don't mean to speak for ub, but just wanted to throw this post in to wonder out loud about a couple of things.

Like should added windage from the pilot house be considered.

Or what about the load carried by a boat. Mine in 6.25 tons but I'd guess an added ton of load. I'm a couple inches lower in the water now six years in.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:18   #98
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

We have a 33kg Rocna Very impressed with the holding power but very disappointed with the quality control. We have 2 rust spots on it already and its not even 6 months old ! I intend to get some photo's and send them to Rocna. Must have been made on Chinese new year !!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:23   #99

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
We have a 33kg Rocna Very impressed with the holding power but very disappointed with the quality control. We have 2 rust spots on it already and its not even 6 months old ! I intend to get some photo's and send them to Rocna. Must have been made on Chinese new year !!
Were there spots that weren't galvanized when you purchased it, or did the zinc get scratched from use?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:37   #100
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Looked good when I got it ! Only been anchored in sand or mud with it so far ! Both rust spots are in the same place at the ends of the roll bar .
Old 06-06-2016, 05:55   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I think this is a critical point. The best anchor in the world is still only a small hunk of metal until it is set properly. Most anchoring problems I have seen are more related to poor technique than bad anchor choice. A properly set "old style" anchor is going to be better than a poorly set new-gen anchor.

Of course, the new gen anchors tend to set easier than the older styles. And they reset better as well. But technique, including proper rode, matters big time. So don't just invest in an expensive new anchor. Invest in the skills necessary to make them work.
Amen to that!

And it's amazing how many cruisers don't even test how well they've set their anchors.

It's very simple -- if the anchor is set, you can't pull it out with engine power. So once you've finished setting it, or think you have, just run the engine up to full power and let it run for several minutes. Watch the chart plotter zoomed in to see if you've budged, and/or watch a good transit. If you don't budge an inch, the anchor is set. Make the sundowners. If you are able to move the anchor with engine power, it's not set, and you need to pull it up and do it again, or look for a better spot. It's that simple.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:55   #102

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Funjohnson - please send me a PM with your shipping address...
Wow, you guys are good! PM sent.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-06-2016, 17:30   #103

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
What's the weight of your boat uncle?

According to their web page 'now' mine is very much over powered. But when I purchased it, my 25kg for a 36 footer up to 10tonne is what they recommended.

Quote:
Rocna sizing shows for the 15kg, 10 meters and up to 8.5 tons.

Looks like uncle bob's boat is 9.75 meters and 8.4 tons. So just in the recommended.

Don't mean to speak for ub, but just wanted to throw this post in to wonder out loud about a couple of things.

Like should added windage from the pilot house be considered.

Or what about the load carried by a boat. Mine in 6.25 tons but I'd guess an added ton of load. I'm a couple inches lower in the water now six years in.
Four winds, your figures are pretty much on the money, and as said the rep assured me that the sizing was correct.
To be fair the anchor is so much better than the sometimes set delta, but still not quite what I was hoping for.
I have found that the excell from Rex to be a much better fit for me.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 17:43   #104

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Four winds, your figures are pretty much on the money, and as said the rep assured me that the sizing was correct.
To be fair the anchor is so much better than the sometimes set delta, but still not quite what I was hoping for.
I have found that the excell from Rex to be a much better fit for me.
Good feedback from a user of a Rocna and a Sarca Excel.

The Excel certainly gets a great rap from users.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 17:46   #105

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Looked good when I got it ! Only been anchored in sand or mud with it so far ! Both rust spots are in the same place at the ends of the roll bar .
Iirc the ends of the tube are cut straight leaving a fairly sharp edge which would cause any coating (paint or galvanizing) to be thinner and wear or erode faster. Perhaps Rocna will fix it, but if not you can try Ospho and cold galvanizing spray.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna